Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah...yes. It all depends though doesn't it? I've cut wood over here that has caused a stihl RS chain to end up with a full set of teeth with the corner bent over backwards and carbide chain with cutters just broken off. I think you could go square in some wood here but others you'd be trying to repair the damage after every cut. Semi-chisel only for proper hardwoods.
Finaly!! Now I understand the purpose of semi chisel chain! That makes perfect sense Cowboy. Good on ya!
Keep your heals down, toes out, hold her head, and let her buck all the way to town Pard!🤠

Many do, they say it's a great nighttime sniper tool that's commonly used out of season :cool:.
The .22 is how my grandpa's family got meat when he was growing up in the northwoods of Wisconsin. They didn't actively poach but would always have a .22 along. His dad would shoot a deer, throw it in the trunk and the whole family would help get it butchered and canned that night. There'd be no evidence by the time the sun came up.
Friends don't let friends use a sloping backcut, these guys obviously have chosen their friends poorly :(.
Ahhh...the farmer's cut. The way I was taught to fell trees by my other grandpa. The theory behind it is if it sits back it won't fall backwards. :buttkick:There's also no way to wedge it if it sits back. Thankfully I found you guys and I found the right way.

Ahh yes, another four tires and another battery to take care of. I wish I had bought stock in a Battery manufacturer a long time ago. I purchase one per month. Congrats. I wa looking at the last pics you posted of putting up some firewook with your neighbor, and seeing all the piles of culls (I imagine thats what they were, not the dump) You might be surprised at the ability to work those without any tracks, the terrain looked bumpy, but not too bad. Can't wait to see it working

Got me a 359 the neighbor locked up I need to put a cylinder in myself.
Think it's hyway thay makes a hybrid 357/359 cylinder. Keeps the 359 displacement but has closed transfer ports. Really liked the way it runs on mine.
I had to re-read that, I thought you were talking about the coil packs and spark plugs still :laugh:.
Maybe you saw pics of my tractor with a top on it :omg:.
Experience is what you get when things don't go as planned, and I've got lots of it :yes:.

Sounds good to me, cause I know nothing about them lol. Oem is usually a good place to start.
I already put an insert in the back drivers side, that one wasn't too bad, the back passenger side, doesn't look too fun.
My brother's f350 has the 6.8l in it, I nearly was Convienced we should have just pulled the cab off to do the rear plugs. Man they are buried back there.
I don't hunt deer so I don't know anything. You're saying people use a 22 rifle on deer? Maybe I misunderstood. Good ground hog gun though.
Think more along the lines of spot light and out the window of a truck.... the not so legal taking of game.
Some have tried it, and there have been threads devoted to it, it was the rage last yr when no-one could get it here in the states lol. It's a neat setup if you can't file square or don't want to spend money on a grinder.
What's funny is it's ground similarly to how guys used to file when they couldn't get round files, they would just hold a regular file at an angle and go for it. Basically it was like square with the "bevel" being an 1/8" below the working corner.

No it's not.

Nope, got a stack of it downstairs. I study those chains when they first came out to see what it would take with a grinder, it takes multiple passes on a standard round grinder.

Mine all seem to get along just fine, but you have to keep the ratio right, just like mixing oil ;).
This is the wheelbarrow right now, it will be getting changed up a bit this week.
View attachment 1059644
I'll have to dig a new one out of the box and look at it again when I get home tonight. I distinctly remember commenting on here after I got my first loop, what file I was supposed to use as a std 7/32 file doesn't fit its profile or even close.

Edit: it's square. Found a pic of it in husqys web site.
Screenshot_20230221_063540_Samsung Internet.jpg

@chipper1 you know, I'm thinking those square x-cut loops I have must be skip tooth, I didn't see any full comp square ground on husqys site. Ill post up picts this evening.
H-83 is square, but only full skip, I have a few loops of 3/8x115DL

H-83 is square, but only full skip, I have a few loops of 3/8x115DL
Idk, it's the only x-cut I've ever used. Which got me thinking sitting here this morning. I can't remember where I got those first 2 boxes of x-cut from, but last year I grabbed a 5 pack of them off ebay (20" loops) I haven't needed them since I got the 400, I ran the still 20" b/c for a while then swapped out to the 24" bar and haven't ran 20" since. So I never opened any of the new loops. Just odd, I don't typically buy skip tooth chain. I'll dig them all out when I get home tonight. But just thinking about it, I think your right.

