Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts exactly. That makes them look really stupid. Like John Kerry about using his private jet to go everywhere. Then he tells us to lower our usage of fuels and electricity.

This is getting too political. The 30 year average (that is what the wx person mentions every day), moves up by one year each year. I'm out.

I decided to move on from teh thorn clearance and work on a good down log for firewood. Yeah, sure: 3 hours later and I had cleared the one bunch of thorn blocking my access to the log.

The little electric saw works great for trimming all the thorny side twigs off a stem so the pile won't be all air. It is all too easy to stall it and it jamss with twigs a lot. It also threw the chain on the last cut and I haven't been able to get it off the bar/sprocket yet. Bench work time.

Interesting leaf and leaf pattern on those.
Are they oily.

Manzanita is pretty unique. It can sure lock up an area where you can’t get through, but it burns good and is good for privacy. It’s used for making canes and other stuff, I know a Forest Service guy that has access to big manzanita and works with it in his wood shop (cutting slabs). He says he makes more money doing that than the Forest Service pays him. I haven’t paid attention if it’s oily in a long time, off hand I’m thinking they are though. Crazily enough, manzanita is an endangered species. Maybe at one time there was a need for that, but not in decades. I’ve never seen it that way.

I removed the limiters a long time ago. My jet screws are slotted. The plastic plugs are in the rubber mounts that hold the main handle assembly to the saw. Under those caps are the torque screws that hold the rubber mounts to the main body of the saw. My tachometer just arrived. Time to go see if it works.
I just thought about it as I was reading your post, is yours a top handle, mine isn’t; maybe that's why I don't remember them, never worked on a 201t, just the 200t and 194t.
Which one did you get.
On the limited coils they will go chance you lean it enough to hit the limiter :dizzy:. I just figure out approximately how much a quarter turn in gives the saw and then start just below where the tach freaks out and bump it accordingly. You still should tune it in the wood to get it set best.

I removed the limiters a long time ago. My jet screws are slotted. The plastic plugs are in the rubber mounts that hold the main handle assembly to the saw. Under those caps are the torque screws that hold the rubber mounts to the main body of the saw. My tachometer just arrived. Time to go see if it works.
Here is the saw with the original carb back on it without doing anything to it other than cleaning it out. It was the pulse hose that was the problem. Next time I have a crappy idleing Stihl saw I will spray it down to see what happens. As for my cheap tachometer, it sucks. It works great at an idle and up until about 6000 -7000 rpm's. Sometimes it will go up to 10k 11k before it just drops back to 5600 - 5700. Even with the wire around the plug wire it does the same thing. I can't get to set the high jet with the tachometer. Until I get a decent one it is back to using my bad hearing to set the high end. I tried the tachometer on my 440, 268/272zp conversion and my newly acquired 394XP. It works the same way as it did on the Stihl saw.

Attachments

• 20230328_160956.mp4
    23.5 MB
Here is the saw with the original carb back on it without doing anything to it other than cleaning it out. It was the pulse hose that was the problem. Next time I have a crappy idleing Stihl saw I will spray it down to see what happens. As for my cheap tachometer, it sucks. It works great at an idle and up until about 6000 -7000 rpm's. Sometimes it will go up to 10k 11k before it just drops back to 5600 - 5700. Even with the wire around the plug wire it does the same thing. I can't get to set the high jet with the tachometer. Until I get a decent one it is back to using my bad hearing to set the high end. I tried the tachometer on my 440, 268/272zp conversion and my newly acquired 394XP. It works the same way as it did on the Stihl saw.
Sounds great.
It's a real ground pounder, I can see the water shaking :chainsaw:.
I thought you said ms201, looked back and you said 210, I guess I did mess up this month 🤣.
Just touched up the chain on my 261, heading out to cut a few limbs. I was gonna change it out real quick, then I saw the chain on it and changed my mind.
Bigger file with less aggressive hook for limbing.
20230328_183210.jpg

Cut a few trees yesterday afternoon and today. We probably have another 40 to go.
Farmer needs some pasture acreage so ...

Almost all Cottonwood and a few Willows. Biggest is about 3' diameter but most are poles under 20".
Local firewood guy is happy; farmer is happy. I get to play with saws :D
20230328_121514.jpg20230328_133853.jpg20230328_133911.jpg20230328_133921.jpg

Are they going to leave what remains? So the cows will have a tree here and there?
This is river bottom so not much dirt there to work with. The plan is to bring in a lot of clean fill dirt and till it all together. The guy with the mulcher will be back to clean up what’s left after the stumps get pushed out with the neighbor’s D8. I think he just wants to play with his bulldozer as he keeps asking when he should start, lol

he has kept the better condition trees for shade. You can see some pink tags in the pics.

Well just got a shipping confirmation email that the steel for my shop is being shipped! Hope to have it by the end of the week. Now I just need to go visit the township and beg for permission, or decide to seek forgiveness later.... jury is still out about needing to be rezoned.

Sacrilege! A Stihl bar with a Husqvarna chain on it. :eek::crazy2::crazy2:
You know how I roll :laugh: .
What about a stihl bar on a dolmar, and with a Carlton chain :crazy2:.

Flush cut some of the stumps out back today.
That's a 36 on the dolly, pulls it like a champ.
The bigger red oak, just reached through. Looked like 75yrs old.
20230328_175450.jpg
Double oak.
20230328_174841.jpg
The smaller cherry.
20230328_174451.jpg
Had a nice fire tonight too. Heard the great horned owls out there. It's normal to hear them here, but we haven't been out much in the evenings yet. Pretty sure I heard at least 3.
Hard to tell, the flames were about 12-15' tall for quite a while, I just kept feeding it :blob2:.
20230328_202015.jpg

Latest posts

Back