Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I forgot to post the pic of the view (of Putnam Lake) from the hike we took on the day before Mother's Day. (My wife, one daughter and two grandkids).

We also ran into two folks harvesting ramps on the way in. Now I know where they are near here! They are disbursed, but they are there!

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_142915235_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_142915235_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230513_142922500_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_142922500_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Unloaded yesterday's scrounge, both ute and trailer. Now have this to show for the last week's scrounging.

View attachment 1082490

View attachment 1082491

Some big blocks down this end. They're all either unsplittable or the grain will lead to stupid shapes if split. Might have to get Cowgirl to load them in the fire for me though :laugh:
Nice scrounge! Nice scrounge indeed!

So, pulled the carb…clean inside, nothing damaged…looks ok. Will disassemble and sonic tank it tomorrow.
It's probably the solenoid...some guys even carry them as a spare in case you need to do a field repair. I don't have a spare on hand, so I'll never have issues. :laugh:

Is that an older M-tronic 661? I think that they went to a finer fuel filter at some point in the m-tronic's life, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the filter to prevent further issues.

Got the holes cut in some of the IBC's, and moved them from my driveway down to my processing area. Going to go down and use the grinder to cut the rest of them up today and then grind off the rough spots. Our ground is finally starting to dry up, I should be able to order a truckload of logs within the next week to supplement the scrounging from our property.

5-13-4.jpg

5-13-5.jpg

It's probably the solenoid...some guys even carry them as a spare in case you need to do a field repair. I don't have a spare on hand, so I'll never have issues. :laugh:

Is that an older M-tronic 661? I think that they went to a finer fuel filter at some point in the m-tronic's life, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the filter to prevent further issues.
It is an older model, has the H2 filter…which was fuel soaked so it gets replaced.

IIRC, early 661s had an intake boot problem that was corrected in later saws. Not sure if that could be the problem or not, I believe it caused fuel puddling.

Very few saws come out w/o needing revisions, the MS400 possibly being the exception.

I hear they even made revisions to the 462s. Mine are both early versions and I've not had any problems with them.

I also have a 10mm 044 that I purchased new, and it still runs like a Swiss watch.

I think a lot of the problems saws have are due to abusive use.

Had a little time so I figured out why my 026 was flooding out. I took the carb off and removed the cover on the metering side of the carb and found the needle stuck up a little. Removed, cleaned it up and it moves freely again. I couldn't see anything hanging it up. Put it together and it runs great.
Told you to tap it with a hammer ;).

Lol right! Going to attempt to find one thats self supporting this time!
When I married my wife I was cheering because I finally got one over on the child support system here :clap:. My kids moms always had guys living with them and that didn't effect how much I paid, but I didn't ever have a woman live with me so I didn't get that benefit. So I considered marrying her the same as getting another job and not having to pay any more:happy:. Lets go Friend of the Court:buttkick:.

Hope you're successful.

Lol right! Going to attempt to find one thats self supporting this time!
I don't think I would narrow the field like that! Having money or income may be nice, but IMO it is more important to find someone who is honest and friendly.

Most successful women come with an attitude.

Hmm, I have a 661c that floods out...and pours gas out the muffler trying to start it.
My guess is the m-tronic module/trigger device so ordered one.
But, maybe the carb is the culprit like yours.
I hope the solenoid is the problem.
So, pulled the carb…clean inside, nothing damaged…looks ok. Will disassemble and sonic tank it tomorrow.
That's why I typically just sell them when it's a carb issue, or I get one that's new or know to be working. You can waste so much time messing around ordering parts, then trying to get the carb totally clean.
My 661 occasionally misbehaves, typically when it is considerably warmer than the last time I ran it. Then it can flood etc. Sometimes I can get it to start using @MechanicMatt 's patented starting technique. What I have found is that if I know I need to use it on a given day when it is warmer (often in spring/summer, months after its last use), if I attempt to start it the previous evening it seems to help it start the next day, regardless of whether it starts easily that evening or not. I do not bother myself with why this is. Normally though, it starts first pull.
So it runs like an early husky 550:laughing:.
I think that they went to a finer fuel filter at some point in the m-tronic's life, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the filter to prevent further issues.
That's correct.
IIRC, early 661s had an intake boot problem that was corrected in later saws. Not sure if that could be the problem or not, I believe it caused fuel puddling.

Very few saws come out w/o needing revisions, the MS400 possibly being the exception.

I hear they even made revisions to the 462s. Mine are both early versions and I've not had any problems with them.

I also have a 10mm 044 that I purchased new, and it still runs like a Swiss watch.

I think a lot of the problems saws have are due to abusive use.
Boot and ignition coil were issues on the early versions.

Beefed up the cases on the 462. Also changed the piston/cylinder iirc.

My old 440 was a great runner, not the fastest, but it did whatever it was asked. But after running the 462's it was a no-brainer for a work saw and since I have a few 365/372oe's I have plenty of 70cc firewood saws. I feel the same in most the classes of saws, mtronic/autotune saws have a great time saving advantage over the earlier versions for jobs, but I still enjoy running them; even the rubber mount saws, just I won't run them as long.

Abuse can cause problems for sure, but I think many of the problems(especially starting issues) are caused because people don't understand what the problem is. Some things I like to do with the auto-tune/mtronic saws is to let them run a bit after shutting them off, and not to let them run out of fuel.
That seems to be a bigger issue on the earlier AT/MT saws though.

How many you got out there Chipper???
Three that I'm aware of. I have 5 kids, 3 with my wife, and 2 with 2 different women I was never married to :dumb:.
(Yes I was a sinner :yes:). In no way do I blame all the issues with my older daughters moms to be because of them, but they surely had a part in it. Praise be to God I'm doing what I can to live as a changed man, and did things right this time around.

Three that I'm aware of. I have 5 kids, 3 with my wife, and 2 with 2 different women I was never married to :dumb:.
(Yes I was a sinner :yes:). In no way do I blame all the issues with my older daughters moms to be because of them, but they surely had a part in it. Praise be to God I'm doing what I can to live as a changed man, and did things right this time around.
Shoot, a man's gotta sin, otherwise he'd have no reason to go repent on the weekend!!! :)

Shoot, a man's gotta sin, otherwise he'd have no reason to go repent on the weekend!!! :)
I know plenty who live that way. Once I got to what I thought was the end of myself, I figured it was time to make some changes. The irony is I brought myself along for that journey, and I'm still working on getting to the end of myself :oops:.

I don't think I would narrow the field like that! Having money or income may be nice, but IMO it is more important to find someone who is honest and friendly.

Most successful women come with an attitude.
I don’t think you’re understanding what I’m saying – I’m not talking needing somebody who is mega rich, but simply somebody who works a job significant enough to support themselves. In my target market which is early 30’s to late 40s, they had better have some sort of stable job. Chronic unemployed or jumping from job to job is usually a red flag with their personality.… My ex for instance, has never held a job for more than two years.

I will agree that high earning women are usually very inflexible and often have a “my way or the highway mentality.”

Latest posts

Back