Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What we’ll be the water source for the pond?
There's a good amount of land that dumps water into it when it rains. Just hoping once it's lined with clay that that's enough.
How big is your pond going to be? Pics deceptively make it look small.
It's about 50xx125'. The pics are deceiving, that's why I try to put various things in them like the tractor and the kids in that set last week to help show the size. I need to get out there with the 100' tape measure and see where I'm at. Depending on how the leveling goes around the pond I'll make it a bit wider or smaller as I'm shooting for 12-15' deep on the deep end.
I actually moved a bit more tonight when I got home, it's looking real good, and almost ready to add another 4-6' of topsoil to the back side of the dam. I drove the 2008 Toyota Camry back near it to show my wife, then I said to here, I think we might be able to make it all the way around, her eyes just went :oops: :lol:. That's why she's married to me, we balance each other out :yes:.

Well, we're going to the wife's grandmother tomorrow come heck or high water... going to load up a few saws, the trimmer with pole saw attachment and a few other tools in the expedition. Fill the gas tank and put her in the wind. 50% chance of rain... so I'm taking a rain jacket. I have so much to do here at my place.... ugg, you guys know how it is. If she doesn't catch me ill try to grab some pics of what a bamboo over run forest looks like. It's a sad mess for sure.

Well, we're going to the wife's grandmother tomorrow come heck or high water... going to load up a few saws, the trimmer with pole saw attachment and a few other tools in the expedition. Fill the gas tank and put her in the wind. 50% chance of rain... so I'm taking a rain jacket. I have so much to do here at my place.... ugg, you guys know how it is. If she doesn't catch me ill try to grab some pics of what a bamboo over run forest looks like. It's a sad mess for sure.
Don't forget the tractor 😉.

It's staying at home... last time I had one of my tractors in that bamboo it cost me a front tire.
It was joke lol, you told us that.
I see a few spots of bamboo when I'm driving down in Ohio, none of them seem to be any larger than an inch or two, window big the stuff would grow here in Michigan, never seen it over an inch here.

It was joke lol, you told us that.
I see a few spots of bamboo when I'm driving down in Ohio, none of them seem to be any larger than an inch or two, window big the stuff would grow here in Michigan, never seen it over an inch here.
Oh, that's small stuff... I'll do my best to sneak a few pics.
Edit, that was a few years ago now, can't believe you remembered lol.

There's a good amount of land that dumps water into it when it rains. Just hoping once it's lined with clay that that's enough.

It's about 50xx125'. The pics are deceiving, that's why I try to put various things in them like the tractor and the kids in that set last week to help show the size. I need to get out there with the 100' tape measure and see where I'm at. Depending on how the leveling goes around the pond I'll make it a bit wider or smaller as I'm shooting for 12-15' deep on the deep end.
I actually moved a bit more tonight when I got home, it's looking real good, and almost ready to add another 4-6' of topsoil to the back side of the dam. I drove the 2008 Toyota Camry back near it to show my wife, then I said to here, I think we might be able to make it all the way around, her eyes just went :oops: :lol:. That's why she's married to me, we balance each other out :yes:.
No springs nearby you can tap?
A fresh flow would make it much better :D

It's near perfect weather here, the only downside is that there is still a bunch of snow up the hill. I took a quick trip up the mountain to see if one of my favorite cycling roads was clear of snow yet...I've got a pretty big ride/event coming up in July, so I'm trying to get the most elevation gain per a mile that I can.

The answer was no, still a wall of snow several feet deep...no pics of the snow berm, as the forest service guys had a bunch of equipment running and I didn't want to get in the way...so only a picture from the vista point, this is at about 7k feet:
943142140_IMG_20230512_1008117622.jpg.478f1dda71619281f134bc1fe81e708a.jpg

Back up plan for today's ride, the high spot was only 5k'...58 miles and 6400' elevation gain:

IMG_20230512_144344250.jpg.a83d54129e3ec3f23eca517db6251817.jpg

Also managed to work on some saws once I got back, no pics of that though.

Got a few saws and a 'trash' pump to fix today...local firewood guy.
The 362 stihl would run/idle but not turn the chain. The entire clutch, oil pump and brake assembly was encased in old, burnt, solidified pine pitch.
I almost called him to suggest ebay and buy a new saw 🤣.
Most solvents were useless. Gas at least loosened things up a bit to be able to pry stuff off in chunks with a screwdriver. and... 2hrs later I got the clutch drum off, lol.
I have never seen this in 40 yrs of wood cutting .
🤪
I like a challenge, lol

Maybe a third of the airflow through the pull cover. Gonna try pressure washer tomorrow.
20230512_232203.jpg

G'day fellers,

Got after the Monstromint trunk today. I reckon Limby's grapes might have gone back inside.

13th May 3.jpg

The first couple of rounds were pretty easy being off the ground.

13th May 4.jpg

I dug dirt with Limby so the 460 did most of the work today. Looks tiny sitting on that log.

13th May 6.jpg

13th May 5.jpg

Bandy, who owns the land behind me stopped by. He was happy with the progress. He had asked the shire to remove it and got a case number, which is code for "when we get around to it, don't expect anything soon". He only had a husky rancher and didn't want to have a go at the trunk.

TBC...

Ended up with the usual 2.5 cubes today. There were a couple of low sprouting branches so there were a few more noodleables than splittables but it's bulk BTUs which makes it all good.

20230513_145235.jpg

13th May 7.jpg

And this in the ute

13th May 8.jpg

Going out to the farm tomorrow. Will unload the ute in the morning, the trailer might have to wait until Monday. Mitch is a bit behind on his firewood so I'm going to cut up logs for him, then will hopefully scrounge some green stuff for next year.

Scrounge on :rock:

Ended up with the usual 2.5 cubes today. There were a couple of low sprouting branches so there were a few more noodleables than splittables but it's bulk BTUs which makes it all good.

View attachment 1082312

View attachment 1082313

And this in the ute

View attachment 1082314

Going out to the farm tomorrow. Will unload the ute in the morning, the trailer might have to wait until Monday. Mitch is a bit behind on his firewood so I'm going to cut up logs for him, then will hopefully scrounge some green stuff for next year.

Scrounge on :rock:
Nice haul, but that wood is a bloody mess 😝.

No springs nearby you can tap?
A fresh flow would make it much better :D
Not that I'm aware of unfortunately. It would be awesome if that were the case and I could have me some pond raised rainbow trout :sweet:.
I've been told by someone that it will not stay full enough with evaporation, but I'm gonna try anyway as I see a lot of ponds that are mostly full with only some loss in the summer, and they are out in the full light, where this will be in the shade most the time.
Gonna try pressure washer tomorrow.
Be careful with the pressure washer, I bought a saw one time that had the case gasket blown into the case, only thing I could think of was that someone hit it with a PW. I'm just glad that deal worked out good in the end for me.
I have never seen this in 40 yrs of wood cutting .
Dang stihl guys :innocent:.
I like to spray my saws down with WD40 before I start cutting pitchy wood and every tank thereafter, many times my saws are cleaner but the time I get done with the job then when I started :happy:.

Not that I'm aware of unfortunately. It would be awesome if that were the case and I could have me some pond raised rainbow trout :sweet:......
Nothing wrong with trying to grow pond raised Bluegill. Wish I had a pond out back I could go and catch my dinner.

Latest posts

Back