Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The world got busy and nosy, wasn't even that long ago as I'm not that old. Yeah that quarter was dear to me back then, could buy a lot of candy with it lol.
A quarter was my weekly allowance back in 1962. The reason why I went to work shining shoes when I was 11. A quarter only went so far even then.

I got a quarter for shining a pair of shoes.

It had been my job to shine my dad's shoes (a NYC businessman), which I did with just the shoes in my hands. So when Jimmy Henderson quit shining shoes on Saturdays at Art's barber shop, I took over. My first customer--the first time I ever shined shoes on someone's feet--was wearing white socks. They were white with a brown ring when I got done.

But that summer I quit the barber shop and biked across town with my shine kit to the RR station to shine shoes for NJ commuters each weekday morning. Might make a dollar a day. Then paid for my own breakfast on the way home--an english muffin drowned in butter and a cherry coke. Sitting on top of the world on that cafe stool, I was.

Today's fun. Timing chains on a 2019 Expedition with 112k miles.View attachment 1068264
Never had to replace timing chains in a newer vehicle . My Suzuki with twin overhead cams doesn’t even have a mileage interval recommendation on changing them out . Guess it’s when it breaks change deal

A quarter was my weekly allowance back in 1962. The reason why I went to work shining shoes when I was 11. A quarter only went so far even then.

I got a quarter for shining a pair of shoes.

It had been my job to shine my dad's shoes (a NYC businessman), which I did with just the shoes in my hands. So when Jimmy Henderson quit shining shoes on Saturdays at Art's barber shop, I took over. My first customer--the first time I ever shined shoes on someone's feet--was wearing white socks. They were white with a brown ring when I got done.

But that summer I quit the barber shop and biked across town with my shine kit to the RR station to shine shoes for NJ commuters each weekday morning. Might make a dollar a day. Then paid for my own breakfast on the way home--an english muffin drowned in butter and a cherry coke. Sitting on top of the world on that cafe stool, I was.
Never got an allowance . When I needed a buck or two my dad or mom gave it to me . But it wasn’t a set amount per week . And I did my chores regularly. I did however work every weekend and all summer at my uncles Car dealership / gas station he was an AMC/Jeep dealer and had Sinclair gas . Did that till I was 13 when we moved to Long Island and I worked for a local handyman after school and summers . And at night I worked at a Shell station in town . In 1972 I averaged 100-150 a week depending on tips

Never had to replace timing chains in a newer vehicle . My Suzuki with twin overhead cams doesn’t even have a mileage interval recommendation on changing them out . Guess it’s when it breaks change deal
They rattle on startup and it has cam timing codes. It also has a rattling intake cam phaser on the RH bank.

Never got an allowance . When I needed a buck or two my dad or mom gave it to me . But it wasn’t a set amount per week . And I did my chores regularly. I did however work every weekend and all summer at my uncles Car dealership / gas station he was an AMC/Jeep dealer and had Sinclair gas . Did that till I was 13 when we moved to Long Island and I worked for a local handyman after school and summers . And at night I worked at a Shell station in town . In 1972 I averaged 100-150 a week depending on tips
Damn! $100-150 in '72--that was real money. Cool.

And the early car experience, nice. Can see the background for your collectables now.

Thanks for everyone's replies concerning the saw. I guess I owe you all the opportunity to laugh at me making an idiot of myself. It was a SCAM. Got to the listed address and no one responded to door bell. Neighbor said no one lives there with the first name given. So I came home.
Luckily I didn't loose any $ with the exception of gas for the long drive to and from StL. The high point, it reminded me why I don't like StL. Traffic and people are nuts. Glad I don't work there anymore.

Nice warm day here today so I've got outdoor work to do.
Dang.

I was roped into a scam once to buy some take off wheels. Drove a half hour and the guy ghosted me at the service station we were supposed to meet at 1pm. I called him, messaged, and texted then waited 45 minutes and finally left with no response from him. Then at 9 at night he called me 17 times in a row to which I texted I wasn't interested. Then offered to sell to me for half. Nope.

I turned him into the admins for the FB buy/sell group we were on and he got booted.

Saying Good food and McDonalds or any other fast food is an oxymoron

I do go to McDonalds from time to time they have a good consistent cup of coffee. That's the only thing I buy there
I love the sausage egg mcmuffin but now they are up to $4.69 so they can keep them...

When they do the 2 for 6 deal on premium sandwiches or 10 piece mcnuggets, thats about the only deal left.

I remember White Castle hamburgers for 19 cents, sometime in the '60s. But one those hamburgers wouldn't satisfy the appetite of 3-yr-old. You were always buying multiples. I did like their chopped onion content however.
Those were still reasonable even a few years back. But the nearest one is almost 3 hours from me so I do not get there much.

Not a phone person. I finally broke down and replaced my flip phone with an I-phone in November, but I resist learning how to access internet or email with it, as I don't want to miss out on life while staring at a small screen. When I go to camp in June I don't want to be tempted to check on the internet and miss out on one second of the woods & fields around me. So I just downloaded recent pics from my camera.

Here's the almost-finished smoked salmon I prepared last month. This stuff is the world's best camp food--it's truly preserved (besides being delicious). I just had a slab for breakfast from a pkg that's been sitting open on the kitchen counter for a week or two. For some reason I just find cooking & food preparation are not my thing. I can cook bacon and eggs & fried toast at camp, but in the evening I usually just have smoked salmon & maybe potato chips or corn chips for supper. (My wife's old joke is that if she didn't cook I'd live on potato chips & ice cream.) I do 2--3 batches of salmon a year, 12--15 fillets (Pacific, wild-caught) each time. There's another layer, bunch of slabs beneath the main grill area in the photo.

View attachment 1068255View attachment 1068257
That is perfection my friend.

Those were still reasonable even a few years back. But the nearest one is almost 3 hours from me so I do not get there much.
Can remember Rotten Ron’s, aka McDonald’s back in high school they had sale specials .25 cents for cheese burgers, we use to buy 20 at a time , ended up throwing half of them out , or throw them up which ever came first Lol , the good old days 😆

And here's something. The first photo was Nov. 13, the muley buck and doe in my backyard.

Six days later, when my wife was driving me home from my knee replacement surgery, I saw a big tawny something in the gulch below my house. Couldn't get a good look, and she wouldn't turn and go back, but I think I saw the mountain lion that killed that buck. A neighbor mentioned that a 7-point buck was no longer coming around. Four days later, coming home from my post-op appointment with the surgeon I had my wife stop where I could look down into the gulch. It was all in shadow, but in the midst of that shadow was the lion's face. So well camouflaged that my wife couldn't see it. I told her--"From that patch of snow, look uphill about 6 foot." There it was, just sitting on its kill.

I went and got the skull and rack from the buck a month ago, got it wired up in a tree by the woodshed. (My wife said it was "icky" when I had it next to the drive.)
DSC03062.JPGDSC03105.JPG

Very respectable buck too. Must've been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My friend found a cougar kill up here this fall. It was all covered in leaves that the cat raked over to hide it. That's the first covered kill I've seen/heard of up here. Of course the MN DNR denied existence of kitties until game cams,

And one more, and I'll leave y'all alone for a bit.

My woodshed was filled to the roof, entirely out to the south face back in the fall. It takes a lot of wood to keep this place warm. We'll burn, less as the weeks go by, but right up till the end of May. There's a stepstool in the shed for late last year when my wife was bringing the wood to the house, as the stacks were well above her.DSC03108.JPG

Back