Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that. My old man, is going through a similar issue. I don't personally think starter fluid or carb cleaner will be a big deal, well as long it's not a big squirt of it. Gotta do what you gotta do.
A can of starter fluid thrown into a bonfire is interesting…DAMHIKT….:p

A buddy text me today and asked if I wanted to cut a load of firewood, I said sure, so we got everything ready and headed waaay out back, where I had some scrounged logs.

I brought the logs and even whole trees to the wagon, and he cut firewood lengths off them,

Resized-20230521-164151-S.jpg

Some of the logs were decent size,

Resized-20230521-162600-S.jpg

My wagon holds a lot of wood, but it didn't take too long to get a full load,

Resized-20230521-170703-S.jpg

And with that, I hooked up to the wagon and we headed home,

Resized-20230521-171810-S.jpg

We will get it split another day,

SR

A buddy text me today and asked if I wanted to cut a load of firewood, I said sure, so we got everything ready and headed waaay out back, where I had some scrounged logs.

I brought the logs and even whole trees to the wagon, and he cut firewood lengths off them,

SR
And, only slightly overloaded 🤣

Harry no doubt you are physically well above your age peers. If i make it to 88 years old i’ll settle for just watching a warm fire. Cutting firewood now at age 65 tells me i dont stand a chance as i age on.

True. I am still surprised at my state of health. I come from a tribe noted for their longevity but to still be able to be out there wooding is unusual.

I think he just needs the "D" style starter and to drop start it if he's starting it on the ground.

With the decomp, I reckon that should work. Mind you, it gives me the willies when I see my dad drop start the saw without the chain brake on. Each to their own of course, but I always start with the chain brake on. I've had two patients with chainsaw injuries drop starting and managed to cock it up.

The "physcally able" part is also becoming a bit dubious. I'll be talking to the doc next week and see what he thinks. I suspect it is what I expected - excellent health until one thing goes wrong and then it will be a cascade.
Things started out fine in the spring. Got up to 3.5 hrs working no problem but now I have to force to make 3 hours. That could be more due to the heat (above average for the past couple weeks). " Que sera, sera, what will be, will be"

Mate, 3 hours of wooding and my old mate Roscoe is cooked and he's 48. And that's with me doing most of the work.

You do need to investigate the weight loss as a matter of priority but do not stop wooding, whatever you do.

G'day fellers,

Had a rubbish weekend weather-wise so no scrounging but headed out this arvo to the Monstromint. Picked up where I left off on Thursday. The round face on that chunk on the right was around 24in.

22nd May 1.jpg

Managed to forget to take a pic before starting the loading (again) :buttkick: .

22nd May 2.jpg

Once I had cut, split (or noodled) and loaded that, I worked my way back along the tops, cutting with the 241 and 460. There was some dry dead limb wood in there which was nice.

22nd May 3.jpg

Ended up with this in the trailer

22nd May 4.jpg

And this in the ute

22nd May 5.jpg

I figured there was another couple of face cord there for the scrounging today. I was wrong but in a good way, looks like there is another couple of cubes left after today :happy: . Might be next weekend before I can get out there again as the weather is deteriorating later in the week and I have some other scrounging commitments.

Scrounge on :rock:

Sorry to hear that. My old man, is going through a similar issue. I don't personally think starter fluid or carb cleaner will be a big deal, well as long it's not a big squirt of it. Gotta do what you gotta do.
Maybe the answer is to get a smaller saw with a compression release valve. They sure do make starting a saw a lot easier.

I would pop the air filter and give the saw a little squirt of gas and oil mix. I do this with any saw I haven't run in quite some time. Usually the saw fires up on the first pull.

SR
Nice when you have a helper to do work like that.

I do not drop start "cold" saws. I'm much better at starting them when they are on the ground and my foot is in the handle. I also do not use the compression relief on a "cold" saw. IMO, that defeats the impulse line to some degree.

If the saw is "warm" I usually use the CR and drop start it, usually one or two pulls depending on how long it has been off.

I do not drop start "cold" saws. I'm much better at starting them when they are on the ground and my foot is in the handle. I also do not use the compression relief on a "cold" saw. IMO, that defeats the impulse line to some degree.

If the saw is "warm" I usually use the CR and drop start it, usually one or two pulls depending on how long it has been off.
I like putting the bar tip on a log , and push away saw while pulling at same time , I know the Mac125’s that’s kinda the only easy way , with the high compression saw’s

Maybe the answer is to get a smaller saw with a compression release valve. They sure do make starting a saw a lot easier.
That's "kinda" what I had to do. I sold my 268xp and bought a 562xp because the 268 doesn't have a compression release and i just couldn't pull it over fast enough without feeling pain in my back.

SR

I'm contemplating building my own little camper. I don't really want a trailer.... Besides, I don't need all the amenities. Basically just a roof over my head and stuff to cook with.

.... I'm tired of those days...... I'm thinking just something that can stay warm and has a really basic kitchen set up. ...... Basically just a glorified camper shell.
I just got back from a 4 night camping trip hosting (I bring the firewood) my Brother and my Nephew's family. I Sleep in a tent and Nephew has a popup camper. He's talking about getting a bigger hardside. Not for me. I believe in the KISS method, yet the ground is getting hard and it's harder to get up and out of the tent.

So I have 'plans' to convert a camper shell into a slide-in type camper for my 5x8 firewood trailer. Kind of like those made for pickups. Nothing special, just a place to sleep, get out of the rain, and cook morning coffee. I was going to make a teardrop trailer out of my Dad's trailer, but my BIL bought the four wheeler and trailer from him. Besides I really don't want another trailer to have to liscence in IL.

With the decomp, I reckon that should work. Mind you, it gives me the willies when I see my dad drop start the saw without the chain brake on. Each to their own of course, but I always start with the chain brake on. I've had two patients with chainsaw injuries drop starting and managed to cock it up.
I don't use decomps, a good number of my saws have them plugged.
One of the reasons I want to get the 268 popup pistons for the 372s, very easy starting and still great performance. I may not need that as much today, but it's nice to have what you need before you need it when you do.
I don't always drop start a saw, but when I start a saw I typically do :laughing:.

My dad's solution is to call me over whenever he cant/won't start a saw. I don't need a smaller saw lol.

Latest posts

Back