Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I have your attention please... Please welcome the latest addition to my wheelbarrow fleet (drum roll)...
IMG_1852.JPG
:laugh: Wish it were a new saw to my chainsaw line up. Anyway, this is the "broken" wheelbarrow I got off CL. Cheap made, bottom flexes and limbs are 1-1/4" x 2". Wheel is one of those where the left and right side bearings are about an inch apart. Had to reshape an axle bracket, replace a couple nuts, tighten everything up, make a new axle bushing and air the tire. Ready for duty. Barely used.

That and a Cyclone in the garage would be a fun pair.
I like the typhoon as well.
I've built five s10/s15 with v-8's, fun little rides for sure. But even though I'm more.of a chevy/Pontiac guy, these days I'd probably do up a ranger, it's much easier without needing as many custom parts(or simpler/cheaper ones) and a lot more room to work on them when finished.
That's a new one on me. I had never heard of them. Had to google it
I always liked the black ones, cool trucks.

Hydrostatic shock does some interesting things... I shot a woodchuck with a 180 gr HP from a .44 magnum pistol one time... My then girlfriend and hunting buddy were with me. Upon inspection my girlfriend asked "Where's the fur?"
Yeah, but I was using the ballistic typed .17gr, not hydrashocks ;).
When I shot a woodchuck with the 17, many times it just puts a 1" deep and around crater into them, a 22mag would be great for them here at the house.
Just a couple days ago I saw one outside, ran to the bedroom and by the time I was ready to open the window the little bugger heard me and ran back into the woodshed(probably ran out the back side into my black locust log pile), first time I've ever had one in there.
I need to take care of this one quick, could be one of those woodchucker woodchucks :oops:.

When I shot a woodchuck with the 17, many times it just puts a 1" deep and around crater into them, a 22mag would be great for them here at the house.
Just a couple days ago I saw one outside, ran to the bedroom and by the time I was ready to open the window the little bugger heard me and ran back into the woodshed(probably ran out the back side into my black locust log pile), first time I've ever had one in there.
I need to take care of this one quick, could be one of those woodchucker woodchucks :oops:.

Way to abuse the woodchuck! :dancing: Shotgun with buckshot makes for little pieces too.

I wish that was the way my day went. More later. I have work to do.
So this was an electrical fire on my bead blaster cabinet. I was blasting some parts yesterday when the breaker popped. I had to pee and ran into the house. I didn't see anything wrong when I walked away. I had a bite to eat also. When I went back out to my garage and opened the door it was full of smoke. I shut the door and ran for the water hose. Came back and opened all 3 garage doors to vent the garage. At the same time I had the water on aimed at the back corner where my blaster cabinet is. The fire had already smothered itself out because my garage is fairly airtight and insulated. Long story short. The wiring shorted out on the blaster and caught on fire. The wires are all behind the cabinet and I didn't notice it. That ignited the suction hose to the dust canister. It melted my air line to the cabinet and two sets of wires. Burned the trim around the back door and paint damage to the steel door and blaster cabinet. Smoke damage in the immediate area. Also burned up a few pieces of wood I had next to the cabinet. It was a good thing I had the place closed up. If there was an air source my 3 car garage would be gone along with a motorcycle, snowblower a few lathes and a lot of tools. I already pulled off the trim board around the door before taking he picture.

Attachments

• 20230601_203211.jpg
    20230601_203211.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230601_203215.jpg
    20230601_203215.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 0

Hydrashocks (Hydra-Shok) allegedly cause more hydrostatic shock than other rounds but otherwise they are two different things! Marketing gimmick vs. a terminal ballistics thing.😉
When I started chuck hunting it was with a .30-06. Within a few months I had a Ruger No 1 in .257 Roberts as 200-300+ yard shots were common and skipping 06 rounds across the countryside wasn't cool. I later got a .22 Hornet for some close in action. Sadly, between development taking hunting areas, and coyotes eating the chucks, the hunting opportunities dwindled. The last ones I shot were in my basement in a Havahart trap... not legal to relocate wildlife! .22 CB Longs from a revolver work for that... They were passed along to the nearby nature center for vulture food. 😉

Glad nothing worse happen, bummer about the mess and all.
Thanks. It is going to be fun cleaning up the mess and getting rid of the fire smell. I need to rewire and rehose the blaster. Even the hoses inside it melted due to the dust hose falling inside and burning up. It could have been a much more serious fire.

Thanks. It is going to be fun cleaning up the mess and getting rid of the fire smell. I need to rewire and rehose the blaster. Even the hoses inside it melted due to the dust hose falling inside and burning up. It could have been a much serious fire.
There are some great natural commercial products out there for removing smoke smells. I use vinegar in a bowl in cars I've bought that have been smoked in. The larger the surface area the better it seems to work, something like a water heater pan would probably help quite a bit to kill the smoke smell, although it's not something that happens instantly.

