Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad to hear that all of your projects are done and you have time to reminisce over 8 year old posts! LOL :laughing:

That black cherry is not down yet, but the small bing cherry next to it brought itself down this year. It's actually still trying to blossom I think so maybe I'll leave it and the cherries will be easy to reach in July. Then I can take them both down.
I was pretty sore after changing the plugs on the excursion, therefor I earned some screen time ;).
When I bucked up some of the cherry I had in the trailer Friday I notices that a few of the sticks had branches that were leaving out, I cut that load on February 4th :oops:. Pretty amazing, that tree was working on what it needed this spring back then. Trees ain't slackers :laugh:.

I did a little on the pond/dam yesterday after rototilling at my BIL's. I did more than what the pics show because we had a little rain so it packed it down a little.
Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.46.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.47.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.47.25 AM.png

Here's a good comparison of what we see from the back windows, in the near yrs we should have a water view and not just sand/dirt lol.
Oh yeah, there's the too be split pile off to the right, it's grown too :).

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.22.23 AM.png

Looking at this last picture reminds me I need to go mow the grass :baba:, at least I get to run some equipment :). It's a lot greener here now.

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.22.56 AM.png

I was hauling steel when NAFTA started, I'd pull up the companies I was hauling to on my laptop, most of them had plants outside the states :nofunny:.
Remember when Ross Perot talked about that sucking we would hear and the powers that be silenced him, well...:sucks:.
Video added :).

Yup, sure do remember that. I worked for a major valve manufacturer from 1980 to 2000. During those years I watched piece by piece of that company get shipped out to Italy and Mexico. In 2000 they shipped the division I was in to Mexico. At a big meeting they asked if anyone had any questions about the move. I got up and said that the Mexicans would never be able to make that product line. I was told to sit down and shut up. They brought in 20 Mexucans for us to train on our equipment. I could not train mine to setup a simple lathe. After 5 setups on the same part in 2 weeks I gave up. I gave my 2 weeks notice and left that company. Five years later they moved that division back from Mexico. The next year they offered me my job back with full benefits, 5 weeks vacation, seniority and a pay raise. I turned them down. Two years after that they tried to rehire me again. I turned them down again and never looked back. The old saying of screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me came to mind.

I've been busting my behind trying to get the honey do list caught up and I got 12 pages behind! Married 30 years this year so we're taking a vacation to Greece, flying out this evening. Not even going to try and keep up so keep on scrounging!
As an afterthought, the Carolina squat could be handy unloading those big rounds....

You might have a chicken problem when you buy 12,000 lbs. of feed, lol
IMG_4027.jpegMy son and his wife have about 300 chickens, layers and meat birds they are going to sell. They are getting set up pretty good. Just finished helping them with their 30ft mobile chicken coopIMG_1151.jpegStarted life as a camper then a friend converted it to a 16 ft flat bed then my son lengthened it out and built the coop on it. We milled most of the boards with the chainsaw mill and the tin was a free scourge (blew off airport hanger) so mostly just had to buy the plywood and screws. He also has a 15x20 coop and 2 small chicken tractors that were built with milled and scrounged material.
If anyone is interested this is their FB pageIMG_1170.png

I've been busting my behind trying to get the honey do list caught up and I got 12 pages behind! Married 30 years this year so we're taking a vacation to Greece, flying out this evening. Not even going to try and keep up so keep on scrounging!
As an afterthought, the Carolina squat could be handy unloading those big rounds....
Congrats!!

Congrats Jeff. :clap: Have a fun time.

You might have a chicken problem when you buy 12,000 lbs. of feed, lol
View attachment 1080747My son and his wife have about 300 chickens, layers and meat birds they are going to sell. They are getting set up pretty good. Just finished helping them with their 30ft mobile children coopView attachment 1080748Started life as a camper then a friend converted it to a 16 ft flat bed then my son lengthened it out and built the coop on it. We milled most of the boards with the chainsaw mill and the tin was a free scourge (blew off airport hanger) so mostly just had to buy the plywood and screws. He also has a 15x20 coop and 2 small chicken tractors that were built with milled and scrounged material.
If anyone is interested this is their FB pageView attachment 1080750
Does that mobile children coop keep the kids from getting under foot in the house? :dancing:

Finally got a laser sight for the Ruger 10/22. It's a laser Max and it slides right on after you remove the barrel strap. They claim it is sighted in already for 25 yards. aai took out a empty cat food can and shouldered but did not use the "GI sight" and I hit it just fine. We get night visitors to the chicken coops so a laser sight is great, might even add a side light on the rail. I did have to remove the front sight to get it on. My other rifle with a laser sight is my SKS, just a little bit of over kill for a fox and even with people over a 1/4 mile away don't need to wake them up.
10-22 laser  max.jpglaser max.jpg

Back