Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I feel inadequate with my baby dogs on my MS400!šŸ¤View attachment 1057818
They're sufficient for my needs. The Pro Safetys look mean but then I'd need to get a 24" bar. These work well with my 20" bar.
None of my saws look that clean. I hope u don't leave that bar upside down often. Unless you like refilling the sugar. :yes:

I think I need a new sprocket on my 170. Changed it about a year ago. Will go with a rim sprocket this time.
View attachment 1057824
I need a new B&C also for this saw. I really don't like pico chains (I think that's what it's called). Teeth brake off too easily. Would anyone put a 0.050 regular chain on a 170 with 14" bar? Asking too much out of the saw?
Was it oem, did you get new chains when you changed it.
I think stihl picco chain is great, it will make a little saw cut like a little bigger saw, swap it out for 325 or standard 3/8 and you'll want to throw that little saw in the trash.
Never had a problem with picco(stihl brand) or any other LP chains tossing cutters until they were down to past the witness marks. The chain on my ms200 rear handle is right down there at the moment and it needs to be sharpened, probably only 1-3 more light sharpening left on it.

Letā€™s see you haul a load like that out of East Lakeā€¦

For those of you not getting this reference, hereā€™s examples of the drive out of East Lake. Depending which way you go, East Lake is in the middle of a 33 mile point to point trail.

Notice the name of the club in this one, from discussions a few weeks ago.

I had the top blow out of a dead standing Ash that I cut up with my MS170. Burned a little in the firepit this weekend. Nice and hot. And Hard! Clanked two pieces together and it sounded like Hedge. Had I know the branches were that solid, I'd save a stick to make a handle for my cant hook. Must not have been dead long since it was so solid. More small ones in my woods.

Speaking of the 170, it was leaking oil, so i put in a new AM pump, hose and filter. Got it running without the bar and it finally started pumping out oil. I've used it twice now on small branch wood and no oil is coming out. Re-cleaned the bar and holes after the first use in case I missed that initially. Used it and still no oil
I plan on taking off B&C and running it to see if pump is still working. If not, I need to take off the clutch and see if the pickup wire is mating.
I don't trust myself with the stuffed cord method, so I'm looking at piston stops (14mm?). Looks like two types out there. The screw in kind:
https://www.amazon.com/PISTON-CHAIN...prefix=stihl+piston+stop+tool,aps,1396&sr=8-3And stick kind which I don't understand how it works:
https://www.amazon.com/Stihl-Stihl-...prefix=stihl+piston+stop+tool,aps,1396&sr=8-6
What's the difference? Chainsaws, lawn mowers and outboard motors ar 14mm right? Some tools have a 10mm side. What's a 10mm spark pug for?

Didn't mean to get this long winded.
The oiler can't keep up with that 4' bar!!!! Lol Sorry, couldn't help myself šŸ¤ŖšŸ¤Ŗ

Yesterday I managed to dice up the trees I had pushed over Sunday. I picked up a load of wood, and the kids did two(not as big as mine), and I got a smaller bucket of pieces I put in the to be split pile. The kids and my wife also took all the branches to the bonfire pit.
It's all black locust and cherry. @Lionsfan you can see the snow pile in the back left, that and the piles under the overhangs of the barn are almost all that's left here.
20230213_104720.jpg
Then I pushed another over and went to work.
20230213_112555.jpg
Today I diced up the one left from yesterday and pushed over two more, and loosened another up that was in line with these two but a little closer to me in the picture. One maple and one black locust, and loosened another maple. I picked up the one bucket that went to the to be split pile, and left a small amount down there yet as it started to rain. May clean those up before work tomorrow.
20230214_181932.jpg

Dang, 5 pages since I last posted!!

So, I own a little baby truck, Chevy Colorado. But I abuse the hell out of it. And anything I canā€™t do with that, bother in-law has a 3/4 ton. Anything that canā€™t handle, weā€™ll I just borrow a pals 5500 dump

Ask Mustang Mike about the two dumps I snagged for the weekend we put the concrete floor in at his cabin that is MILES off the paved roads deep in on logging trails.

And, did I hear someone say .405???

I am happy to say, I own one. Havenā€™t shot it yet but she is a BIG BOY for sure 7DEF287D-589A-4C10-8B1D-F85B5EA340CD.jpeg40520CF8-7774-4497-B46F-7DCE4EA62BB6.jpeg

Someone asked a few pages back whether peppermints have any aroma. The leaves have a eucalyptus/pepperminty smell when crushed and there are small essential oil businesses here and there that make it commercially. The wood when burned has quite a pleasant sweet smelling smoke, not really sure what to compare it to.

