Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JustPlainJeff

JustPlainJeff

ArboristSite Operative
The FS131, when equipped with the various accessory heads, does a great job on grass, weeds, woody brush, saplings, edging and bed defining but is pretty much useless on snow. 😉

That power head is one of my most used ones... I didn't get the Kombi, I just buy the heads and use them on the same shaft. If I was swapping heads every day the Kombi would have made sense.
LOL, ya, probably won't help much in the snow. But if the snow ever does stop in this damned place, I'll use the tractor with the rotary cutter to maintain the trails after I use this to get the initial path cut.

In hindsight, I probably should have gotten the Kombi system. Then I could have used the pole saw attachment as well.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
LOL, ya, probably won't help much in the snow. But if the snow ever does stop in this damned place, I plan to use it with a brush cutting head to cut trails through my woods to ride the side by side on. After I get them cut the first time, I'll use the tractor with the rotary cutter to maintain them.

In hindsight, I probably should have gotten the Kombi system. Then I could have used the pole saw attachment as well.
With the right combination of parts you probably can rig up a pole saw... I also have an HT131 which is the same basic power head and I imagine that, outside of the foot on the case, the rest of the parts would fit on the FS131.

It also just occurred to me that the Power Sweep and Bristle Brush could be attached so it could be used with snow! 🤣 I don't have those (yet). 😉

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
jellyroll

jellyroll

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I sold it because I like to drive my trucks and cars and i would get pissed off with every chip and nick . The one that sealed it was when I was going to Tennessee and got a bulls eye in the windshield . Had a shop repair it at the show guy who bought it trailers it to shows with an enclosed trailer . And the fact the guy offered me a stupid amount of money at the show .

The truck couldnt get out of it's own way low HP 350 and 3.07 rear it did get 17 or 18 mpg though
Truck was immaculate only thing I redid on it was the headliner View attachment 1078858View attachment 1078859View attachment 1078860View attachment 1078861View attachment 1078862
This was on the way home from Tennessee
View attachment 1078863
Nice burb.

StihlBug
Hey guys. I picked up a starter/upgrade kit a week back. Despite best efforts I haven't made it out into the paddock to drop some wood lately, but hoping to do so next weekend. I'm planning on running regular 3/8 Stihl RS on a second bar to compare against the Hexa in both wet and dry wood. I've got some Gum and Iron Bark that have been down about 2 years that'll be pretty hard by now. It'll be interesting to see how the corner holds up on the Hexa going into dry, hard wood. Plus a lot of the sticks on my place have mud-filled pipes. If I run square ground chain it's dulls off as soon as I hit mud. I'm keen to see how the Hexa holds up against a bit of dirt. Will report back to let you know how I go. Will run it on a 460 or 500i.

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey guys. I picked up a starter/upgrade kit a week back. Despite best efforts I haven't made it out into the paddock to drop some wood lately, but hoping to do so next weekend. I'm planning on running regular 3/8 Stihl RS on a second bar to compare against the Hexa in both wet and dry wood. I've got some Gum and Iron Bark that have been down about 2 years that'll be pretty hard by now. It'll be interesting to see how the corner holds up on the Hexa going into dry, hard wood. Plus a lot of the sticks on my place have mud-filled pipes. If I run square ground chain it's dulls off as soon as I hit mud. I'm keen to see how the Hexa holds up against a bit of dirt. Will report back to let you know how I go. Will run it on a 460 or 500i.

G'day SB, good to see you. We're going to need to see lots of pics to determine the effectiveness of the Hexa chain in proper hardwood. Ironbark, I'm jealous. 👍

Squareground3691

Squareground3691

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
You try Stihl 33RM semi chisel, probably be ideal for ur type of cutting,

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
Cherry for sure. I think the other one is box elder if I had to guess, but it's been dead awhile. Not heavy enough for black locust. I'm not turning it away though!

Sounds like I need to start playing the 'sore knee' excuse to get wood turning up on pallets, too :laugh:

H-Ranch

H-Ranch

Is there an ECHO in here?
. AS Supporting Member.
Sounds like I need to start playing the 'sore knee' excuse to get wood turning up on pallets, too :laugh:
Shhhhhh.... I know this is the scrounging methods sharing thread (or at least it was when it started), but I can't have word like that getting out or the gravy train will end! Just keep it between us, OK? ;)

Lee192233

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Good morning fellas. It was a busy weekend here. We had my youngest son's 4th birthday party and we cleaned up some of the mess where I dropped the trees last weekend.

It's easier to get the kids to help pick up branches when there's fire involved.
20230430_145632.jpg
I was fueling up the MS400 when I spotted this....20230430_140603.jpg
Happy May.....20230501_063324.jpg
Can't see it very well, but it's snowing now.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I’d never buy one but they’re impressive for such a small displacement. I’d take one in a heartbeat over any 90s era diesels in the pickup market. I’ve seen plenty of them getting 25 mpg with the 10 speed.
I love my 2.7 twin turbo. I usually have about 7-800 pounds of stuff in the back and get 19.5-21.5 on the highway. Long flat trips I’ll hit 24. Going from my house in MD to my place in WV I’ll get about 2 mpg less going, 19 range, and 2 mpg better coming home, 21 range. Elevation at home is 268‘ above sea level, and 1577‘ in WV. Funny how that little bit over 120 miles makes that much difference. Towing my tandem dump trailer it drops to 13-16 mpg. My old 99 360 Ram got 16 mpg on a good day, towing the trailer it dropped to 8-9 mpg.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Good morning fellas. It was a busy weekend here. We had my youngest son's 4th birthday and we cleaned up some of the mess where I dropped the trees last weekend.

It's easier to get the kids to help pick up branches when there's fire involved.
View attachment 1079138
I was fueling up the MS400 when I spotted this....View attachment 1079139
Happy May.....View attachment 1079140
Can't see it very well, but it's snowing now.
My wife hated when I'd have a big brush fires. I'd wait till I had 4-5 dump trailer loads and a rainy day. One evening my neighbor came over, sat on my 3" Oak slab bench, grabbed a beer out of the cooler and said, "I can see the flames from your fire out on RT70, 5 miles away?" Since I got the Brush Bandit she begs me to cut trees down, and no one is allowed to feed the chipper but her! Sometimes, like in this video, she will grab the feed bar for balance, and reverse it, but she's getting better.

Latest posts