Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer 100 year averages.
That’s the one thing aggravates me about the climate change extremists… I’m not saying things aren’t changing, but when they all use the same chart that starts the year after a long term cold spell ended up here… Not a good look.

All the China carbs I’ve tried have been absolute crap.
ok, so only 3… :p. Maybe the 4th will be good?
not gonna find out…
I don’t have a lot of experience but the few that I’ve used have all worked fine.

Full disclosure, I would never use one of these on a High Dollar saw but to get somebody’s homeowner saw back into the fleet they work great

The China carbs are a mixed bag. Most of the 660 carbs have worked as well or better than OEM, and I've replaced OEM carbs with them.

The 440s have been a real crap shoot, with many of them not working at all and many providing sub par performance.

Part of the problem is the same basic carb will work on a 029, 440 or 460, but to get the full potential of the 460 (or built 440) you need a 460 carb, not a 029 carb that is sold as a 460 carb (the 460 has a larger venture).

Went to the log yard and still nothing new. Some pine and maple. Hope this dry spell ends soon. I've got enough for myself for 2-3 years. But it would be nice to be able to rotate stock and sell a few loads this Fall. No real firewood business, just selling off my older overstock before it becomes too old to burn.

On carbs, I have only limited experience. 50% on china carbs on my MS170. Luckily the second one worked.

That’s the one thing aggravates me about the climate change extremists… I’m not saying things aren’t changing, but when they all use the same chart that starts the year after a long term cold spell ended up here… Not a good look.
My thoughts exactly. That makes them look really stupid. Like John Kerry about using his private jet to go everywhere. Then he tells us to lower our usage of fuels and electricity.

What would these same people be saying if the climate started going the other way. Which one of them is going to tell China to slow down their pollution?
Maybe Greta should go over there and preach to them. See how that goes.

What is the Chinese version of a gulag? LOL

I pushed through a lot of it making the water tank road.
View attachment 1069943

View attachment 1069944

View attachment 1069945

View attachment 1069946

I’ll pull some out too. You don’t want manzanita stumps where you might drive a car or pickup, it’ll destroy the tires. Ask me how I know.
View attachment 1069947

I did a lot of thinning here, I don’t want it so thick that you can’t walk through.
View attachment 1069948

When the loader was down for the engine swap, we hauled it to the burn pile with the trailer. Not my preferred method.
View attachment 1069949

You can see some manzanita in the burn pile, we have to wait a long time to get near enough to push stuff in to where the fire is. Too hot, even with a long pusher stick.
View attachment 1069950
Interesting leaf and leaf pattern on those.
Are they oily.
Seems like that chairs a bit close, maybe its just me :blob2::lol:
Hadn’t heard that, it reminds me of SanFrancisco. People from there call it The City.
I'd just call it nasty :baba:.
What don‘t you believe? I won’t do that with my loader, I don’t want it to get crushed. Maybe not likely, but stranger things have happened.
Yet everyday guys push them over with a little tiny wedge lol.

To whomever it may apply;
If you can't read a tree, you shouldn't be felling one ;).
I prefer 100 year averages.
Me too, I'd like to see them for the last 6000 yrs, then we can talk :).
Careful doing that kind of crap when the tree leans heavily towards the tractor. I've seen too many videos of things going wrong real quickly. That was one of the reasons why I bought a logging winch. My tractor is way too valuable to be playing games with it. Not to mention my life.
I've got a logging winch, just wasn't any reason to use it on this one. I'll have it attached to the next one with a little pre-tension on the 5/8 rope(read enough stretch to get it to the fall I want), but many times that or a little push isn't even needed.
This one is for you Stihl guys. I have a MS210C that won't idle for ****. I took the original carb apart and soaked it for a week in carb cleaner. Put it back together and the saw just doesn't idle right no matter what I do to it. It revs up great and WOT is fine. When idleing it the revs go up and down slightly and it makes the chain spin. The motor is running like it is in a loping mode. If I lower the rpm's it stalls. I picked up a China carb and have the same issue with that carb. Turning the H and L screws does affect the saw running with either carb installed. Could it be an air leak? If I bring the rpm's up off idle the saw runs great but the chain is also spinning.
So it's the early version(standard carb), those were gutless out of the box(compared to the mtronic versions) as the timing was retarded too much when they first came out. They sold an updated coil/flywheel kit or you can just advance the timing. A muffler mod and then removing the carb limiters helps wake all 201s up a lot. Removing the limiters is easy when you have the whole carb out already.
If you want to do any of those mods I'm sure I have some pics, links, and can shoot you my number if needed.
Many smaller carbs won't come clean just soaking them, an ultrasonic cleaner is needed or at least very helpful.
Got the makita up and running today. Cut a big mesquite up. No problem pulling the 28" bar.
Awesome. What was the problem. They can flood pretty easy if you miss the initial pop. That's some cool looking wood, hard looking too.
The 7900/10 pulls a 32 nicely in moderately hard wood, that mesquite you might need the rakers a little higher to pull a 32 though.
I'll be breaking out my ported 7900 soon(maybe today) after a sharpening session on a few saws, it's currently wearing a 36" setup. It does a nice job for a 79cc saw:chainsaw:.

I've got a logging winch, just wasn't any reason to use it on this one. I'll have it attached to the next one with a little pre-tension on the 5/8 rope(read enough stretch to get it to the fall I want), but many times that or a little push isn't even needed.

