Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mike, saw this yesterday and thought of you, never seen one before. It say 700 plus hp on the side, can't see it on my phone now.
Probably make a good scrounge vehicle, really whip a trailer around lol.
View attachment 1087061
Another pretty much useless "truck." The bed is too short and the payload capacity too small for anything for which I need a truck!

the truck is not useless. it has a propose just not as a work truck. its a "look pretty and go fast truck". more power to him for having fun.

Anyway, again long time no visit on this forum. Good to see they did not kick me out for inactivity yet. Iv have been splitting wood a lot when I get time. palying catch up again trying to get a full year ahead at least.. iv got almost 6 full cord split (axe only) this year. want to get at least 12 done this year to cover next years 6 too. we use about 6 a year. lots of time at the wood pile has been very rewarding and......cant complain about the quiet time.

Is it 4X4? My cousin has two, a B and an L, not 4X4. They are great for mowing flats, plowing and tilling his garden. But my cheap China loader with 20HP diesel and 4X4 will walk the dog on just about any other task.
It is 4x4

Surprised the heck out of me when it happened. And I only had a 1" strap on hand. Luckily only two miles to go. The parts will be in this morning, and I haven't crawled under yet. Are the bolts standard, or do the take something special? I'm thinking I want to replace them and the easiest way to remove them is with a cutoff wheel.
I cut mine off redrilled the crossmember and used grade 5 bolts nut on top of the crossmember easiest way for me

rust belt is a fun place eh? amazing how fast a vehicle dies a rusty death from the salty roads. from the moment I got my truck home from the dealer I religiously rust proof it every fall. Not just the under carriage either. inside doors, rockers inner and outer, cab corners, fenders, hood, tailgate, pillars, inside frame rails, list goes on. I go thru a 5 gallon pail of fluid film every 3-4 years and about 5-10 spray cans of it once a year:laugh::laugh:. truck has been on the road for 8-1/2 years and there is zero rust under it, in the rockers, doors, fenders. she is clean. hard to believe a RAM is rust free eh? ford, chevy, dodge they all rust anyway. :crazy:

its a good 1/2 day of work or better but only 1 time a year. well worth it. yes it makes it more of a PITA to work on. ya get dirty. but..... no rust.

my wife didn't want me to do it to her new truck originally. she has now changed her mind as it is a 2019 and starting to show rust on the frame already. it is getting the FF this fall.

I hit it with some PB Blaster and I did get the nut to move. Thought the bolt, was turning, but the head isn't turning, so maybe it's welded to the frame. Soaking in more PB and will at least replace the nut.
I have had luck running the nut back and forth a little bit at a time, even starting with 1/4 turn. Use lots of PB/WD40/Kroil, don't get it hot, and don't force it. Take 5 minutes and come back to it if you need to.

Is it 4X4? My cousin has two, a B and an L, not 4X4. They are great for mowing flats, plowing and tilling his garden. But my cheap China loader with 20HP diesel and 4X4 will walk the dog on just about any other task.
Just something I noticed since I've gotten my 7510. My old man has a L245dt. 26hp and I think 20pto hp. It's basically the cheapest L series you could get in 77. We've had it for many years and I've always found it to be quite capable, unless you want to run something big on the pto. Then it sucks, just doesn't have power. Even with a 5 foot brush hog you have to run low range first gear. The thing I don't understand is, that 7510 handles it with no issues, now I gotta slow down for real tall stuff but it does a much better job, idk if uts just from being a hydro or having close to the same power in a more compact tractor. (The live pto helps on my B too dad's L quits as soon as you whisper in the clutch.) Now he spanks me in lift capacity, ground clearance and most larger ground engaging equipment, but for general tasks the 7510 is just better suited imo.

For the tinkerers

If you want a rather cheap 070 clone build kit this one of neotec is discounted with free shipping for $176 with code “SPECIALNEOTEC”

That return saw 8105 I got running smooth and the top cover was damaged during shipping a bit. The kit has metal top covers for replacement so I said why not.

https://neotecworld.com/products/complete-chainsaw-repair-kits

Have you tried putting the saw on the ground, holding it down with your foot and pulling? I showed several people how to do this and their starting problems went away, This as they could get a full sharp pull and weren't trying to control the saw itself with their hands. I myself do it with my MS461 and MS661 when they, and I, are cold and not loosened up!
That used dto be my method, then I upgraded to puiting a piece of 1x4 through the handle and stepping on that. Now I am down to kneeling with my knee lightly on the airfilter cover and pull with left hand. Old age has its surprises, seems something knew is failing quite often.

The odd part about the 441 fail to start is that I use the decomp but it was popping out every time I pulled. Never saw that happen before.

Another pretty much useless "truck." The bed is too short and the payload capacity too small for anything for which I need a truck!

Ah for the days when they built WORK trucks, not a pu&&ified show off wagon that can't haul anything. Work truck - 8' bed and not jacked up in the sky. I know one can still special order 8' bedd standard cab but I'll bet you cannot get one that sits down at a reasonable height. For sure you won't find an 8' standard cab on the used vehicle lots.

That used dto be my method, then I upgraded to puiting a piece of 1x4 through the handle and stepping on that. Now I am down to kneeling with my knee lightly on the airfilter cover and pull with left hand. Old age has its surprises, seems something knew is failing quite often.

The odd part about the 441 fail to start is that I use the decomp but it was popping out every time I pulled. Never saw that happen before.
Yeah... I feel every bicycle, motorcycle, automobile, hiking, tree felling, construction related mishap I ever had every day now... The gifts that keep on giving!

Perhaps the decomp has failed... ??

Ah for the days when they built WORK trucks, not a pu&&ified show off wagon that can't haul anything. Work truck - 8' bed and not jacked up in the sky. I know one can still special order 8' bedd standard cab but I'll bet you cannot get one that sits down at a reasonable height. For sure you won't find an 8' standard cab on the used vehicle lots.
I've got one coming my way... My father's 2005 Chevy with 18,000 miles on the clock. He hasn't been able to drive in years... I use it to take care of things for him which includes moving all the firewood I cut at my parents' properties thanks to storms and EAB. My goal is to run it when I need a truck until I can no longer drive and then pass it along to my son. It's carbon footprint is trivial at this point. I hope they still sell gasoline in the future!

That used dto be my method, then I upgraded to puiting a piece of 1x4 through the handle and stepping on that.
Saw an older gentleman who would place the top of the guide bar under a log, picnic table, etc., *** WITH THE CHAIN BRAKE ON *** so that he would have something to pull against, when he could not ‘snap’ it.

Philbert

No firewood for me today, just checking out some of the local hills on my bike ride today. The rivers and lakes are full with snow melt. It's been a hectic week at work for me, I took a promotion, so just tying up loose ends at work with the transition. It was good to just get out and enjoy the outdoors today.

IMG_20230601_165321085.jpgIMG_20230601_162857943.jpgIMG_20230601_175541817.jpgIMG_20230601_181013000.jpg

Latest posts

Back