Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The light bars have become VERY expensive, best to order one with the saw as a package.

I'm glad I have a good # of them (2-20", 2-28". 32" and 2-36"). They are usually a good deal lighter than other light bars in the longer lengths.

The E bars were also fairly light and reasonably priced, but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird in most sizes. I have a few in 20" and a couple in 24".
1# difference for the 28

Sounds like a productive day though none the less.
I have a bit I need to buck up and split out back, probably not this weekend, and next week it warms up into the 80s they say :baba:. Sure is good to be ahead.
Did you ever pick up a couple D handles for those saws. I'd ask the dealer to put them on the 441 and the 400. I think it would really help.

I asked the dealer about them. . He said it only gives a bigger grip, doesn't make them any easier to pull. I can pull them (with effort). Age is getting to me

Not insulting you, but have you checked out your gas? It's odd to have 2 saws not start after running them both. Some left over winter gas possible?
I'm wondering about it but can't believe that is the problem. It is a 2.5 gal mix made a week or two ago. About half gone now. Both saws started and ran normally on it for about 2.5 hours before the problem started. Oil in gas again? I wouldn't say it didn't happen but very unlikely

I'm wondering about it but can't believe that is the problem. It is a 2.5 gal mix made a week or two ago. About half gone now. Both saws started and ran normally on it for about 2.5 hours before the problem started. Oil in gas again? I wouldn't say it didn't happen but very unlikely

Maybe had the wrong choke/start setting? Depending on how long the saw has sat and cooled off? If I've been using a saw (Mtronic or other) and it has cooled off for a little while, if it doesn't start first pull on Run/no choke I'll put it into start or half/full choke and then it will go. Multiple pulls in the wrong switch position ends in sadness. MHO :chainsaw:

Nice job.
Can't wait to be able to make repairs like that when needed in the barn.
Yesterday I bought a 50' 6/3 extension cord for the garage/ a welder, I don't even have a welder lol.
I do all the welding outside . Not a good mix 150 year old wood and sparks . My barn was built in the early 1800s . Need a proper workshop here . I have a large one at the rental 24x32 but it’s an hour away
I like the added gussets…that should have been there in the first place :p
I believe it flexed itself to death . They welded one side of the bracket causing it to vibrate and fatigue. I added welds to both sides
If I can find the pic I'll post it of when my niece hit a pick axe with her cub cadet because some neighbor kids left it in her yard
Spectacular damage
She thought the motor came apart.
I found no evidence of the deck hitting anything . So it was a design flaw in my opinion.

I need a Blue Spruce scrounger! My cousin took to 2, 6' pick up loads and said no more. He's taken 2-3 loads of Maple. I kept all of the Cherry, and split a cord of Maple for myself. No one will take the Spruce?
Calling @dancan. Calling @dancan. :rolleyes:

They run fine but are not as strong as ported 372s
I used the scalloped style ft pistons later I learned
Simonizer used non windowed jonsereds 670 pistons he was well known for them
I'll try those next I have like 8 372s
I get that, but for the price and how they run, it's a great investment/upgrade.
I read a lot of the threads on them being used, everyone liked Simon's builds.
I can't remember which piston I used in the last one I built, that went to Northern Ireland and was previously a mmws. I out the mmws cylinder, piston, muffler, and carb on a 372xpg and then sold that to help fund the pole barn build. Too bad I can't afford to keep all the toys.
I've got a ported 365oe, and two modded 372oe's, ones an xpg. I also have that 2166, it's all stock and I plan on selling it. I should probably bump my ad in the trading post, I posted it when a lot of people where holding back on spending, it would probably sell now.

I need a Blue Spruce scrounger! My cousin took to 2, 6' pick up loads and said no more. He's taken 2-3 loads of Maple. I kept all of the Cherry, and split a cord of Maple for myself. No one will take the Spruce?
I’ve heard those things are a pain with 4 billion tiny limbs. Supposedly if you use a cone style splitter, it will stop dead in the middle of it.

We had a huge blue spruce in the yard at the house I grew up in. Its top had broken off many years ago in a storm, and it’s sort of regenerated itself and you can’t even tell where it broke off now.

The vid is perfect for show what it actually looks like!
seems you have enough volume space in there to add some big rocks and/or tree stumps for fish/bug habitat.
I think it's still really hard to tell, but it's much better than the pictures, very little depth in them.
Quite pleased with what I got done out there last night, it felt like I was getting nowhere, then it finally started filling in. The top of the dam is now really wide again, and now I have a lot more to fill there to bring the top of it all the way up, probably another 3-3.5', it goes slow 1/3 of a yard at a time.
I'm mainly digging in the deep end and taking from the slope going down to it now, it isn't going to be quite as big as I had hoped in the bottom, but there would be plenty of room for habitat if needed.
I'll probably end up renting a large tracked skid to final grade everything and finish the deep end once I get it all roughed in, then I'll kick myself for not just renting it right away lol. I'll also have to rent a skid to spread the clay, the tracks will do a much better job packing it in than the tractor, and the tractor wouldn't make it out of the deep end with clay in there.
Long way to go, but I'm about half a yr ahead of where I had hoped to be :).

I think it's still really hard to tell, but it's much better than the pictures, very little depth in them.
Quite pleased with what I got done out there last night, it felt like I was getting nowhere, then it finally started filling in. The top of the dam is now really wide again, and now I have a lot more to fill there to bring the top of it all the way up, probably another 3-3.5', it goes slow 1/3 of a yard at a time.
I'm mainly digging in the deep end and taking from the slope going down to it now, it isn't going to be quite as big as I had hoped in the bottom, but there would be plenty of room for habitat if needed.
I'll probably end up renting a large tracked skid to final grade everything and finish the deep end once I get it all roughed in, then I'll kick myself for not just renting it right away lol. I'll also have to rent a skid to spread the clay, the tracks will do a much better job packing it in than the tractor, and the tractor wouldn't make it out of the deep end with clay in there.
Long way to go, but I'm about half a yr ahead of where I had hoped to be :).
A friend of mine is having his pond dug by a local excavator. It's much smaller than yours, a round 50' and 18' deep on the deep end. He was quoted $3600 so it wasn't even worth it to rent anything. The excavator said he'll have it done in 2 days. It's a way simpler design than yours though.

All this pond talk makes me want to put one in.

I often think of making a pond on my upstate property, the problem would be getting large equipment up there.

One of my old logging roads is engulfed by a swamp so bad that 4WD ATVs often don't make it through. I figure just digging there would be perfect.

Ironically, is it also at a higher elevation than my cabin, so it could also be a source of non-drinking water.

Back