Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m seeing a lot of weird weather lately. Following the snow and rain in California due to family there. Mississippi. Little Rock, AR today. Heading towards Memphis now.

I’ll accept the blizzard warning tonight in Minnesota, because it’s Minnesota. I have been following weather disasters for 20+ years. But this stuff is unusual. And I’m just counting the stuff happening here in the US.

Label it what you will.

Philbert
You're a conspiracy theorist 🤣.

So now we can talk about cloud seeding, chemtrails, and haarp, just to get started anyway.

I’m seeing a lot of weird weather lately. Following the snow and rain in California due to family there. Mississippi. Little Rock, AR today. Heading towards Memphis now.

I’ll accept the blizzard warning tonight in Minnesota, because it’s Minnesota. I have been following weather disasters for 20+ years. But this stuff is unusual. And I’m just counting the stuff happening here in the US.

Label it what you will.

Philbert
Sounds biblical to me, doubtful it has anything to do with what man is doing.

G'day fellers,

Had an itch I had to scratch today so I went out scrounging. I drove up to one of the local designated scrounging areas. There aren't many and they're not all that convenient to get to, this one required a 40 min drive, half of which was a rough dirt road up the side of a mountain. Anyway, thought I may as well have a look. Found this guy.

View attachment 1070935

You can see the rot in the fat end and I didn't have high hopes but figured that it would at least be dry so I could burn it this year. Turned out to be wrong on both counts, it was very soon solid but pretty green inside. Also, I disturbed a bull ant nest so I picked up my feet pretty quick and moved a few rounds worth down the log. I cut 11 rounds all nice and solid.

View attachment 1070936

Or to put it another way

View attachment 1070938

It is an alpine ash, which is one of the less dense eucalypt species. Stihl better than softwood though. The best part about it is the splitting. 3 hits with the fiskars.

View attachment 1070939

TBC...
Thats good scrounge,,,,, close to the truck even.. Bet you'll go back there.

Got a lot done today. Only a few left to drop.
Had one challenging one...thread it between a chicken coop and a water pump...with fairly heavy lean over the coop.
Directional cut and 4 wedges on the lean side...drive it!

Attachments

• 20230331_181141.jpg
    20230331_181141.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230331_182445.jpg
    20230331_182445.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
That's mostly good news. 👍
Glad they are being reasonable.....

Sorry you've got a reject neighbor....that really sux.....
It was quite a relief to be honest. He was very cool about the whole thing. The lady I talked to previously made it seem like an act of God was needed to put something up.
Richard, yeah he's a real treat. Self proclaimed king of raven lane..... at least in his head. I'm sure he'll be calling the township as soon as he figures out whay I'm doing.

Loaded up with dead red oak for a buddy of mine. I loaded it yesterday as it’s going to rain tonight and the morning, He’s coming over tomorrow for a cookout. We will just go tailgate to tailgate, instead of tearing up the yard. Something tells me his 8’ bed f250 won’t look this full.View attachment 1071113
Time for a rear suspension upgrade. :D

I decked up the two loads of logs today. I definitely see a concrete pad in my future! 🤣
View attachment 1070665
Yup concrete ftw!

Log yards without it are 👎 especially on the west coast....

It's looking really good buddy.... you'll be a real "logger" yet.....;)

Man, I'd like to trade you some oak and hickory for a couple loads of that spruce...

I know that guy, worked for him last year
View attachment 1071219Don’t think I ever saw him when he wasn’t overloaded, lol. He’s a hard worker.
LOL! That’s awesome. Mark had one of his kids out today “helping” 🤪, a young one. He and his wife run a firewood yard in Middleton. I called them a couple weeks back wondering if they could use a lot of Cottonwood…free… they came out and looked at what we had and the rest is history.
the owner here is so impressed with him. He has helped tremendously in clearing this section. the stuff that’s too large he has been moving to a landing for us.

LOL! That’s awesome. Mark had one of his kids out today “helping” 🤪, a young one. He and his wife run a firewood yard in Middleton. I called them a couple weeks back wondering if they could use a lot of Cottonwood…free… they came out and looked at what we had and the rest is history.
the owner here is so impressed with him. He has helped tremendously in clearing this section. the stuff that’s too large he has been moving to a landing for us.
He’s a good guy, very good equipment operator. Yeah his wife did a lot of the firewood deliveries, could probably out work a lot of guys, even when she was 8 months pregnant.

Back