Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, just had both saws in the barrow and thought it was a fitting picture. Need to go through the 394 and get it running again...been ages since I ran it.
Got me a 359 the neighbor locked up I need to put a cylinder in myself.

Had a nice time working in the garage with the boys tonight. Tried to teach them a few things about snowmobile and car repair. Got one of the dead snowmobiles working and did a little bit of maintenance on another. Have one more sitting in there that needs a new fuel pump but it needs the recoil removed to get at the fuel pump… I don’t know why Cat couldn’t make it easy like the Polaris fuel pumps that sit up on the air box.

Also put new ground cable on the truck and it cranks over much easier. In addition to a very poorly install replacement clamp, the wire insulation itself was failing for most of the length of the cable.

Oh, and biscuits and gravy for dinner. The pork sausage in the gravy was homemade from the wild hogs I shot last spring.

B0A36EB4-03B9-4BB1-8E0E-9E3724C700F3.jpeg0E05C117-0841-4EF1-BF00-60174158AA00.jpeg56BDAEAD-B5DB-4631-9335-B7A1A417597D.jpeg546E65EC-23C4-4BD1-A5A5-5FBA7BBFA089.jpegCB819A93-63C6-4F4D-92BB-2C386DE70EE3.jpeg

What would be a good price for a used S175?
I'm not exactly sure I'm the one to ask. 🤣 It would all depend on the hours I guess. They are a pre emissions machine, so that ups the resale value a bit think. This is my first heavy equipment purchase. I picked mine up for a little over 40k after shipping. It has just under 250 hours. I think I got a fair deal? I hope I got a fair deal! 🤣 The S175 is discontinued, but the model Bob Cat offers now with the same ROC and weight is around 60-65k I think.
If your in the market? I can give you a number to call that is a good new and used HE source.

Had a nice time working in the garage with the boys tonight. Tried to teach them a few things about snowmobile and car repair. Got one of the dead snowmobiles working and did a little bit of maintenance on another. Have one more sitting in there that needs a new fuel pump but it needs the recoil removed to get at the fuel pump… I don’t know why Cat couldn’t make it easy like the Polaris fuel pumps that sit up on the air box.

Also put new ground cable on the truck and it cranks over much easier. In addition to a very poorly install replacement clamp, the wire insulation itself was failing for most of the length of the cable.

Oh, and biscuits and gravy for dinner. The pork sausage in the gravy was homemade from the wild hogs I shot last spring.

View attachment 1059592View attachment 1059593View attachment 1059594View attachment 1059595View attachment 1059596
Man I love me some B&G!!!😍 One of my favorites and a frequent meal in the la cosa del KK!

6 Marlins, forgot the .44

22, 25-20, .44, 32special, .35rem, 45-70

Just need to find a .30-30

But what I’d really like to find is a Ruger No1 in 30-30. I’d love to load up some pointed pretty’s for it!
More deer have probably been harvested with a 30-30 than any other cartridge besides maybe the. 22LR.

I had one identical to that in 35 Remington. Now it is a custom 358 Winchester.

View attachment 1059562

View attachment 1059563
That looks awesome!
What the heck is it sitting on o_O
6 Marlins, forgot the .44

22, 25-20, .44, 32special, .35rem, 45-70

Just need to find a .30-30

But what I’d really like to find is a Ruger No1 in 30-30. I’d love to load up some pointed pretty’s for it!
Dad's got a model 1 in 45-70 iirc, that's stupid to me, that's not one I liked to shoot :oops:.

