Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple. They are ok. Sharpen a little easier than Stihl chain. I don't think they stay sharp as long as the Stihl chain, but that is just my opinion. I have so many saws that each gets uses so little that I can't be absolutely sure. I am interested in what you think after you get some use on them.
It’s like 20 dollars less than Stihl per loop, give it a go ,

Jim, I didn't say folks just use chemicals, paying someone to clean the pond out is also "spending money" to keep the weeds out. You made my case, yours have been cleaned out.

My ponds were left by the ice age, we just made them a bit bigger. (dad and me, did dig one of them) My earliest picts/maps are from the 1800's and you can see the ponds there. They are all spring fed and quite a bit of water leaves them, we use to raise trout, they still have fish in them.

They also need to be cleaned out, you just can't get around the plant problem IF you live where it gets warm and there's daylight to feed the plants. That's why you see so many ponds that look "blue", folks are coloring the water trying to keep the sun from getting to the weeds and it doesn't take much sun.

Here's a little fun fact, over the years we have found arrow heads, a stone ax heads ect. along my stream so this was an area that Indians camped, hunted and fished a lot, right here. A few years ago, I found a stone spear point and from what I found online, it's approx. 2000 years old.

SR
Cool spear or whatever it is.
Been waiting to find one out back since we are right off the creek and the river, nothing yet. I've never found an arrowhead, although I've found broadheads, arrows, bullets(projectiles), and even a shotgun, but never a dang broadhead :nofunny: .
Saw this the other day, "sea"weed scroungers lol.
20230517_142406.jpg
These Canadian scroungers ran over to my truck and laid/sat down like I was gonna feed them or something, I don't think so :buttkick:.
20230518_080854.jpg

What's your plan for overflow?
A low spot on the uphill side which is also the shallow side. It's untouched ground and even if it got trenched out buy a very heavy rain it wouldn't drain the whole pond.
I plan on having a spot a little lower(in the beach area) that I won't put clay on and that will help keep the level below the overflow.
When we first bought this place we got 6.5" in under two hrs(not normal), my wife and I worked for two hrs trying to keep the basement from flooding as it was coming in a window where the grade was going towards the house :dumb:(I didn't do it ;)). When we got it to where I could handle it by myself I told her to go take a break as it was a bit intense for most that time. She came back a few seconds later and said, I think you’re gonna want to see this, I'm thinking probably not. Walked around the corner and saw water coming out of a bedroom the previous owners built downstairs, looked into the room to see water up on the window about 12". Looked like an aquarium.
Not sure if any of the pictures are good, I'll see.

When you try everything else to get the pitman off your steering box but it's been on there since ,07 and tools started breaking, so. I told the guys working on it...don't really care about the core, just need the new box on...
Solved.
Made quite a bang at the 20ton press....😁
replacing the arm was not an option…custom billet steel arm from OTT…special length and drop angle…
20230518_174630.jpg

When you try everything else to get the pitman off your steering box but it's been on there since ,07 and tools started breaking, so. I told the guys working on it...don't really care about the core, just need the new box on...
Solved.
replacing the arm was not an option…custom billet steel arm from OTT…special length and drop angle…
View attachment 1083750
I don't think I would let them work on my vehicles....

Jim, I didn't say folks just use chemicals, paying someone to clean the pond out is also "spending money" to keep the weeds out. You made my case, yours have been cleaned out.

My ponds were left by the ice age, we just made them a bit bigger. (dad and me, did dig one of them) My earliest picts/maps are from the 1800's and you can see the ponds there. They are all spring fed and quite a bit of water leaves them, we use to raise trout, they still have fish in them.

They also need to be cleaned out, you just can't get around the plant problem IF you live where it gets warm and there's daylight to feed the plants. That's why you see so many ponds that look "blue", folks are coloring the water trying to keep the sun from getting to the weeds and it doesn't take much sun.

Here's a little fun fact, over the years we have found arrow heads, a stone ax heads ect. along my stream so this was an area that Indians camped, hunted and fished a lot, right here. A few years ago, I found a stone spear point and from what I found online, it's approx. 2000 years old.

SR
When you consider cleaning out a pond twice in 112 years that is pretty good. The original pond was built on a stream and dammed up on both ends. The sides are naturally sloped downwards. I live in Central Mass. My father in law found 3 arrowheads over the years farming in his field. One is quite large and may be a spearhead. I never looked into them or their origin. My daughter has them now..

Solved.
View attachment 1083750
Can't you use the hot wrench on billet?
I noticed your wallet in the picture too :laugh: .

Yep, the new trailers are pretty built to be cheap and lightweight. My old man has been on the lookout for used toyhaulers, I went with him the other day to look at one...roof vents were cracked, roof was deteriorating. It had rot in one of the corners, so he walked away from it...he's looked at a few so far and all had leaks. You basically have to have it under cover or replace the roof every few years, or it turns to crap.
Have a buddy with a 30+ (I want to say 36 but that sounds too long, its huge though)foot 5er. It's 5 years old, and just ran out of the extended warranty. The main slide out that has the indoor kitchen in it has leaked since day one. It's been "fixed" about a dozen times. He's had pipes break from frame flex, the back door to the hauler section has had the assist springs break a few times, appliances crap out in months to a few years. Only thing worth a hoot on the whole darn thing is the TV and fridge in the outdoor kitchen. That side has a big pull out awning thats pretty sweet too, but it stops at the second slide out. He's been trying to sell it since they bought a place up state. Well and the extended warranty ran out. It's a sweet rig, sleeps like 10 people, and pretty comfortably too. Just could never get past all the issues he's had with it, especially with the price he paid for it.

