Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, we empty our ash at least a few times a yr :innocent: .
What woodburner is that.
Ha! There's a reason it's called ash. I have to empty the ash pan every 2 weeks with ash and every 3-4 weeks with maple. Great wood otherwise.

It's a Big Jack from the now defunct Alpha American Company in MN. They refused to innovate to meet the EPA regulations they knew were coming. I think they folded in 2020. Thankfully all the parts are pretty standard so short of a cracked firebox I should be able to keep it going.

I wasn't at all happy with my recently built splitting table, nor the location of the jack. After adding the 4 way wedge, the jack was in the way. So I extended the tongue of the splitter, moved the jack, and built a new removable table. I've yet to use this new configuration, but I think I'll be pretty happy with this arrangement. Part of me wants to build a whole new splitter, incorporating what I've learned from building this one, but hopefully I can squash that notion lol.

IMG_20230401_173440719.jpgIMG_20230401_193507230.jpg

Also got a cool birthday present. My old man was over here a couple weeks ago, using my lathe and mill, and was extremely disappointed by my selection of screwdrivers...so he got me a whole kit of different drivers. Now I just need to make room in my tool chest.
IMG_20230401_194304684_HDR.jpg

I've been planning log splitter v2 for years now.... when push comes to shove I just keep using the first one I built. May change after I get the shop up and don't have to do all my projects out in the weather.
Edit, only thing I'd want to do to yours is add a log lift and get it up off the ground. The first splitter I borrowed was low like that. Killed my back and knees.

I've been planning log splitter v2 for years now.... when push comes to shove I just keep using the first one I built. May change after I get the shop up and don't have to do all my projects out in the weather.
Edit, only thing I'd want to do to yours is add a log lift and get it up off the ground. The first splitter I borrowed was low like that. Killed my back and knees.

Having a shop changes everything. I used to procrastinate and never got anything done. Once I bought my current place and got my work space dialed into how I want it, I probably spend more time out there than I do in the house...I'm busy making work for myself.

There's some things I'd do differently if I made another one. For one, I'd probably make the next one a little more compact...this one has a rather large footprint, but it's not entirely a bad thing. It's very stable and doesn't feel all wobbly like some of the consumer-grade splitters do. I'd incorporate the oil tank into the engine cradle and axle, rather than being separate like this one. I'd also make the splitting wedge modular, meaning that it would just be a single blade, but I could slide a 4 or 6 way wedge over that one.

This one works pretty well, but I'm definitely upgrading the ram in the very near future...the ram is undersized compared to the pump and motor. I've also got a different oil tank for it.

Top down burn, tried it, thumbs up, thanks.
Yup, the dog ate something nasty coming up out of the snow, got me up at 3:30 to let him out, the belly is still growling even after he came in.
Waiting for the dawg to poo, did the top down burn this morning. Have been scrounging around next years wood pile to find tidbits for the stove. Hard times, keeping the tote near the door tarped and with enough burnables to make it through these early spring flurries, rains, fog thaws and freezes. Pray for the ones you love and the ones you don't, evil is a foot. Maybe the chickens are coming home to roost.

Top down burn, tried it, thumbs up, thanks.
Yup, the dog ate something nasty coming up out of the snow, got me up at 3:30 to let him out, the belly is still growling even after he came in.
Waiting for the dawg to poo, did the top down burn this morning. Have been scrounging around next years wood pile to find tidbits for the stove. Hard times, keeping the tote near the door tarped and with enough burnables to make it through these early spring flurries, rains, fog thaws and freezes. Pray for the ones you love and the ones you don't, evil is a foot. Maybe the chickens are coming home to roost.
Yes, pray hard and then pray again. I am impressed by our founding fathers. During what looked like a huge impossible time writing the constitution Ben Franklin called for prayer and then led a 4 hour prayer. After that the delegates came together and were able to finish. I have a hard time praying even a few minutes without my mind going off track.

Well, stopped off with the township today. Don't know if they fired the lady I was dealing with before or what, but the zoning guy was there and I got to talk with him about the shop. So he basically said I didn't need a permit because it's under 1000 sqft and could be un bolted from the foundation so they don't technically view it as a permanent structure. I asked what about **** (his name is richard) neighbors? He kinda laughed and asked where I lived, told him and said yeah we know your neighbor,very well. He helped me fill out the paperwork for a permit and said he'd give me a call next week to swing by after it's approved and pick up the display sheet and associated paperwork. Said it wouldn't be very expensive and it coveres me from getting harrased too much.
After that was done he asked me if I was ready to make a formal complaint about my neighbor? Said no, not really, why? He said they have had a lot of complaints, but none from someone with a joining property so they couldn't really do anything since he has a fence up and they can't see anything from the road. Told him I'd have to think about it. Honestly he does no property maintenance am lives in a literal junk yard. But don't know if I want to open that can of worms.
I'd be all over him. He harrasses people so that they won't complain about his sh-thole property.

It was quite a relief to be honest. He was very cool about the whole thing. The lady I talked to previously made it seem like an act of God was needed to put something up.
Richard, yeah he's a real treat. Self proclaimed king of raven lane..... at least in his head. I'm sure he'll be calling the township as soon as he figures out whay I'm doing.
Put up a sign for him to let him know what you are doing.

Back