Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a shop changes everything. I used to procrastinate and never got anything done. Once I bought my current place and got my work space dialed into how I want it, I probably spend more time out there than I do in the house...I'm busy making work for myself.

There's some things I'd do differently if I made another one. For one, I'd probably make the next one a little more compact...this one has a rather large footprint, but it's not entirely a bad thing. It's very stable and doesn't feel all wobbly like some of the consumer-grade splitters do. I'd incorporate the oil tank into the engine cradle and axle, rather than being separate like this one. I'd also make the splitting wedge modular, meaning that it would just be a single blade, but I could slide a 4 or 6 way wedge over that one.

This one works pretty well, but I'm definitely upgrading the ram in the very near future...the ram is undersized compared to the pump and motor. I've also got a different oil tank for it.
I need to do this. I have for use of my neighbor’s shop which is a quarter-mile away but it’s not something you can just go out and putter around for a few minutes. Plus I need to clean all my stuff out every time he comes up for the weekend.

My daughter was driving home at night last year after helping me with the tax work. A driver coming the opposite direction passed a truck and almost hit her head on. She veered to the right and the whole side of her car was side swiped.

The fender liner and mirror of the jeep were on the road at the scene and IDed the year and model, but police said they were unlikely to find it.

2 months later, with the parts still in her car, my daughter spots the jeep in a parking lot (parts still missing). She calls the police, but they tell her they can do nothing! They tell her the missing parts don't prove it is the same vehicle!

Unreal how unresponsive they were to a situation that could have resulted in death or serious injury. Our system is broken - badly!
I remember you telling the story in the past. Such BS! Lazy police there.

I do a lot of slow cooked meat in the cast-iron Dutch ovens. My favorite one is enamel coated so I can cook anything and do not have to worry about it dissolving traditional seasoning if I don’t clean it right away.

A few favorites… Corned beef cooked in half beer and half beef stock… chicken cacciatore where you sear meat first and then cover in marinara and cook till tender… beef, roast with vegetables cooked in beef broth… Pork roast cooked in any sort of liquid, I am having great results with the citrus flavored malt beverages, such as truly or white claw….. chicken breasts cooked in liquid or throw in a jar of salsa as well, and then shred the whole thing up.

I love smoked meat and will agree with you guys that smoked pork butt is the king of slow cooked meats. I have a smoker, but have not used it yet.

The only real bad apples up here as far as neighbors, are usually the city people that moved up during the covid(I call them covidiots) who like to involve themselves in everyone's business. These are private roads and the local kids will ride around on their dirtbikes/atvs...it's not illegal, they aren't hurting anyone, and it's been going on for years(I did the same when I was their age.) However, the city transplants are the fun police and are being real richard-heads about it...one guy even tried to hit a kid on a motorcycle. I've talked to them and they're good kids...besides, I think it's cool that there are still kids that go out, do stuff, hang out with their friends, etc instead of just being plugged into a phone/playing video games all day.

Luckily, I get along with my immediate neighbors...even the weirdos across the road from me. It's the grandparents, both adult children, and all the grand kids living there under one roof. I'm pretty sure one of the adult children likes to dabble in the meth...piss revving your Harley late at night and very frequent 10 minute trips on said Harley, are good indicators of that. :laugh: One of the women there is a crazy horse-lady...she thinks they have their very own "Ponderosa" and has a few horses in a smallish corral. I've never seen anyone ride those horses, but I try not to involve myself in their business. My only complaint about that is I have to deal with their flies during the summer.

My favorite model, any history on that?
It's missing the starter and air filter cover, maybe some other stuff I'm not remembering atm.
I bought it off eBay cheap, thought maybe I'd fix it.....
I've got a pretty decent complete L65 as well, it's got a gooey melted fuel line.

Thinking about selling em both, cause I've got too many projects and no time...

Regarding neighbors… Knock on wood. I’m in a pretty good spot at my house, but my cabin does have a real jack wagon next-door.

I live on the lake, so it’s a combination of people who have kept the property within the same family for years (like me, dad bought this place 50 years ago in June, I bought it from my mom 10 years ago in December), old money, and new money. My closest neighbor is a family who shares a cabin… Most of the people from there are pretty cool, but the one brother has a dog that seems very psycho. Luckily, he keeps it kenneled up when he’s here but it does not sound happy. People next to him rent to a young couple in the summer and it’s empty all winter. The people next to them are great, people next to them are a little bit out there, but will help you if you need them. The only guy that’s a little strange is behind me…. Not a bad guy, but you’ll never get more than a superficial conversation out of him and he is the only one who is unhelpful in our road maintenance….. it’s interesting because the people around here supported him and his family when they grew their business on the other side of him but he certainly has no interest in reciprocating to help anybody else out. But I guess they could be a lot worse as they just kind of mind their own business. Around here we kind of know each other and I didn’t even know what his wife looked like for the first 13 years they lived here lol.