Second one today...

15th Feb 3.jpg

Ended up with

15th Feb 4.jpg

plus a bit in the ute.

15th Feb 5.jpg

The bigger end of the first one was still green but the smaller end was dry enough to burn and the second one is ready to burn now :happybanana:

Noticed a chainsaw case out at the curb with other trash pickup items. Could always use a case . Picked it up and there was a saw in it . Think I should have left the saw . :omg:
View attachment 1057607View attachment 1057608
I have one of those. An earlier one with conventional bar nuts and chain adjustment. Gave it an ignorant muffler mod and put a loop of Stihl Picco on it and it's one of my favorite small wood/limbing saws. Plus it's always good to have a decent runner you don't really care about.

Here's a couple for the wildlife lovers. :surprised3:

15th Feb 7.jpg

These guys are always around. It's always fun when they crawl up your leg unnoticed and work their way up to your shoulder before you finally see this big hairy thing in your peripheral vision a couple of inches from your face. Sure gets the party started.

Then there was this fella. The wedge-tailed eagle, the largest and coolest of our eagle species. Wonder why they're called that šŸ¤” . They mate for life so you often see two of them wheeling around looking for small and squeaky things.

15th Feb 6.jpg

True story: a popular and well-respected local lady died a few years ago. She was a mad West Coast Eagles fan (they are a team in our national Aussie rules football comp) and at the end of her service as she was being carried to the hearse, she had requested that the West Coast Eagles club song be played. As it was being played, a pair of wedge-tailed eagles appeared and circled above as she was carried out. I kid you not.

Man, you still have that cool trailer Cowboy?

I often thought it reminds me of our ā€œmilitaryā€ trailers. Theyā€™d make a good scrounging trailer. I have often thought a old horse trailer as itā€™s double axle and real tires

I used to use my ATV trailer. But burning up the little bearings when itā€™s over loaded is no fun.

Letā€™s kick the trailer pics and suggestions again

My brother in law has a dump I can borrow

But letā€™s see what you all use

1/2 tons are toy trucks . I only have one and itā€™s a 68 and I lowered that one 3 inches in front and 4 in the rear . If I canā€™t haul in it I might as well scrape the basement ,the other old ones are 3/4 ton
Maintenance and repair costs for 3/4 + ton trucks over came my needs for them. I've only had "toy" 1/2 tons for the past 25 years. As they're mostly drivers not haulers I've been ok. Sometimes it takes two trips.

It's been a while since I installed the bumper spikes on my 461... However, from looking at my 461 and 661 the clip simply slips over the end of the stud to hold the plastic "pipe" onto the stud. I don't recall or see a groove for it per se.
Oops, right, duhā€¦šŸ™„

For those of you not getting this reference, hereā€™s examples of the drive out of East Lake. Depending whicDSC_0588.JPGh way you go, East Lake is in the middle of a 33 mile point to point trail.
One of my first runs of Dusy we got to the base of Thomson and somebody asked on the radio, "where's the trail? All I can see is a steep boulder field on the right".
Answer..."That is the trail." North gatekeeper pic...

...Now, what about them leaf springs?

Basically, you take them off and hammer them back to the amount of arch that you want. Using a really massive vise, squeeze it down onto a block of steel that leaves about 3 inches of open air. Holding each leaf spring balanced on both sides of the vise, you bang on it with a big hammer to put the arch back into it. 5 to 8 pound sledges work great, particularly if you have a short handle.

Now the spring shops will have all kinds of hydraulic presses and spring reworking hammer devices, but all you need is some patience, a big hammer, and a really sturdy vise.

I didn't find any good youtube videos that depict this, but this one will give you the right idea. Please notice that the big block of steel they are hammering against has a concave surface to force the bend into the spring.

LOTS more methods; search google for "re-arch leaf springs with hammer".

clean, paint, and lube before you reassemble, too.

I put the small dogs on my 462 so I get the most reach, those 25" stihl bars seem a little short :sucks:.
I never understood why Stihl calls them 25" bars. The exact same bar is 24" for every other brand.
Germany Win GIF by World Cup

Man, you still have that cool trailer Cowboy?

Yep, stihl going. It's not huge (7 x 4.5 ft) but normally by the time I've filled it and the back of the Ranger I've just about had enough fun for one day. I put some light truck tyres on it several years ago.

Latest posts

Back