Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellers,

Got out on the scrounge today. First though, went for a run. I haven't missed a day so far this year, but it is easy when you've got mornings like this. When it is thumping down rain in winter things might get tough.

View attachment 1058927

Waited until 9am then went out to Mitch's farm. This pile of mostly bluegum junk had a few peppermint logs and bonfire poles which I winkled out. Got half a load of peppermint that can be burned this year out of it.

View attachment 1058926

Then I went down to these candlebark logs from last week.

View attachment 1058931

Cut one and a bit of those logs. Pretty green but will be fine for winter next year.

View attachment 1058928
zzzzxmr.jpe
SM should like that early dawn moonrise pix!!!

those lil drill/mills are great! i have spent hundreds of hours using one to make specialty parts. their utility and accuracy goes way up with HD clamps and machining table vises... i have on i bolt to x-y bed i can barely lift... no end mill chatter at all! rigidity is the key! 👍

machining center line looks ideal! ~
I've got a decent compliment of lathe tooling, so now I'm trying to stock up on milling equipment. Luckily I received a whole buck of end mills with the lathe when I bought that. I kept them as I had a feeling I'd end up with a mill eventually.

I've got a 1/2 decent vise for it and a 6" rotary table so far. Also got a couple sets of clamps that came with the lathe as well. Of course a set of R8 collets too.
looks like that mill flattens beer cans quite well!! 🤩

There are some beer cans, but most sparkling water nowadays. I've been on a sparkling water kick, as it keeps me from drinking as much alcohol as I used to. The mill chips get hidden in the recycling, adds weight. :laugh:

I've never loaded firewood in one, but I have loaded X-mas trees into one, and it was a PITA.
i can remember being on a helper crew. pal had a Peterbilt going OTR... and managed to get into town with trailer trouble... full of vegetables. i forget what kind. and they all... needed to be pulled and put into another trailer! think it was an almost forever job! but - got free dinner out of it and couple
:givebeer: 👍

There are some beer cans, but most sparkling water nowadays. I've been on a sparkling water kick, as it keeps me from drinking as much alcohol as I used to. The mill chips get hidden in the recycling, adds weight. :laugh:
i like ur shop! mill, lathe and a welder and a man can make many things....

i have read some amazing alcohol tales of woe here on the AS. some even rival those LD shots and that elk across the valley hillside... a few clicks! lol that were a miss....

I hear that. Never loaded any myself. Have however unloaded more of those than I could count. For years after going from construction to a desk job unloading freight 2 or 3 early mornings every week kept me in shape. Didn't mind the extra income tho.
zzzzxme.JPG

I helped harvest X-mas trees for several years to hustle a few extra bucks and I don't honestly recommend it to anyone!
then there was the summer up in PNW... when usns kids were going to get rich.... picking strawberries! :laugh:

Spent the day cleaning up the split wood trash, used it for fire pit fuel. Was a nice day here in KY, I think we are almost out of the woods as far as cold weather goes. At least I hope so because I’m out of seasoned wood. Hope you fellers are staying warm.View attachment 1059025
hi Bstihl - i pulled out some seasoned firewood couple days ago. put it up some 45 years ago. still burns like 2nd seasoned oak!

When I was heavy into shooting silhouettes, it was chickens at 50 meters, pigs at 100 meters, geese at 150 meters and rams at 200 meters. I'll do a little bragging right here :muscle:and say I won 13 matches in a row with my S&W M-29. I loved that shooting game!

SR
I did ya know......

:numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone::numberone:

Kodiak Kid, I bet there is lots of used truck tire chains around your way. Just buy a few sets and modify them to fit. I have maybe 25 sets of tire chains laying around. I double them up on my tractor for a smoother ride. Also makes less of a mess in mud. When I die there are gonna be a lot of happy people. Not just my wife.
Don't I need special tools for making tire chains?

Never lost one from vibration. Lost plenty out in the woods by dropping them in the moss and such when chaining up a fresh loop though. However, I torque them down a bit tighter then spec also.
i put a drop of Loctite Blue on mine, never lost one yet! ~

Back