Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I got to what I thought was the end of myself, I figured it was time to make some changes. The irony is I brought myself along for that journey, and I'm still working on getting to the end of myself :oops:.
That's either deep... or obfuscation. I tried to add up the number of people on the trip with you but I got confused. 🤪

I heard math is racist anyway, so don't worry if it goes over your head :laugh: .

So how's that pond going?
Yeah, I can only count up to 40-11. (I just saw my uncle a couple weeks ago - he started that family joke about 80 years ago when he was a toddler. He laughed that we are still using it as a way to say an indeterminate number.)

The pond is pretty full now, but it loses some over the summer. I guess it kind of stays at the water level of the ground. I do have a dedicated well to fill it if so desired. I'm not sure how well yours will do if it's above the surrounding ground water level. Hope it works if you can line it with clay.

Yeah, I can only count up to 40-11. (I just saw my uncle a couple weeks ago - he started that family joke about 80 years ago when he was a toddler. He laughed that we are still using it as a way to say an indeterminate number.)

The pond is pretty full now, but it loses some over the summer. I guess it kind of stays at the water level of the ground. I do have a dedicated well to fill it if so desired. I'm not sure how well yours will do if it's above the surrounding ground water level. Hope it works if you can line it with clay.
That's funny about your uncle.

I was talking to myself about the pond 🤣.

My 661 occasionally misbehaves, typically when it is considerably warmer than the last time I ran it. Then it can flood etc. Sometimes I can get it to start using @MechanicMatt 's patented starting technique. What I have found is that if I know I need to use it on a given day when it is warmer (often in spring/summer, months after its last use), if I attempt to start it the previous evening it seems to help it start the next day, regardless of whether it starts easily that evening or not. I do not bother myself with why this is. Normally though, it starts first pull.
I must have missed that patented starting technique.....
I hope the solenoid is the problem.

That's why I typically just sell them when it's a carb issue, or I get one that's new or know to be working. You can waste so much time messing around ordering parts, then trying to get the carb totally clean.

So it runs like an early husky 550:laughing:.

That's correct.

Boot and ignition coil were issues on the early versions.

Beefed up the cases on the 462. Also changed the piston/cylinder iirc.

My old 440 was a great runner, not the fastest, but it did whatever it was asked. But after running the 462's it was a no-brainer for a work saw and since I have a few 365/372oe's I have plenty of 70cc firewood saws. I feel the same in most the classes of saws, mtronic/autotune saws have a great time saving advantage over the earlier versions for jobs, but I still enjoy running them; even the rubber mount saws, just I won't run them as long.

Abuse can cause problems for sure, but I think many of the problems(especially starting issues) are caused because people don't understand what the problem is. Some things I like to do with the auto-tune/mtronic saws is to let them run a bit after shutting them off, and not to let them run out of fuel.
That seems to be a bigger issue on the earlier AT/MT saws though.
I always let my saws run for a bit after cutting. Figured it gave them a chance to cool off some. Ironically, I did run the 400 out of fuel this evening. Ran like shite for a bit after it (finally) started then back to cutting. One thing I like about the husqy auto tune is there's still a choke and usually a purge bulb. Run the 562 out of fuel and it was a few pushes of the purge bulb, 2 pulls on choke then a pull or two with high idle. It was pretty easy to run that thing out of fuel too, by the time it ran goody the tank was dry. The 400 let's you know early enough to shut it down before it runs bone dry.(usually I f-ed that up this evening.)

Finished cutting holes in my IBC's today, and then stacked the last cord I had on the ground into the three totes. Getting ready to buy a truckload of logs probably next week after I finish splitting the little I've got left. I have a lot of standing dead that I should start harvesting too.

Plus, I just like posting pictures of the new tractor LOL! :)

5-16.jpg

5-16-4.jpg

5-16-5.jpg

The boy and I went out back and did a little work at the bottom of the dam, got the branches and whatnot cleaned up from the bottom of the gulley. 5 loads to the bonfire pit and two loads to the to get cut pile. Also pulled the 10" branch out of the gulley. Probably not even a full Australian Ute full, but I was pleased we got something done. Now I can fill that lowest portion, grade it out, and put topsoil on it. I should have done that when I started, but I did a lot of cutting then. I also moved the two small pieces of cherry that were left over from the burning of all the brush and the odds from the pond area. So now I'm ready to move the dirt where the bonfire was and from the lower portion of the ramp on that side, then I'll completely remove that ramp.
Here's the last pics I took, I really need to do a video as it shows what's going on so much better.
Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 11.28.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-16 at 11.28.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-16 at 11.28.35 PM.png

Don't thing I said it here, but I screwed up on where I placed the back wall of the deep end. The grade on the back side of the dam was going to come all the way to the edge of the deep end, I wanted about 12' of flat on top to drive/walk around. So I had to fill a large portion of the deep end in :dumb: , but I guess that's what you get for the price lol. I've probably got 3hrs into filling it in already, and another hr or two to go. I've actually filled it a bit more than this picture shows.
Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 11.37.33 PM.png
This one gives a better idea of the depth on the higher side, the tractor is about is about 3/4 the way into the deep end. The larger cherry just left of the tractor is close to where the end of the pond should come out, as long as my new calculations are right :).
Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 11.40.42 PM.png

Don't thing I said it here, but I screwed up on where I placed the back wall of the deep end. The grade on the back side of the dam was going to come all the way to the edge of the deep end, I wanted about 12' of flat on top to drive/walk around. So I had to fill a large portion of the deep end in :dumb: , but I guess that's what you get for the price lol. I've probably got 3hrs into filling it in already, and another hr or two to go. I've actually filled it a bit more than this picture shows.
View attachment 1083235
This one gives a better idea of the depth on the higher side, the tractor is about is about 3/4 the way into the deep end. The larger cherry just left of the tractor is close to where the end of the pond should come out, as long as my new calculations are right :).
View attachment 1083236
I will assume you have a t-shirt…”Still plays with tractors”. 😀

Latest posts

Back