Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 220 Swift liked the 55 grain V-Max bullets, but no better than their 55 grain Hp bullets which now seem to only be available in lots of 5 or 6 thousand rounds.

My 223 likes the 52 + 55 gr Hp better than the 55 gr V-Max bullets.

I got some 53 grain V-Max bullets I have not tried yet. If you go to the website, the 55 gr HP and 53 grain V-Max both (surprisingly) have a higher BC than the 55 grain V-Max bullet! Given the velocity produced by the 220, the BC is important.

Midway USA used to repackage the 55 gr Hp bullets into 500 round boxes, but they are NLA. I guess the 500 will have to last for a while!

Actually thinking about it, I can't remember any f100's having very high GVW either.
F100'a were junk, my buddy had one that he bought new, and I remember looking at the frame and it was swiss cheesed!!

Ford replaced quite a few of them that the frames cracked/broke that weren't abused!

SR

I love cutting Euc. It was our primary wood in Cali.
Don't have any around here though.View attachment 1058938View attachment 1058939

I love seeing those overseas eucalypt pics. I know a fair number of blue gums and some red gums were planted in California but the blue gums grew like weeds and were not as dense as they are here so the experiment didn't really work. The trunks and rounds look like blue gum but the leaves look different so I'm not entirely what you had there. There are 700 odd species of eucalypt so the broad term doesn't narrow it down much.

I love seeing those overseas eucalypt pics. I know a fair number of blue gums and some red gums were planted in California but the blue gums grew like weeds and were not as dense as they are here so the experiment didn't really work. The trunks and rounds look like blue gum but the leaves look different so I'm not entirely what you had there. There are 700 odd species of eucalypt so the broad term doesn't narrow it down much.
Big blue took out the top of a red gum which is why you see some of that.
I dropped what was left of the trunk. Much of that red went to a wood turner friend and it wound up being some of his favorite.
I started cutting up blow downs in that open space grove in 1999. Kept me and several friends in wood for many years until we moved in 2021.
good times 😁

I've never loaded firewood in one, but I have loaded X-mas trees into one, and it was a PITA.
I hear that. Never loaded any myself. Have however unloaded more of those than I could count. For years after going from construction to a desk job unloading freight 2 or 3 early mornings every week kept me in shape. Didn't mind the extra income tho.

I hear that. Never loaded any myself. Have however unloaded more of those than I could count. For years after going from construction to a desk job unloading freight 2 or 3 early mornings every week kept me in shape. Didn't mind the extra income tho.
I helped harvest X-mas trees for several years to hustle a few extra bucks and I don't honestly recommend it to anyone!

You need a 7 TCU Contender or 7 IHMSA handgun!
More fun than a 44 Raging Bull!
My uncle has a Contender with the
.30-30 barrel. I'd like to load some 165 grain spizters for it. I think that would be a deer killing machine. I shot a 7 TCU Contender years ago. That was a sweet shooting rig with a bipod and scope. We were easily popping beer cans at 150 yards with it.

I want to get into a local long range silhouette revolver league. I believe they shoot up to 150 yards with open sight revolvers. I think it would be a hoot.

I've never loaded firewood in one, but I have loaded X-mas trees into one, and it was a PITA.
Had a regular customer call me for firewood one year near Christmas. They said they would stop on their way home from getting a tree. Later that day a big U-haul (18 footer?) box truck pulls in. About a dozen trees stacked in the front and we threw a 1/2 cord on the back.

Back