Idk, it's the only x-cut I've ever used. Which got me thinking sitting here this morning. I can't remember where I got those first 2 boxes of x-cut from, but last year I grabbed a 5 pack of them off ebay (20" loops) I haven't needed them since I got the 400, I ran the still 20" b/c for a while then swapped out to the 24" bar and haven't ran 20" since. So I never opened any of the new loops. Just odd, I don't typically buy skip tooth chain. I'll dig them all out when I get home tonight. But just thinking about it, I think your right.
I don’t believe the make a square full comp chain , to my knowledge.

https://www.baileysonline.com/husqv...chisel-skiptooth-chainsaw-chain-hva-h83p.html

Think it's hyway thay makes a hybrid 357/359 cylinder. Keeps the 359 displacement but has closed transfer ports. Really liked the way it runs on mine.

My brother's f350 has the 6.8l in it, I nearly was Convienced we should have just pulled the cab off to do the rear plugs. Man they are buried back there.

Think more along the lines of spot light and out the window of a truck.... the not so legal taking of game.

I'll have to dig a new one out of the box and look at it again when I get home tonight. I distinctly remember commenting on here after I got my first loop, what file I was supposed to use as a std 7/32 file doesn't fit its profile or even close.

Edit: it's square. Found a pic of it in husqys web site.
View attachment 1059663
Thanks for the tip sir!! It's actually my neighbors but still, better is better! Need to get his done as he has my 359 in the mean time!

My brother's f350 has the 6.8l in it, I nearly was Convienced we should have just pulled the cab off to do the rear plugs. Man they are buried in there.
Yeah, they're buried. I always start with the passenger side. I'm 6'4" with gangly arms(my coworker's assessment) so it's not terrible for me. The under hood creepers make it a bit easier. They keep you from catching your crotch on the hood latch while you're laying under the hood. Ask me how I know, not a good feeling!

Hope you never have to do a 3v 6.8 with the high thread plugs. I might quit if I ever have to do one of those again!:surprised3::surprised3::surprised3:

......Oh, and biscuits and gravy for dinner. The pork sausage in the gravy was homemade from the wild hogs I shot last spring.

View attachment 1059595View attachment 1059596
A place I worked at as a kid made great B&Gs. They'd grind up all their extra precooked link sausage and throw it in the gravy. Thick like yours.
When we use to camp with my Sister and BIL, she would make killer B&Gs also. Great in the morning after sitting around a late night camp fire drinking a little something something. Unfortunately, my stomach can't handle all that grease anymore and I don't eat it as often as I did.

These days it is illegal to hunt and take deer with any .22 caliber rimfire. Nor do I myself hunt or suggest anyone else hunt deer with any .22 caliber rimfire. However, a lot of people STIHL do. Over the past century people have been harvesting deer off their front and back porches with a .22 Especially during closed season or if they dont possess a tag during open season. Because of its low report, it makes a great deer poatching cartridge, and just about anyone who lives in the country, or out in the sticks. Has a .22 if they hunt anything at all. I hope this clarifies my previous post on this subject.👍
Ah, I forgot about spot lighting as Chipper indicated. And poaching of course. I thought there would be legal restrictions for ethical hunters. I know there's some shot size restrictions on some game birds.

I was asking about deer because I have a 22 and a herd a deer run through our 5 ac residential property. Some nice does. Tear up the trees and get into the garden. I only get deer meat from my Brother who bow hunts. But his spot to hunt has been reduced to about 100 yd x 100 yd section in a patch of woods due to changing ownership. He hasn't harvested a deer in years.

Maybe I'll harvest a 'yard' deer with my 22? Of course, just kidding. I know how far 22s can travel and how dangerous that would be.

Latest posts

Back