Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I’m a fan but the ford 2.7 ecoboost will outwork a diesel one ton from 25 years ago and get 25 mpg when not loaded. The newest half tons from all the majors are impressive except for dodge. That stuff always was junk and will continue to be.
I like my 2.7L ecoboost, but the late 90's diesel pickups I've driven would twist the crankshaft right out of that little ecoboost if you put them head to head. And it will not get 25mpg under the absolute best of conditions.

Oh yeah.
The boy needed help clearing a trail thru the neighbors place for his quad, he said the Sawzall wasn't cutting it, literally!
Dad to the rescue.
I couldn't see leaving the cherry to rot there, so I brought the first load home. Didn't seem like much after the 20+ we pulled out of the pond area yesterday.
20230430_151810.jpg

I like my 2.7L ecoboost, but the late 90's diesel pickups I've driven would twist the crankshaft right out of that little ecoboost if you put them head to head. And it will not get 25mpg under the absolute best of conditions.
I’d never buy one but they’re impressive for such a small displacement. I’d take one in a heartbeat over any 90s era diesels in the pickup market. I’ve seen plenty of them getting 25 mpg with the 10 speed.

You can get away with saying that :yes:.
I was going to take some pictures last night, but I worked out in the rain so long my phone got water in it in my pocket and the lense covers on the back side of the battery cover had condensation on them. I pulled it apart today and cleaned them all up and took a few. I only have about 8' to fill on the dam lol. If I only had your little tractor for a day :).
View attachment 1078969
Hard to tell, but the dam is about 40-45- from the back bottom to the front, the change in elevation between the bottom of the gulley and the top front of the dam is about 8-10'. The front of the dam is only about 3.5' above the bottom, but I have a lot of dirt to move yet, should be 12-15' when done.
The tractor still isn't running well, I dumped the filter/separator 5 or 6 times and it was still acting up. Guessing the filter is saturated with water, I'll change it later this week and give it a shot.
View attachment 1078970
View attachment 1078971
So, this pond will be, what, 2’ deep?
🤪
I guess ya have to be there…

You can get away with saying that :yes:.

It’s all relative. When I was talking to the dispatcher at the local company I hired to haul the loader up, he couldn’t figure out which one I was talking about at first (It had been dropped in his yard by a long haul truck, that would not go up to the mountains). When he finally got it, he said “Oh, the little one”.

That being said, mine is rated to lift the weight of ten of yours (To a 2’ bucket pin height). The payload of mine is the weight of 5.6 of your machines. :p :eek:

But I don’t think mine will be digging any backyard pools. 🙂

Got about 8" fresh inches of snow last night. Lost power twice. Now we're supposed to have 40+MPH winds and more snow for the next 36 hours or so, so I'm pretty sure we'll lose power again. I'm ready for this crap to end!!!

Then my cousin went and picked up my new 500i and the FS 131 string trimmer that I'm going to put a brush blade on to cut trails through my woods. I don't think I'll ever have a need for the 28" bar, or at least not very often. So, I'll hang that one the wall and put one of my 25" bars on it. Been trying to get a few 25" Stihl light bars for a while, but can't ever seem to get my hands on one.

My cousin lives in Southern WI, and I won't be down in the area until the 18th, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can get my hands on either of the new tools.

4-30-3.jpg

4-30-8.jpg

4-30-12.jpg

4-30-11.jpg

4-30-9.jpg

New trucks are worlds better than the old ones. Literally in every way. People buy old truck for the nostalgia factor alone.
Very true, the only way I would argue an old truck is better is ease of maintenance and the cost of maintenance/repair. Ask the owner of a 2015 Ram 1500 that has his 8 speed transmission go out. There aren't many transmission builders that will touch one and a remanufactured unit from Chrysler is approximately $5000 plus the labor to install.

That being said, the driveability and creature comforts are so far ahead that I am definitely on the fence between getting a newer truck from down south and building an older truck with a newer drivetrain.

Nice truck .

Not knowing what you use for it would be If you were to upgrade the 350 it should work well . My 85 is built to 1970 specs with extra head work so it’s pretty stout . The only limiting factor is the transmission specially if it’s a 700r4

Problem with getting a square is you are competing with collectors .
Yeah, it looks nice and is still available.

I would use it for going up north and pulling my boat. I think I'd ditch the 350 for the 6.0. My brother has a 3 door Suburban, 1971 I think, he has a 6.0 and 4L80 in it. That's a fun truck to drive.

Yeah...the square bodies are hot now. Probably not the right time to get into one.

