Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanna give a shout out to @Sierra_rider. For transforming my MS260 Pro from what I "thought" was a strong saw. To what now actually "is" a strong saw! 🤣 Thanks again bud! You do professional saw work! I think it's safe to say you are definitely a pro modifier. Not only dose it have some sack now, but It came back to me in better condition than when I sent it! Good on ya!
good news! makes my day, too! 😋
:blob2:

I wanna give a shout out to @Sierra_rider. For transforming my MS260 Pro from what I "thought" was a strong saw. To what now actually "is" a strong saw! 🤣 Thanks again bud! You do professional saw work! I think it's safe to say you are definitely a pro modifier. Not only dose it have some sack now, but It came back to me in better condition than when I sent it! Good on ya!

Thanks for the shout out man! IMO professional users are going to have the highest expectations and it's rightfully so...so to get accolades from one such as yourself, is an honor. Makes me feel good that I'm "hitting my marks" so to speak. Now I'm just looking forward to how our next project turns out. 👍

Thanks for the shout out man! IMO professional users are going to have the highest expectations and it's rightfully so...so to get accolades from one such as yourself, is an honor. Makes me feel good that I'm "hitting my marks" so to speak. Now I'm just looking forward to how our next project turns out. 👍
Now I may have to ship some saws to you bro if you’re truly the cat’s meow.

G'day, no the wood doesn't have a peppermint aroma, that's only in the leaves. The smoke does smell quite nice though. I've wondered about using certain eucalypt species as smoking wood, they're all different and no doubt some will be better than others. However, like Australians regard anything that is not a eucalypt as junk for firewood, we also typically only go for hickory, cherry, apple etc for smoking and regard eucalypt as no good for that. I doubt it is so clear cut in either respect.

The wood isn't stringy though and is one of the more splittable eucalypts. Not uncommon to split a 20" round with one motivated hit from the X27. Not much good for lumber but great firewood, between oak and locust for density and very little ash.
Cowboy!! If I had feelings you could have near hurt them !
Some Australians believe that you guys grow some great firewood. Its just Eucalyptus grow all over Australia so we are spoilt for choice generally when it comes to Firewood, We just don't have single species forests like some of yours are, unless they are plantation species.
Just be aware though....if an Australian doesnt insult you he doesn't like you :) It's how we show affection......

Now I may have to ship some saws to you bro if you’re truly the cat’s meow.

I don't know if I'm all that, there are some good builders out there...I don't do anything too wild IMO, just a little work on the ports and some machine work on the cylinder.

If you really are interested, your best bet would be next fall. Busy season for my regular job is just around the corner and I have to be careful about not overextending myself during the summer months.

Well fellers, I was out on the Monstromint scrounge again today. Stihl working through the four stems and a little limb material.

11th May 1.jpg

I was a little wary of the piled logs having seen a few people (professionally) who have had legs broken from rolling logs. Managed to work it out without getting squashed. The timberjack was useful today, I figured that if I pulled weight off from the other logs from 1.5 metres away I'd have a chance if the higher log came my way as I worked my way along. I doubted that it would, but...

11th May 2.jpg

This filled the trailer with some left over

11th May 3.jpg

11th May 4.jpg

TBC...

I realised that I'd need a bit more to load in the ute so I cut up the last log as well.

11th May 5.jpg

Trailer looked like this

11th May 6.jpg

I also docked up a few dry limbs which can go straight in the fire tonight. A few bits went in the trailer, the rest in the back of the ute.

11th May 7.jpg

10 or so cubes from this tree so far or 2 2/3 cord. I'm delighted as I was scratching my head wondering where I was going to get the wood I need to supply my one customer, my brother and my parents. Haven't got to the main trunk yet so there's another cord there and probably another from the remaining logs, limb material and uglies.

The bloke who owned the property by the tree stopped by and said that he'd push the small stuff up with his tractor and burn it once it dries out a bit more. He was grateful for me getting rid of the heavy stuff and I intend to make his task easy by pulling out all the uglies and rejects as well as the good stuff. They don't stack so well but burn just the same. I'm at work all day tomorrow and out to the farm over the weekend but then next week I'll sort out the trunk and tidy things up.

Scrounge on :rock:

I heart any post where someone takes the time to add a picture :).

Hang on. I thought you were hearting my scrounge posts because I was posting quality scrounge but now you're telling me you would heart it if I posted a picture of Hunter's junk?? :rolleyes::crazy2::laugh:

Fact check: True :laugh:
I guess I'm Australian :laughing:
Hang on. I thought you were hearting my scrounge posts because I was posting quality scrounge but now you're telling me you would heart it if I posted a picture of Hunter's junk?? :rolleyes::crazy2::laugh:
Maybe I need some small print on that statement :yes:.

Back