Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have posted a couple pictures, but it has been a while now, of my brick and mortar grille/smoker. I can’t call them up from my phone though. It was sized to use a half of a steel drum as a cover. There are doors on two sides of the chimney. A bit of a learning curve to using it; every fire is different, of course. It was years before I even started trying smoking in it.

I have gotten to the point in life where I am thinking life’s too short. Like:

Life’s too short to …
Life’s too short for …
Life’s too short not to…

That “point in life” is stage IV colon cancer. It has spread out of the colon. All they can tell you is the average is two years. Too many variables to predict anything else.

In the interest of helping someone stay out of this, get your screenings done when you are told. Become aware of what the symptoms are and get them checked. I have nothing to elevate my risk except that I am over 50. Never drank, never smoked or used tobacco in any form. No history in the family. It doesn’t care. It can happen to anyone; it can happen to you.

I have posted a couple pictures, but it has been a while now, of my brick and mortar grille/smoker. I can’t call them up from my phone though. It was sized to use a half of a steel drum as a cover. There are doors on two sides of the chimney. A bit of a learning curve to using it; every fire is different, of course. It was years before I even started trying smoking in it.

Life’s too short to …
Life’s too short for …
Life’s too short not to…

That “point in life” is stage IV colon cancer. It has spread out of the colon. All they can tell you is the average is two years. Too many variables to predict anything else.

In the interest of helping someone stay out of this, get your screenings done when you are told. Become aware of what the symptoms are and get them checked. I have nothing to elevate my risk except that I am over 50. Never drank, never smoked or used tobacco in any form. No history in the family. It doesn’t care. It can happen to anyone; it can happen to you.
Don't give up the fight. You may want to contact this clinic: https://www.burzynskiclinic.com/

Life’s too short to …
Life’s too short for …
Life’s too short not to…

Sorry to hear of your struggle. My step daughters husband had stage four and he was 34 years old .

Life’s too short to …
Life’s too short for …
Life’s too short not to…

I dont have any words to help, except I will pray for you. I was diagnosed with kindey cancer back in Oct, 2022. The docs jumped on the treatment and had surgery to remove part of my right kidney in Nov.. Last week I was back for a checkup and Doc gave me the thumbs up, alls clear. No sign of any cancer. Still have to continue the treatments every 3 weeks, but thats better than the alternative. Early detection, regular checkups, are the keys to treatment and survival.

Well decided to call the ups guy back and schedule the test, figured it can't hurt tot take the test and get in contact with someone at the facility I'm actually applying to, instead of a guy on the phone from wherever he's head quartered at. Counting down for the weekend need to get a pile of stuff done, hopefully that includes site prep for the shop.

Not trying to start a dodge ,Chevy, Ford fight ( there are years of each brand I like) but I will say this last truck I picked up was not bothered at all by a very full load of green hackberry. It hauled it quite well.
99 3/4 ton 4x4 with Dana 60's and a 360 magnum. ( I still hate the smell and expense of diesels)

Life’s too short to …
Life’s too short for …
Life’s too short not to…

Well. That flat out sucks. I'm thinking of you. Gotta make the most of every day.

Looks like a nice haul for sure.
Is that real Alaska, where's all the snow. Don't tell me in the hills, I see that ;).
🤔Good question? Ask ShootersApprentice where all the snow is?
As far as "real" Alaska? 🤷 I didn't know there was a "fake" Alaska until Shooter told me about it, so you'll have to ask him! 🤣😉

someone should like this. seems to fit into 'and other stuff'

when excess is not enuff

.View attachment 1074584

https://www.motortrend.com/features...yimageid=fc3a02c7-876d-4fc5-bc66-7d075a2386f0
My buddy had a 74 Kenworth with a Cat V12 and two GMC 8-71 super chargers. That was enough for me. Those eight tires frying, sound a lot different that a hot rod Smoking it's tires. We were heading up South Mountain, just a big hill, to Philly. Another tractor got on the CB and yelled, "Man, what the hell is in that thing? I'm empty and your pulling away from me!" It didn't look like Thor. it was just a Plain Jane cab over on the outside.

I don't smoke anything, but I do like to grill over wood that imparts a flavor ... like grilling venison steaks or burgers over Black Cherry!

Black Cherry is abundant up at my property. Wish I also had Hickory up there, but there is none. Will also have to try Black Birch, there is a good amount of that up there also.
My daughter bought the two acre lot two doors down. The previous owner only mowed the front yard and around the pool, once maybe twice a month. So, now 30 years of Black Cherry saplings have turned into 60' tall 16"-20" straight as an arrow poles. I've taken about 10 down and have 20 or more left. I'll probably be selling pure cords of Cherry this fall.

Not trying to start a dodge ,Chevy, Ford fight ( there are years of each brand I like) but I will say this last truck I picked up was not bothered at all by a very full load of green hackberry. It hauled it quite well.
99 3/4 ton 4x4 with Dana 60's and a 360 magnum. ( I still hate the smell and expense of diesels)
I've been a die hard Mopar guy since I bought my 65 Dart GT in high school. I bought my sisters 99 Ram 1500 4X4. It was her husbands baby. It had never been in the rain, garage kept. When I got it it would get 17-19 MPG, pull my dump trailer loaded with Oak, and I loved the maroon paint. Like snapping your fingers, when it turned 20, every thing that goes wrong on a 20 year old truck went bad. The last 6 months I had it, I put over $1000 a month in it. Finally gave up and traded it in on a 2018 F150. The F150 had a $51,000 window sticker, and they had it for sale for $35,000. I bought it the first day of 2000. It was essentially a 2 year old truck with 6 miles on it. I love the 2.7 twin turbo. It's more powerful than the 360 and gets 25 MPG on the highway.

But, I still miss the old Dodge.

My daughter bought the two acre lot two doors down. The previous owner only mowed the front yard and around the pool, once maybe twice a month. So, now 30 years of Black Cherry saplings have turned into 60' tall 16"-20" straight as an arrow poles. I've taken about 10 down and have 20 or more left. I'll probably be selling pure cords of Cherry this fall.
HVC FW whats not to like.

Funny thing yesterday when I got in to the room for the stitches the front nurse came back to see the wound . She said “ I was expecting it to be much bigger “ my instant reply was “ I’ve had woman say that before “ she busted out laughing saying “I walked right into that one “
Zing!

Latest posts

Back