Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine is having his pond dug by a local excavator. It's much smaller than yours, a round 50' and 18' deep on the deep end. He was quoted $3600 so it wasn't even worth it to rent anything. The excavator said he'll have it done in 2 days. It's a way simpler design than yours though.

All this pond talk makes me want to put one in.
50' and there's an end Lol.
Even at 3600 I would have done what I am myself, I really enjoy running equipment, maybe I should get a job doing that 😅.
I could probably get mine done pretty cheap too, but right now I'm trying to save my sheckles for concrete in the barn, so the pond is just somethingto do in my spare time ;). If I was around a bit I could sell something and have the cash quick, but i hate putting an ad up and then not knowing exactly when I'll be around.
I often think of making a pond on my upstate property, the problem would be getting large equipment up there.

One of my old logging roads is engulfed by a swamp so bad that 4WD ATVs often don't make it through. I figure just digging there would be perfect.

Ironically, is it also at a higher elevation than my cabin, so it could also be a source of non-drinking water.
What kind of equipment would you need to get up there, an excavator?
Maybe you should see if you can get some bids, then you'd have an idea.
That's part of the reason I want the pond too, good to have fresh water real close, and on your own property if possible. Pretty sure we'll be here a while, so why not have one. Besides one day I was looking at it and it just came to me(I was probably talking to myself) I could build a pond there...

50' and there's an end Lol.
Kinda funny sounding, I know. Basically it's going to be a shallow beach swimming area on one side and with a deep hole on the other for fish to survive the winter. I personally would make a more meandering natural shape like yours. I think it looks better than a round hole in the ground.

Good work on yours! I don't think I could dig my own with my tractor here, the water table is only about 6-8 ft down. I'd have to have an excavator do it.

What kind of equipment would you need to get up there, an excavator?
Maybe you should see if you can get some bids, then you'd have an idea.
That's part of the reason I want the pond too, good to have fresh water real close, and on your own property if possible. Pretty sure we'll be here a while, so why not have one. Besides one day I was looking at it and it just came to me(I was probably talking to myself) I could build a pond there...
Yea, I'm thinking a good size excavator. Major problem is I'm 2 miles in on a windy 4wd road with some steep sections, so no truck that can carry heavy equipment can make it, they would have to drive the excavator up, which is a lot of "track use".

Some guy (on the road before my place) tried to have them haul up a shipping container and they had to get a bulldozer to go up and finish the job! He is from NYC and has much deeper pockets than I have.

Maybe had the wrong choke/start setting? Depending on how long the saw has sat and cooled off? If I've been using a saw (Mtronic or other) and it has cooled off for a little while, if it doesn't start first pull on Run/no choke I'll put it into start or half/full choke and then it will go. Multiple pulls in the wrong switch position ends in sadness. MHO :chainsaw:
I'm back from shopping and a trip to the dealer. He convvirmed what I already suspected. I am just not pulling them fast enough. I demonstrated my starting technique - giving it 5 pulls. Handed it to him and it was runnjing on the first pull. This may be my swan song summer. As I told him "I have never had a problem starting saws before...but then I've never been 88 before either". Thinking back to that day I had no problem starting any of the saws that morning. The trouble hit when I was trying to start them with temps near 80 and already very tired.

Group at coffee call this morning suggested starting fluid so I bought a can. Dealer said that is a no-no as it is too hot for such small engines and would burn them up. Said to use Carb Cleaner instead. Bought a can of that. I am headed back to that huge Horse Chestnut in the morning.

I got a clean bill of health from the doc on my last checkup - all systems "normal" to "excellent". But I am now loosing weight at rate of about 1lb/day in spite of trying to double how much I eat. Not a good sign.

I’ve heard those things are a pain with 4 billion tiny limbs. Supposedly if you use a cone style splitter, it will stop dead in the middle of it.

We had a huge blue spruce in the yard at the house I grew up in. Its top had broken off many years ago in a storm, and it’s sort of regenerated itself and you can’t even tell where it broke off now.

I've cut a few Spruce in my time. Evey one has been a PITA to work up. About like Willow in burning characterristics, Fast, hot and ashy.

Fun day today . The tractor didn’t pass my wife’s torture test . We got it last summer it was a like new piece and the owner moved to a condo . She came in yesterday and said I need you to look at the tractor . View attachment 1083985View attachment 1083986View attachment 1083988View attachment 1083989View attachment 1083990
So a piece of plate and some heat View attachment 1083989
Hmmm, like that when you got it or is she just rough on equipment or hitting things?

Hmmm, like that when you got it or is she just rough on equipment or hitting things?
Think it's a design flaw . We have a very bumpy lawn so the deck bounces a lot . The bracket was welded on one side only so it most likely flexed and fatigued the deck . I welded both sides we shall see if it helps . She tends to go around at fast speed so I'm sure that dont help . There was no evidence of hitting anything

Nice job.
Can't wait to be able to make repairs like that when needed in the barn.
Yesterday I bought a 50' 6/3 extension cord for the garage/ a welder, I don't even have a welder lol.
WOW! That cheese-ball stamped steel deck fixture broke off? And thats on your Bride? Clever way to get that Pole Barn up.....

Back