Chipper, be real careful with your Asian push overs, I see sometimes the tree rocks back and forth, and I have seen the tops break off and fall down on the vehicle pushing it (don't ask how I know this). I'm thinking it may be safer it you pre-cut it a bit, and this is a chainsaw website!
I had to re-read that, I thought you were talking about the coil packs and spark plugs still :laugh:.
Maybe you saw pics of my tractor with a top on it :omg:.
Experience is what you get when things don't go as planned, and I've got lots of it :yes:.
I'll echo this either Motorcraft/ ford plugs or autolite plugs. As funny as this may sound rock auto has had the best prices for Motorcraft plugs. I would have ordered them for the escape but one of the acdelco plugs the previous owner put in had cracked insulator, so iridium autolites from auto zone rip off it was. Inky reason I run the iridium plugs is cause they last longer and those back cylinders suck to change on the 5.4l and worse in the 6.8l. Even worse on the escape as you have to pull the intake off. Keep us posted on the coils. I paid nearly $200.00 for the msd coils. They have been in for years now, but a cheaper alternative would be welcome.
Sounds good to me, cause I know nothing about them lol. Oem is usually a good place to start.
I already put an insert in the back drivers side, that one wasn't too bad, the back passenger side, doesn't look too fun.

I may be playing with Stihl Hexa Chain soon... though still debating as I like Rapid Super. My son, who sells Stihl and Husky, texted me that he ordered 20" and 25" loops of 3/8, .050 and files for inventory. Any of you Scroungers try Hexa yet?
Some have tried it, and there have been threads devoted to it, it was the rage last yr when no-one could get it here in the states lol. It's a neat setup if you can't file square or don't want to spend money on a grinder.
What's funny is it's ground similarly to how guys used to file when they couldn't get round files, they would just hold a regular file at an angle and go for it. Basically it was like square with the "bevel" being an 1/8" below the working corner.
The X cut is square ground,
No it's not.
The c-85 3/8 is square from the factory, although they tell you to sharpen it with a round file.
Nope, got a stack of it downstairs. I studied those chains when they first came out to see what it would take with a grinder, it takes multiple passes on a standard round grinder.
I know, just had both saws in the barrow and thought it was a fitting picture. Need to go through the 394 and get it running again...been ages since I ran it.
Mine all seem to get along just fine, but you have to keep the ratio right, just like mixing oil ;).
This is the wheelbarrow right now, it will be getting changed up a bit this week.
Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 3.48.22 AM.png

I don't hunt deer so I don't know anything. You're saying people use a 22 rifle on deer? Maybe I misunderstood. Good ground hog gun though.
Many do, they say it's a great nighttime sniper tool that's commonly used out of season :cool:.
Also, I don't fell trees, but this cut seems all wrong to me. Saw it on CL.
View attachment 1059643
Friends don't let friends use a sloping backcut, these guys obviously have chosen their friends poorly :(.

I did my first mufler mod today on that 268 I bought for $50 a few weeks ago. The saw is lacking in the compression department. I ordered a new 272xp kit for it. I welded in a pipe, blasted it all and stove painted it. I should have my kit this week. I'm planning on deleting the base gasket also. Possibly porting the cylinder.
Be sure to check the squish when you assemble it, most 2 series saws are very tight right from the factory and do not have enough room to do a base gasket delete(I'm not sure if the larger saws you could get away with it). The 257 was the exception to that rule.
The 262 you could use a 254 gasket as the original was 2mm and the 254 was only 1mm, but the others many guys used "beer can" gaskets(made from cans), or had paper of various thicknesses for making them.
Looks like it's coming along nicely.

I don't hunt deer so I don't know anything. You're saying people use a 22 rifle on deer? Maybe I misunderstood. Good ground hog gun though.
These days it is illegal to hunt and take deer with any .22 caliber rimfire. Nor do I myself hunt or suggest anyone else hunt deer with any .22 caliber rimfire. However, a lot of people STIHL do. Over the past century people have been harvesting deer off their front and back porches with a .22 Especially during closed season or if they dont possess a tag during open season. Because of its low report, it makes a great deer poatching cartridge, and just about anyone who lives in the country, or out in the sticks. Has a .22 if they hunt anything at all. I hope this clarifies my previous post on this subject.👍

Grinding round is fir suckers and fools that know no better. When I think grinder?🤔 I think square tune and that's all I think. There is no other way to grind! 🤣🤣

Ah...yes. It all depends though doesn't it? I've cut wood over here that has caused a stihl RS chain to end up with a full set of teeth with the corner bent over backwards and carbide chain with cutters just broken off. I think you could go square in some wood here but others you'd be trying to repair the damage after every cut. Semi-chisel only for proper hardwoods.

Latest posts

Back