When you consider cleaning out a pond twice in 112 years that is pretty good. The original pond was built on a stream and dammed up on both ends. The sides are naturally sloped downwards. I live in Centrsl Mass. My father in law found 3 arrowheads over the years farming in his field. One is quite large and may be a spearhead. I never looked into them or their origin. My daughter has them now..
Doesn't seem too bad to me.
That's kinda how my land was shaped, but no stream, it's a gulley that runs towards the creek at the bottom of the grade, which runs into the river about a quarter mile from there.
Just finished a 1:30-145hr digging session on mine. I managed to burn thru 8 gallons of fuel already since last weekend iirc. Got the top of the dam widened about a ft, only 12 or so more to go and 3-4' deep of dirt. Not sure how many yards of soil that is, but lots. Tonight I counted up to 25, then stopped, when it started getting dark I told myself I'd only do 5 more buckets. Yes I was talking to myself again, and he listened :laughing:. So I know I did at least 30 buckets, so there's around 5 yards.

Have a buddy with a 30+ (I want to say 36 but that sounds too long, its huge though)foot 5er. It's 5 years old, and just ran out of the extended warranty. The main slide out that has the indoor kitchen in it has leaked since day one. It's been "fixed" about a dozen times. He's had pipes break from frame flex, the back door to the hauler section has had the assist springs break a few times, appliances crap out in months to a few years. Only thing worth a hoot on the whole darn thing is the TV and fridge in the outdoor kitchen. That side has a big pull out awning thats pretty sweet too, but it stops at the second slide out. He's been trying to sell it since they bought a place up state. Well and the extended warranty ran out. It's a sweet rig, sleeps like 10 people, and pretty comfortably too. Just could never get past all the issues he's had with it, especially with the price he paid for it.
So it's kinda like owning a boat, best day is buying it, and selling it lol.

My logging buddy called. He had a few white oak logs milled up. Got me some 4/4 boards to make sides for the trailer. Wet as all get out. I was gonna stack them in the wood shed, but realized pretty quickly I already had too much wood in there. Wife said stack them in the basement. OK with me. Got them stacked then tossed thay ash slab on top. Figured they should dry out pretty decent in there. We have a huge dehumidifier running this time of year to keep the moisture down, so I'd guess it should be pretty ideal for air drying the boards out.
I had intentions of putting e brake cables on the vw then splitting more wood... I'll do the brake cables before work tomorrow morning. I'll condense and cover the wood pile up till next week when I'm back on morning shift for a few days. Just not enough time in the morning to do much starting at 12 or 1 in the afternoon....

Attachments

• 20230518_184945.jpg
    20230518_184945.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Most graders have the front tires flipped like that as it makes them wear better and they clean them selfs out better.

The diesel engine lacks electric start so the gas pony motor is essentially a starter.
Anyone know when the decals will be in stock/sent out to donors,like me?

Rebuilt a '62 D-4 with pup engine.....Welded up the boggies on the tracks to remove wear/slack. That little dozer dug a pond and never labored........don't know if electric motors were around for the Caterpillars......maybe some did have a pump motor.....??

I'm contemplating building my own little camper. I don't really want a trailer...a cab-over would be more my style, but that means taking my headache rack on/off my Dodge whenever I use it. Besides, I don't need all the amenities. Basically just a roof over my head and stuff to cook with.

I used to go all over the place racing/riding dirtbikes, just sleeping in the bed of my pickup and eating whatever I could scrounge from other people's cooking...or crap I cooked up on the little hibachi. I'm tired of those days...no more crappy meals, no more sleeping in the bed of a pickup when it's 20 degrees out in the desert, etc. I'm thinking just something that can stay warm and has a really basic kitchen set up. Also something I could lock my bicycles up in, as I mostly am traveling nowadays to do cycling races, as I stick to local stuff for the motos nowadays. Basically just a glorified camper shell.

Dave aka @Czed likes them if im not mistaken, hes ran a lot of the archer and chini stuff.
Me not so much, insert trump saying China here 🤣
I'm sure you posted this from your Amish built android phone using Mennonite technology IMG_20230501_112453.jpg
Talking about chains it's 47.98 per loop of stihl 84dl chain locally after 6% sales tax
Stihl went stupid on pricing over 15 year's ago
I always ran Stihl chain since the 80s
On far superior Husqvarna saws
Stihl was my favorite then Carlton,Windsor then Oregon in my use.
I cut a lot of yard trees and fence line clearing full of metal or ceramic insulator's so I've damaged a lot of chain it hurts less when they cost 10.00 per loop
But I have saws that cost less than a loop of Stihl chain now.
So I started running china chain about 8 year's ago when all chain got too pricey for me no issues stretches like Oregon lgx then settles in
Lasts about like Oregon for me
Still haven't broken one on ported saws
IMG_20230403_133343384_HDR (1).jpg
Lately I've been running the hipa chain it was 5.61 per loop of 84dl full chisel shipped
They have a buy one get one free deal going on
I bought 60+ different chains to have around for customers saws and local firewood seller's.
IMG_20230516_172317.jpg
Cuts good for out of the box stuff.

I'm sure you posted this from your Amish built android phone using Mennonite technology
Nope, haven't found one made in the USA yet, or I'd buy it, you know I do what I can to stay away from anything china.
Dang, that's crazy high for those stihl chains :envy: .
I need an 84dl x .063 bar or two, I have a bunch of chains, but sold all those bars yrs ago.

Back