Cabin is a different story, but luckily the two brothers left are pretty old now….. back in the day for many years when we rolled into our yard, we didn’t know if we would have a cabin left or not… Luckily, the brother who was the biggest ringleader (and has since moved away) was kind of a coward so he wouldn’t do anything more than make life miserable.

It's missing the starter and air filter cover, maybe some other stuff I'm not remembering atm.
I bought it off eBay cheap, thought maybe I'd fix it.....
I've got a pretty decent complete L65 as well, it's got a gooey melted fuel line.

Thinking about selling em both, cause I've got too many projects and no time...
Talk to me… Perhaps I have something for some of your newer huskies that we could trade for?

The only real bad apples up here as far as neighbors, are usually the city people that moved up during the covid(I call them covidiots) who like to involve themselves in everyone's business. These are private roads and the local kids will ride around on their dirtbikes/atvs...it's not illegal, they aren't hurting anyone, and it's been going on for years(I did the same when I was their age.) However, the city transplants are the fun police and are being real richard-heads about it...one guy even tried to hit a kid on a motorcycle. I've talked to them and they're good kids...besides, I think it's cool that there are still kids that go out, do stuff, hang out with their friends, etc instead of just being plugged into a phone/playing video games all day.

Luckily, I get along with my immediate neighbors...even the weirdos across the road from me. It's the grandparents, both adult children, and all the grand kids living there under one roof. I'm pretty sure one of the adult children likes to dabble in the meth...piss revving your Harley late at night and very frequent 10 minute trips on said Harley, are good indicators of that. :laugh: One of the women there is a crazy horse-lady...she thinks they have their very own "Ponderosa" and has a few horses in a smallish corral. I've never seen anyone ride those horses, but I try not to involve myself in their business. My only complaint about that is I have to deal with their flies during the summer.
Ah, my absent neighbor is another "crazy horse" person, Has no money to deal with issues on the property but keeps horses in Chicago and takes trips overseas. really likes Cuba which says a lot of itself.

We had a huge influx of people move into this area during Covid as well… But I haven’t really seen any issues locally as most of the places on our road have been in their respective families for a long time. The place that sold two years ago had been in the same family since it was first opened up in the 50’s.

Ah, my absent neighbor is another "crazy horse" person, Has no money to deal with issues on the property but keeps horses in Chicago and takes trips overseas. really likes Cuba which says a lot of itself.
I goal isn't to disparage horse owners, but horse girls are a big red flag for me. 🤣

I've got no room to talk though, I bet a lot of people would think I'm weird and question my priorities.

We had a huge influx of people move into this area during Covid as well… But I haven’t really seen any issues locally as most of the places on our road have been in their respective families for a long time. The place that sold two years ago had been in the same family since it was first opened up in the 50’s.

All the work-from-home types showed up during covid...luckily a bunch of them finally had to go back to an actual worksite. I'm also hoping this winter scared off the stragglers who hadn't left yet.

I goal isn't to disparage horse owners, but horse girls are a big red flag for me. 🤣

I've got no room to talk though, I bet a lot of people would think I'm weird and question my priorities.

All the work-from-home types showed up during covid...luckily a bunch of them finally had to go back to an actual worksite. I'm also hoping this winter scared off the stragglers who hadn't left yet.
Judging by the traffic in “the cities” (what we call Minneapolis-St Paul metro) most people are back to the office now. It sure was nice traveling through there during Covid. The main thoroughfares suck-they were designed for a population of about 1 million and now the greater metro is 3.7 million. We have a huge monetary surplus in the state but taxes are sky high and they don’t fix anything. Go figure.

Judging by the traffic in “the cities” (what we call Minneapolis-St Paul metro) most people are back to the office now. It sure was nice traveling through there during Covid. The main thoroughfares suck-they were designed for a population of about 1 million and now the greater metro is 3.7 million. We have a huge monetary surplus in the state but taxes are sky high and they don’t fix anything. Go figure.

Money gets wasted big time...a lot of it goes to political "virtue signaling" programs, i.e. things that don't help the majority of voters, but sound good to the base of those in charge.

Even in vital/important agencies, money gets misspent. I think of my own situation...I'm trying to run/maintain a large 70 year old facility that's just crumbling apart everywhere you look...our budget is ridiculously small. Meanwhile, other programs in our agency are grossly over funded...if I just had a small portion of their budget, I could have this place completely fixed up and ready for the next 70 years. However, they won't shift any of that money away from that program and the people in that program are just wasting money buying stupid crap, as they don't want to have their budget to shrink next fiscal year. Needless to say, it's very frustrating...the "process" has a way of beating up those of us who care about doing a good job.

Put up a sign for him to let him know what you are doing.
Doesn't sound as if he is privy to any info. Sounds like a need to know thing that should come from the proper authority on the subject.. Fences make good neighbors sometimes,, sad but true.. Many cliches apply to an #$%hole neighbor..

Latest posts

Back