Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to get the last two black locust and a smaller maple I pushed down diced up and all the brush is now on the pile. I also got all the stumps put on or beside the bonfire piles.
I got 3 decent loads for the to be split pile, one good sized smaller round load for the woodshed, one that was certainly not full, but that one I also got a bunch of dead branches that I will bring into the house when I haul wood in here tomorrow, they are already in the wheelbarrow just waiting for me:happy:.
Then I pushed one more 14", it was a nice day, especially with the sun shining.
This was one of the three decent loads.
View attachment 1058887
But the most amazing part of the day happened a bit after I refilled my saw and I realized that one of my top cover screws was missing, I must not have tightened it. I looked around for a bit for it, then went back to cutting. Then I was like, I need to pray about it, so I did, and guess what :dancing:. Come celebrate with me, for I've found my lost screw 😄. I'm sure you all knew I had a screw loose lol.
I started to pick it up with gloves on it, then I was like I gotta take a picture of that, it wasn't as visible as the snow came off the top of most of it when I picked it up. I basically saw the shape of the screw in the snow and something in it.
View attachment 1058889
See where the two rounds rolled a little away, it was just past the round that is closer to the rest.
Still can't believe I found it.
View attachment 1058888
God is awesome.

How’d you pull the stumps?

I know, unfortunately that's why I don't shoot like I used to, well that and kids! My buddys and I used to have range days at the local pit. We'd shoot hundreds of rounds each. I'd regularly pound 200 rounds through my .44 Raging Bull. I miss those days!
Stocked with a good variety. I have a few x39 platforms and I decided to make sure I bought more than a few cases of it for about $150-$300 a case.

God is awesome.

How’d you pull the stumps?
Yes sir!
Pushed the whole tree over with the tractor. I have at least 6 I won't be able to easily do that with that I want down, those I'll probably grind the stumps this spring/summer when I rent a large grinder for a job I already have lined up for it.

Stocked with a good variety. I have a few x39 platforms and I decided to make sure I bought more than a few cases of it for about $150-$300 a case.
View attachment 1058893
A guys gotta start somewhere:laughing:.
I hope you have mags and loaders for them :yes:.

Did the 461r oil pump upgrade. Think it was @Sierra_rider that suggested the parts for the upgrade. Dealer couldn't get the parts, but could get the complete pump. Stock pump was ok with the 20" bar. It does just fine with the 24" in hardwood. Don't think I'd push it much further though. Put it on for a Poplar and never took it off. Been in white oak, ash and locus lately. So long as I don't get greedy with the depth gauges it pulls it very well. Has a bark box on it too. That was a big difference over the stock cover. Just wish it wasn't so fricken loud.

For those who can get the parts, it's the "pump piston" and "oil control bolt" for a 461R. It's the cheaper option compared to a whole new oiler. My dealer told me to I tinker too much and that it would never work...the oiler housings are the same across a variety of Stihls...it absolutely dumps oil if I'm only running the 28". I

IIRC, the stock 400 is rated for something like 15 ccs of oil a minute, standard 461 is about 18, and the 461R is somewhere in the mid 20's...I just remember that it was a huge gap between the 1/2 wrap 461 and the 461R, so my numbers may be a bit off.

The 461R oiler is capable of oiling a 36" bar no problem IMO...with my ported 400, it sees no more than a 32"...I run a 28" 99% of the time. The suspension gets kinda clunky with anything heavier than a 28" lwb.

G'day fellers,

Got out on the scrounge today. First though, went for a run. I haven't missed a day so far this year, but it is easy when you've got mornings like this. When it is thumping down rain in winter things might get tough.

19th Feb 1.jpg

Waited until 9am then went out to Mitch's farm. This pile of mostly bluegum junk had a few peppermint logs and bonfire poles which I winkled out. Got half a load of peppermint that can be burned this year out of it.

19th Feb 6.jpg

Then I went down to these candlebark logs from last week.

12th Feb 4.jpg

Cut one and a bit of those logs. Pretty green but will be fine for winter next year.

19th Feb 2.jpg

Ended up with this for the morning

19th Feb 3.jpg

Or to put it another way (with a few sneaky bits in the ute)...

19th Feb 4.jpg

Loaded up the bonfire poles on the way out and tied down with over-the-top lashings of rope so Mr Plod didn't feel obliged to pull me over for who-knows-what.

19th Feb 5.jpg

Sure enough, passed a highway patrol car on the side of the road on the way home. He didn't stop me.

:)

Managed to get the last two black locust and a smaller maple I pushed down diced up and all the brush is now on the pile. I also got all the stumps put on or beside the bonfire piles.
I got 3 decent loads for the to be split pile, one good sized smaller round load for the woodshed, one that was certainly not full, but that one I also got a bunch of dead branches that I will bring into the house when I haul wood in here tomorrow, they are already in the wheelbarrow just waiting for me:happy:.
Then I pushed one more 14", it was a nice day, especially with the sun shining.
This was one of the three decent loads.
View attachment 1058887
But the most amazing part of the day happened a bit after I refilled my saw and I realized that one of my top cover screws was missing, I must not have tightened it. I looked around for a bit for it, then went back to cutting. Then I was like, I need to pray about it, so I did, and guess what :dancing:. Come celebrate with me, for I've found my lost screw 😄. I'm sure you all knew I had a screw loose lol.
I started to pick it up with gloves on it, then I was like I gotta take a picture of that, it wasn't as visible as the snow came off the top of most of it when I picked it up. I basically saw the shape of the screw in the snow and something in it.
View attachment 1058889
See where the two rounds rolled a little away, it was just past the round that is closer to the rest.
Still can't believe I found it.
View attachment 1058888
Bar nuts were always mine problem. Now I have spares and..... I haven't lost any since.

Bar nuts were always mine problem. Now I have spares and..... I haven't lost any since.
That's funny James. I keep spares in my box and I don't think I've lost one since either, just never thought about it. Maybe we've just gotten better keeping our....well anyway, you know 😬.
The new captive nuts sure are nice too.

G'day fellers,

Got out on the scrounge today. First though, went for a run. I haven't missed a day so far this year, but it is easy when you've got mornings like this. When it is thumping down rain in winter things might get tough.

View attachment 1058927

Waited until 9am then went out to Mitch's farm. This pile of mostly bluegum junk had a few peppermint logs and bonfire poles which I winkled out. Got half a load of peppermint that can be burned this year out of it.

View attachment 1058926

View attachment 1058931

Cut one and a bit of those logs. Pretty green but will be fine for winter next year.

View attachment 1058928

G'day fellers,

View attachment 1058927

View attachment 1058926

View attachment 1058931

View attachment 1058928
I love cutting Euc. It was our primary wood in Cali.
Don't have any around here though.PC222046a.jpgPC222044a.jpg

I used to regularly lose bar nuts on my 044 that I used to use at work...until I zip-tied a couple of spares to the handle, I didn't lose any after that. Now I run a 462R with captured nuts, so I don't even think about spares.

You must have skipped some posts, I responded to that a while ago. I'm up to my ears in tax work, but if you need me to post it again I will.
Sorry, I thought you just posted that you liked the aftermarket ones, if you stated the specific ones I might have missed it.

Latest posts

Back