So it's the early version(standard carb), those were gutless out of the box(compared to the mtronic versions) as the timing was retarded too much when they first came out. They sold an updated coil/flywheel kit or you can just advance the timing. A muffler mod and then removing the carb limiters helps wake all 201s up a lot. Removing the limiters is easy when you have the whole carb out already.
If you want to do any of those mods I'm sure I have some pics, links, and can shoot you my number if needed.
Many smaller carbs won't come clean just soaking them, an ultrasonic cleaner is needed or at least very helpful.:chainsaw:.
Yup gutless wonder 2hp saw. I did replace the fuel line and the one to the tank vent. I didn't see the pulse line. I did spray carb cleaner down behind the carb. It did change the way the saw ran. I tore it all apart. That was fun for my first Stihl teardown. Pop the plastic plugs, unscrew the screws and apart she came. The carb boot was fine. The pulse line was cracked and broke when I pulled it off. Hopefully the picture is clear enough to see the very small area that wasn't broken. I replaced that hose and put the saw back together. After lunch I will give it a whirl to see what happens. The original Stihl carb was made in China.

Attachments

• 20230328_132130.jpg
    20230328_132130.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230328_131802.jpg
    20230328_131802.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 0
Yup gutless wonder 2hp saw. I did replace the fuel line and the one to the tank vent. I didn't see the pulse line. I did spray carb cleaner down behind the carb. It did change the way the saw ran. I tore it all apart. That was fun for my first Stihl teardown. Pop the plastic plugs, unscrew the screws and apart she came. The carb boot was fine. The pulse line was cracked and broke when I pulled it off. Hopefully the picture is clear enough to see the very small area that wasn't broken. I replaced that hose and put the saw back together. After lunch I will give it a whirl to see what happens. The original Stihl carb was made in China.
I don't remember those plastic plugs, where are those located.
That's awesome, hopefully that was it. After hearing all this it sounds like it was :).
Did you happen to grind off the limiters on the carb? I pull the whole thing and then replace them with the "covers" that have the limiter, otherwise you have to use a small allen head iirc. Once the limiters are removed you can mod the muffler. A timing advance is also a nice wake up for them.
I need to order a chain for my rear handle 201 and 200, they are filed way back :oops: . But, they still cut and all the cutters are still on the chain, so I must be doing something right, even though I thought I was wrong once this month 🤣.

All the China carbs I’ve tried have been absolute crap.
ok, so only 3… :p. Maybe the 4th will be good?
not gonna find out…
I've used a lot of them over the years, kept a lot of equipment from getting junked and me from getting too much time in give the carb an actual rebuild. Sure some don't work out, but that's been far and few. I do my best to keep the oe carb on my stuff, but in reality most of them have been made in China for years now too, so it doesn't really matter much at this point.
Greenhouse lights...why? Cuz they look cool. 😁View attachment 1070153
Don't let my wife see that! There's a 10x20 greenhouse kit she ordered waiting on the porch for when I get home tonight. She's dead set on gardening year round now. This is a cheap plastic and fiberglass hoop thing to see if she keeps at it.
I have had no time to chat ut up with you Gents or even read the last however many page's since my last post. I hope all is well Guys. I catch up and BS as soon As I can! In the mean time, here are some recent photos. 👍
View attachment 1070159

Beach score. Yellow Cedar root sections and creosote piles.
View attachment 1070157View attachment 1070155

Today's OVERLOAD
View attachment 1070160View attachment 1070161
View attachment 1070162
View attachment 1070163
View attachment 1070164

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware.
Get some air bags and or a load level hitch when you get a chance. First it will leverage some weight back on your front end and second it will ride better and keep the trailer from swinging around with that much tongue weight on it. I had one incident with my deckover coming up the interstate, don't know what happened exactally, I was going about 55, truck went around to pass me, was loaded a little heavier then I should have been, but still within the truck and trailers capabilities. Anyway, dam trailer started swaying bad. Couldn't drive out of it, ended up putting the trailer into the center divider to get it to stop. Wife was freaking out cause I had one hand on the wheel one on the brake controller and not both on the wheel. She didn't get it, kids thought it was great. Took it real slow after that. Got home ordered an Anderson sway/ load level hitch. Wasn't till inspection time a few moths later thaymt we found the wire going to the rear axle brakes was corroded real bad and not letting power get to the brakes. I knew I should have been able to drive out of it, have many times before. Anyway, moral of the story is I had too much tongue weight. Weight hitch helps with that. The Anderson hitch I got doesn't need to be removed when making sharp turns or backing up.

I don't remember those plastic plugs, where are those located.
That's awesome, hopefully that was it. After hearing all this it sounds like it was :).
Did you happen to grind off the limiters on the carb? I pull the whole thing and then replace them with the "covers" that have the limiter, otherwise you have to use a small allen head iirc. Once the limiters are removed you can mod the muffler. A timing advance is also a nice wake up for them.
I need to order a chain for my rear handle 201 and 200, they are filed way back :oops: . But, they still cut and all the cutters are still on the chain, so I must be doing something right, even though I thought I was wrong once this month 🤣.
I removed the limiters a long time ago. My jet screws are slotted. The plastic plugs are in the rubber mounts that hold the main handle assembly to the saw. Under those caps are the torque screws that hold the rubber mounts to the main body of the saw. My tachometer just arrived. Time to go see if it works.

Latest posts

Back