Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the wood pile cleaned up oit of the driveway today. Then change my focus to site prep for the shop. I was worried about needing to get a load of stone, but forgot how much stone and rap was buried where the shops going to go. Shouldn't need another load of stone to say the least. Till I got it decently flat with the box grader amd kubota, I had enough stone to fill in all the low spots in the rest of the driveway.
The neighbor across the lane called me over, so went and talked with him fir a bit. I always forget he's retired and home all the time. Said I made him tired just watching me work, lol. I admit it was a lot for one day, and it was pushing 90* out to boot. Heck even the saw gave me some grief on a hot restart. Normally I don't let them sit in the sun, but I didn't really have anywhere to sit it in the shade, was out in the wide open. Got about 4 logs bucked up, then dug a few more out, got them bucked up then loaded them into the kubota and trucked them out back to the wood shed. I'd guess this took about half an hour, came back to fire the 400 and finish cutting. It fired up first pull then kinda acted funny then shut off. Pulled my arse off till it would stay running, almost like it lost its tune for a bit, then it settled down and ran fine for the remainder of the log pile. Took about 4 more trips to get it cleaned up, same basic procedure. Buck a bunch set the saw off to the side then move rounds oit to the wood shed to be split. Saw started fine every time after that first goof up. Anyway. That's all done, just in time for a bit of much needed rain this evening.

Seems like a lot of activity for no pics? :picture:

You dodged a big bullet with that fire
You are not kidding either. The amount of things that I have in there would all be gone. My mig and stick welder, torches, drills, saws, hand tools, fishing gear, boat stuff, generator, the list just goes on and on. Upstairs holds my gym equipment and a 9 foot pool table. I have that closed off. I haven't been up there to see if there is smoke damage yet. I hope not.

I have a separate vacuum canister to suck up all the small crap, bead glass and sand dust.
Found that a bag inside a shop vac is the way to go with fine dust . Nothing like stopping every 5 minutes to clean the filter to make a miserable task unbearable

Thanks, I'm blessed to have this in my back yard. Without getting all philosophical, looking across the mountains/other dramatic terrain, has a way of making life's problems a little less significant.

As far as the job, there is added responsibility, but I'm trying to look at the upsides. Besides the pay increase, I see it as a way to make positive changes in my workplace. It's not that my predecessor did things poorly(quite the opposite,) but there are things that I would've done differently. Now's my chance to actually do that.

The biggest potential downside, isn't the responsibility, but rather not getting to "play" as much at work. I think I'll struggle with watching my subordinates doing most of the hands on work and not getting to do as much of it as myself. There will definitely be less trigger time on the saw while at work, I'll mostly be watching others cut.
Hay man I totally get it. Most all of my life i have been a welder fabricator. Heavy fab doing huge stack welds to tiny a$$ tig welds on super thin stainless. I loved it. It was very hard to step aside and “hand over the torch”……pun intended ;). But im super happy I did now.

its part of learning. Its part of improving your other skill sets and becoming more versatile. Teaching others. Showing others how to become a leader. A good leader teaches other how to become a good leader. It also teaches you to learn how to give responsibility of task and trust to others that you normally would handle yourself. That is hard to do but is necessary.

Good luck in your new chapter man.

Found that a bag inside a shop vac is the way to go with fine dust . Nothing like stopping every 5 minutes to clean the filter to make a miserable task unbearable
Mine is a CL cheap, harbor freight cabinet but it works great so far. Just hook up the air line and turn on the underwhelming light.

somebody’s been up that road :p. Reminds me of Rock Ck rd this time of year.

My friend with the property near mine says his buddies with Toyota 4WDs went out that way last weekend, so that means the melt made their tracks disappear.

Another mountain neighbor hiked in that way last weekend and said there were still stretches that are 7 feet deep. That could melt in a couple weeks, depending on temperature.

Latest posts

Back