Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking pork lee192233. We put a pork butt in a crock yesterday morning. Had pulled pork sandwiches last night. Was ok but lacked that flavor. I have a Green Mtn grill (Daniel Boone). Should have smoked like you.
We do them in the crock pot sometimes. I sear it in the propane BBQ first in the morning, then I put it to the side of the grill with some wet wood chips wrapped in a loop of foil, ends open. I leave it like that while I make my lunch and feed the dogs, have coffee etc ... Then dump it in the crock pot. Convenience of the crock pot and a little BBQ smoke flavor

Good looking pork lee192233. We put a pork butt in a crock yesterday morning. Had pulled pork sandwiches last night. Was ok but lacked that flavor. I have a Green Mtn grill (Daniel Boone). Should have smoked like you.
We do them in the crockpot also. It's good but you just can't beat the bark on a good smoked pork butt. It adds a depth of flavor that can't be duplicated.

I wasn't at all happy with my recently built splitting table, nor the location of the jack. After adding the 4 way wedge, the jack was in the way. So I extended the tongue of the splitter, moved the jack, and built a new removable table. I've yet to use this new configuration, but I think I'll be pretty happy with this arrangement. Part of me wants to build a whole new splitter, incorporating what I've learned from building this one, but hopefully I can squash that notion lol.

View attachment 1071497View attachment 1071499

Also got a cool birthday present. My old man was over here a couple weeks ago, using my lathe and mill, and was extremely disappointed by my selection of screwdrivers...so he got me a whole kit of different drivers. Now I just need to make room in my tool
Longer control lever would help to save your back a bit.

Woke up to a hit and run Saturday morning. I would love to see the damage done to the 2015 - 2021 dark gray Subaru WRX after he hit my 7x7 granite post. I have the mirror in pieces. That was how I determined the make and model of the car. It had one of those loud POS mufflers on it. We heard a loud bang at 11:20pm but nobody stopped. The right front wheel hit the stone wall behind the granite post shifting it a few inches. I'm on the hunt for the POS and posted the car and damage all over Facebook in the area. Maybe somebody will see it. My guess is the car won't be found. Local PD was notified. That is my mailbox beyond my tractor on the far left.

Attachments

• 20230401_074603.jpg
    20230401_074603.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Woke up to a hit and run Saturday morning. I would love to see the damage done to the 2015 - 2021 dark gray Subaru WRX after he hit my 7x7 granite post. I have the mirror in pieces. That was how I determined the make and model of the car. It had one of those loud POS mufflers on it. We heard a loud bang at 11:20pm but nobody stopped. The right front wheel hit the stone wall behind the granite post shifting it a few inches. I'm on the hunt for the POS and posted the car and damage all over Facebook in the area. Maybe somebody will see it. My guess is the car won't be found. Local PD was notified. That is my mailbox beyond my tractor on the far left.
Probably drunk, high or both.

My daughter was driving home at night last year after helping me with the tax work. A driver coming the opposite direction passed a truck and almost hit her head on. She veered to the right and the whole side of her car was side swiped.

The fender liner and mirror of the jeep were on the road at the scene and IDed the year and model, but police said they were unlikely to find it.

2 months later, with the parts still in her car, my daughter spots the jeep in a parking lot (parts still missing). She calls the police, but they tell her they can do nothing! They tell her the missing parts don't prove it is the same vehicle!

Unreal how unresponsive they were to a situation that could have resulted in death or serious injury. Our system is broken - badly!

View attachment 1071532Kinda surprised me how much that load did fill my buddies bed up. I bet that rode like a dream!
The 176" wheelbase of those long bed crew cabs take some time during which to acclimate one's self to the length. As evidenced by being about 90° to the driveway that must be a new truck to the driver. 😉

My daughter was driving home at night last year after helping me with the tax work. A driver coming the opposite direction passed a truck and almost hit her head on. She veered to the right and the whole side of her car was side swiped.

The fender liner and mirror of the jeep were on the road at the scene and IDed the year and model, but police said they were unlikely to find it.

2 months later, with the parts still in her car, my daughter spots the jeep in a parking lot (parts still missing). She calls the police, but they tell her they can do nothing! They tell her the missing parts don't prove it is the same vehicle!