Finally got the wood pile cleaned up oit of the driveway today. Then change my focus to site prep for the shop. I was worried about needing to get a load of stone, but forgot how much stone and rap was buried where the shops going to go. Shouldn't need another load of stone to say the least. Till I got it decently flat with the box grader amd kubota, I had enough stone to fill in all the low spots in the rest of the driveway.
The neighbor across the lane called me over, so went and talked with him fir a bit. I always forget he's retired and home all the time. Said I made him tired just watching me work, lol. I admit it was a lot for one day, and it was pushing 90* out to boot. Heck even the saw gave me some grief on a hot restart. Normally I don't let them sit in the sun, but I didn't really have anywhere to sit it in the shade, was out in the wide open. Got about 4 logs bucked up, then dug a few more out, got them bucked up then loaded them into the kubota and trucked them out back to the wood shed. I'd guess this took about half an hour, came back to fire the 400 and finish cutting. It fired up first pull then kinda acted funny then shut off. Pulled my arse off till it would stay running, almost like it lost its tune for a bit, then it settled down and ran fine for the remainder of the log pile. Took about 4 more trips to get it cleaned up, same basic procedure. Buck a bunch set the saw off to the side then move rounds oit to the wood shed to be split. Saw started fine every time after that first goof up. Anyway. That's all done, just in time for a bit of much needed rain this evening.

So this was an electrical fire on my bead blaster cabinet. I was blasting some parts yesterday when the breaker popped. I had to pee and ran into the house. I didn't see anything wrong when I walked away. I had a bite to eat also. When I went back out to my garage and opened the door it was full of smoke. I shut the door and ran for the water hose. Came back and opened all 3 garage doors to vent the garage. At the same time I had the water on aimed at the back corner where my blaster cabinet is. The fire had already smothered itself out because my garage is fairly airtight and insulated. Long story short. The wiring shorted out on the blaster and caught on fire. The wires are all behind the cabinet and I didn't notice it. That ignited the suction hose to the dust canister. It melted my air line to the cabinet and two sets of wires. Burned the trim around the back door and paint damage to the steel door and blaster cabinet. Smoke damage in the immediate area. Also burned up a few pieces of wood I had next to the cabinet. It was a good thing I had the place closed up. If there was an air source my 3 car garage would be gone along with a motorcycle, snowblower a few lathes and a lot of tools. I already pulled off the trim board around the door before taking he picture.
You dodged a big bullet with that fire

Beautiful area!

And congratulations on the promo. Hope it works out well for ya. Job changes can be stressful OR less stressful. Hopefully the latter for you.

I got a new job a few months ago and absolutely love it! Feel blessed to be where I am at.

Thanks, I'm blessed to have this in my back yard. Without getting all philosophical, looking across the mountains/other dramatic terrain, has a way of making life's problems a little less significant.

As far as the job, there is added responsibility, but I'm trying to look at the upsides. Besides the pay increase, I see it as a way to make positive changes in my workplace. It's not that my predecessor did things poorly(quite the opposite,) but there are things that I would've done differently. Now's my chance to actually do that.

The biggest potential downside, isn't the responsibility, but rather not getting to "play" as much at work. I think I'll struggle with watching my subordinates doing most of the hands on work and not getting to do as much of it as myself. There will definitely be less trigger time on the saw while at work, I'll mostly be watching others cut.

I finally have some pics to contribute, I cut this yesterday. It was in our way, another one in our way was so rotten the section the choker was around broke out and the rest of the tree stayed put. I guess that one will be coming out in pieces and going to the burn pile.

2BB5C3C7-CAA9-44D9-88D5-AD21EA74A5A4.jpegA4A209A0-9C69-44D3-AF51-3A8C767F18A0.jpeg91B45E22-BB63-41A3-A573-0B4D43B0253B.jpeg1ED7929A-FBDA-4CE9-B36C-0A46C89A8F1D.jpegB416BF05-A416-49EC-A627-A2270D436A3D.jpeg

I‘m still not aware of people driving in from above, except in off road vehicles. I drove up yesterday and took these pictures.

DB6E2236-1227-4BFD-9AF8-5E963ED500F3.jpeg
FE3F20D0-DF72-4C73-8E26-DB976D611C2C.jpeg

Dayam 😳 I just got a blaster cab but the only electrics are for the LED light.
It makes short work of cleaning up cruddy mufflers

I finally have some pics to contribute, I cut this yesterday. It was in our way, another one in our way was so rotten the section the choker was around broke out and the rest of the tree stayed put. I guess that one will be coming out in pieces and going to the burn pile.

View attachment 1087399View attachment 1087400View attachment 1087401View attachment 1087402View attachment 1087403

I‘m still not aware of people driving in from above, except in off road vehicles. I drove up yesterday and took these pictures.

View attachment 1087404
View attachment 1087405

Nice dry rounds 😀
somebody’s been up that road :p. Reminds me of Rock Ck rd this time of year.

Back