Well, you’re talking about a bigger truck. Of course the D60 is too small for the rear, it’s also too small for the front of a 550. My IH 1 ton has a Dana 70 in the front. A Dana 60 is perfect for the rear of a 3/4 ton.
No, they started the super Dana 60 in the 05 f550. The front axles don't need to be super heavy in heavy trucks, the brakes and 19.5 tires are what I'm after. They also used bigger u joints and supposedly have a tighter turning angle then the regular d60.
We'll have to agree to disagree about their use as a rear axle in a 3/4 ton truck. They were fine when the truck were light, tow capacities were low and engine hp/torque were low, but even in the mid to late 90's you were pushing their limits with the diesels and big blocks. Not knocking it as an axle they were are are very good for the rime frame they were designed in.
Also, the newer axles from the 550 I'd like to get are going into a 92f350. If everything works out like my imagination think it will work out, I'll be doing another cummins swap, and the bigger real axle will give less issues then the ford 10.5 that's under it now.
I know, it goes against my sensibilities as well. 10 years ago that was a 5k dollar truck. I just can't justify the 50k plus for a new 3/4 ton. I also don't want to buy a 5-10 year old truck that still has problems that are waaaaay more expensive to fix than an older truck.
Yep. I get it. I've been offered some stupid amounts of money for my 96, but first I couldn't replace it for the same money, and second it's stupid simple to work on.
Heck I sold my first gen cummins for $5k 10 odd years ago. As nice of shape it was in then, I'd bet I could easily get 3 times that for it now.
Not that I’m a fan but the ford 2.7 ecoboost will outwork a diesel one ton from 25 years ago and get 25 mpg when not loaded. The newest half tons from all the majors are impressive except for dodge. That stuff always was junk and will continue to be.
Well have to disagree about that.
Yep.

I’d never buy one but they’re impressive for such a small displacement. I’d take one in a heartbeat over any 90s era diesels in the pickup market. I’ve seen plenty of them getting 25 mpg with the 10 speed.
They are cool little engines, I'd like to replace the expedition with a super crew f150 eventually, but it would be a down grade in the tow department unless I find one that had the max tow package, or whatever heavy tow package they offered. Still won't replace the big block or diesel.
It’s all relative. When I was talking to the dispatcher at the local company I hired to haul the loader up, he couldn’t figure out which one I was talking about at first (It had been dropped in his yard by a long haul truck, that would not go up to the mountains). When he finally got it, he said “Oh, the little one”.

That being said, mine is rated to lift the weight of ten of yours (To a 2’ bucket pin height). The payload of mine is the weight of 5.6 of your machines. :p :eek:

But I don’t think mine will be digging any backyard pools. 🙂
It's all perspective...😉0601111952-01.jpg
I think that's a big miss on GM's part.
They wernt a big seller. I know a bunch of guys that had or have them and only one of them has a 2500... with the 8.1l engine in it. It's a gas hogging beast to say the least.

Got about 8" fresh inches of snow last night. Lost power twice. Now we're supposed to have 40+MPH winds and more snow for the next 36 hours or so, so I'm pretty sure we'll lose power again. I'm ready for this crap to end!!!

Then my cousin went and picked up my new 500i and the FS 131 string trimmer that I'm going to put a brush blade on to cut trails through my woods. I don't think I'll ever have a need for the 28" bar, or at least not very often. So, I'll hang that one the wall and put one of my 25" bars on it. Been trying to get a few 25" Stihl light bars for a while, but can't ever seem to get my hands on one.

My cousin lives in Southern WI, and I won't be down in the area until the 18th, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can get my hands on either of the new tools.

View attachment 1079024

View attachment 1079025

View attachment 1079026

View attachment 1079027

View attachment 1079028
The FS131, when equipped with the various accessory heads, does a great job on grass, weeds, woody brush, saplings, edging and bed defining but is pretty much useless on snow. 😉

That power head is one of my most used ones... I didn't get the Kombi, I just buy the heads and use them on the same shaft. If I was swapping heads every day the Kombi would have made sense.

I'm not impressed with the 2.7, my buddy has one and even on trips i've never seen it get anywhere near 25mpg. He gets about 1 mpg better than my Silverado's 5.3 on trips, but I get about 1 mpg better around town. When going up a bigger hill, his shifts down a couple gears and on the same hill my 5.3 rolls right over it without downshifting.

Put a trailer behind both, and his 2.7's fuel millage goes down more than my 5.3's and the 5.3 doesn't need to rev as much on hills.

Personally, I wouldn't want one...

SR

Back