Unreal how unresponsive they were to a situation that could have resulted in death or serious injury. Our system is broken - badly!

Not really related, other than being an example of how priorities are often wrong, I read in the news about a parking attendant getting charged with attempted murder in NYC. I guess he got shot in the stomach, but managed to wrestle the gun away and return fire on the suspect...but now he's being charged...WTF? I thought it was an April fools story at first.

Longer control lever would help to save your back a bit.
I was already looking at making a new arm...I might make it look like one of those crazy shifters you see on hot rods. Top it off with an 8 ball for the knob. On the other hand, I was thinking about getting a new valve so I could make a log lift...this splitter is a constant work in progress, maybe in 10 years I'll finally get it dialed in perfectly. :laugh:

Not really related, other than being an example of how priorities are often wrong, I read in the news about a parking attendant getting charged with attempted murder in NYC. I guess he got shot in the stomach, but managed to wrestle the gun away and return fire on the suspect...but now he's being charged...WTF? I thought it was an April fools story at first.
Thank you Gov. Hochul for creating an atmosphere of stupidity in government...

https://nypost.com/2023/04/01/nyc-garage-worker-charged-with-attempted-murder-for-shooting-thief/

Sorry for your loss.
Having nice things is a pleasure but it is hard to take things for granite.
My mail box is on an industrial plastic barrel, cinder block inside. The last to run it over was a fire truck, before that an oil truck, a drunk neighbor got his Honda stuck on it. Used to have a fancy post chain suspended mailbox well back from the road. It eventually looked like a Frankenstein statue, the town plow guys had to fix it every time it was hit. I live on a dirt, part year road, out in the woods.
It is so gratifying to have bad drivers stuck on that barrel, yes the firetruck, oil truck and the drunk neighbor could not drive away, tough stuff.

Well, stopped off with the township today. Don't know if they fired the lady I was dealing with before or what, but the zoning guy was there and I got to talk with him about the shop. So he basically said I didn't need a permit because it's under 1000 sqft and could be un bolted from the foundation so they don't technically view it as a permanent structure. I asked what about **** (his name is richard) neighbors? He kinda laughed and asked where I lived, told him and said yeah we know your neighbor,very well. He helped me fill out the paperwork for a permit and said he'd give me a call next week to swing by after it's approved and pick up the display sheet and associated paperwork. Said it wouldn't be very expensive and it coveres me from getting harrased too much.
After that was done he asked me if I was ready to make a formal complaint about my neighbor? Said no, not really, why? He said they have had a lot of complaints, but none from someone with a joining property so they couldn't really do anything since he has a fence up and they can't see anything from the road. Told him I'd have to think about it. Honestly he does no property maintenance am lives in a literal junk yard. But don't know if I want to open that can of worms.
Next door is an essentially abandoned house. Area was originally a resort community mostly for folks from Pittsburgh. I've been here almost 42 years, was occupied for less than a year early on. The house has passed from parents to 4 children, 3 wanted out so now belongs to one who lives in Chicago. She shows up for a few hours every 2-3 years.
House is falling apart. Raccoons and squirrels living in it. Has no septic system (unless its in my yard). gray water would dump on ground 30 feet from my house. As far as I can tell she's waiting for one of the dead trees to fall on it so she can build a new "mansion". Keep telling her she has no septic or gray water system, she doesn't want to hear it.
If I could find someone in township or county government to condemn it I'd be all over it!

3/10ths of an inch of snow here in Philadelphia this winter…..crazy.
We've had a bit more in the hills of Fayette county (maybe 15" all season). Never had more than about 2" at a time. Certainly not what I'm used to. The least I've seen in 42 years here.

My Dodge is the perfect length/configuration for what I do...IIRC, my quad cab long bed has a 160" WB. A long bed is a must-have for me and the little quad cab is just big enough to wedge a couple of adults in the back seat.

IDK about the newer ones, but I do remember the older Fords having wide turning radii. Despite having the longer wheelbase, my Dodge turns circles around my fathers OBS ext cab long bed f250. Same story on the 7.3 super duty that I used to occasionally drive.

Latest posts

Back