Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is that he could benefit more from a chain sharpening session than a ported saw. But hey, nothing says you can't send him down both rabbit holes!
@H-Ranch first things first. Teach him how to use a wheelbarrow so he can get the training wheels off and still be safe.

Loads 8 and 9:

(This space intentionally left blank.)​

20230604_125608.jpg

Load 8 has no documentation since i was so preoccupied with getting help from 2 teenagers that had to "get up early" at 9:15. They may agree with @Sawdust Man that the clocks are wrong.

And that concludes our show for this Craigslist scrounge. At least until he calls me back to say that his BIL's eyes are bigger than his truck and he doesn't want the rest of the pile.

PXL_20230604_192810439.MP.jpgPXL_20230604_192842173.jpgPXL_20230604_192933260.jpg
Got a couple baby back ribs on the top rack over charcoal and apple wood. It's a grill I made about 20 years ago. Heavy as sin and you need to babysit it to keeps temps where you want it. I'd get one of those fancy high tech pellet grills but I just don't think I'd have the sense of satisfaction that comes with using this old tank.

View attachment 1087892View attachment 1087893View attachment 1087894
Got a couple baby back ribs on the top rack over charcoal and apple wood. It's a grill I made about 20 years ago. Heavy as sin and you need to babysit it to keeps temps where you want it. I'd get one of those fancy high tech pellet grills but I just don't think I'd have the sense of satisfaction that comes with using this old tank.
Our weather guesser was wrong. He said the smoke that has caused the haziness here was from Canadian wildfires. :surprised3:

How much wood do you need for winter? :drinkingcoffee:

Historically 13-15 cubes or 3-4 cord or so. I think it will be a bit less now since we have improved the house insulation and plugged up most of the gaps. But I also take another 12 cubes or so to a customer and 3-4 cubes to my brother. I reckon I have cut about 40 cubes this scrounging season.

Are you talking about Zogger’s oakzilla? That was about 5 foot DBH. I have a picture of me standing on it somewhere when I went to visit him.

There's only one Oakzilla. I recall seeing a few progress pics when he was working on it, it was a big unit.

We have a large hardware store / outdoor power equipment dealer locally that was very big on Jonsered, and also sold STIHL. 70% of the time a guy would walk in to buy a STIHL saw and walk out with a Jonsered.

We all know where Jonsered went ☹️.

So, they went to Husqvarna and STIHL a few years back.

Last week it was all STIHL. I asked a manager what happened, assuming STIHL applied some pressure. But he just looked at me and said he could not get parts for Husqvarna. He said he didn’t want to sell customers stuff he could not support.

This is a big store that does a lot of volume.

Anyone else hear stories like this?

Philbert

We have a large hardware store / outdoor power equipment dealer locally that was very big on Jonsered, and also sold STIHL. 70% of the time a guy would walk in to buy a STIHL saw and walk out with a Jonsered.

Last week it was all STIHL. I asked a manager what happened, assuming STIHL applied some pressure. But he just looked at me and said he could not get parts for Husqvarna. He said he didn’t want to sell customers stuff he could not support.

Philbert
I would have believed that about a year ago, but it hasn't been an issue with any of the dealers to get whatever parts recently. My most local dealer got bought out a few months ago though, the new owners armt going to carry stihl or husqy, just echo. Which I wish them luck. Echo is a fine saw, but support from them has always sucked around here. The dealer I next prefer is across the county, they haven't had any issues with parts for stihl or husqy. At least whenever I need something in the past few months, if they don't have it in stock it's a few days to a week out at most. Heard some wiring harnesses are on back order from stihl or something like that, but no one is dropping either that I know of. And we have quite a few dealers of out door power equipment around.

Philbert
I've heard that stihl has told dealers they couldn't have husky, that was one of the reasons husky put redmax out there, they were very well known by lawn care and landscape guys(not sure if they are still selling red max labeled saws since jred is gone.
Stihl dealers had a terrible time getting parts during covid, and had a huge shortage of mtronic saws because the chips were being made in Ukraine, that's why they were selling so many of the non-mtronic versions.
Taken last summer an Amish event in Eastern Ohio.
20220716_103111.jpg20220716_103050.jpg

I've heard that stihl has told dealers they couldn't have husky, that was one of the reasons husky put redmax out there, they were very well known by lawn care and landscape guys(not sure if they are still selling red max labeled saws since jred is gone.
Stihl dealers had a terrible time getting parts during covid, and had a huge shortage of mtronic saws because the chips were being made in Ukraine, that's why they were selling so many of the non-mtronic versions.
Taken last summer an Amish event in Eastern Ohio.
View attachment 1088041View attachment 1088042
Call me old school but we do we really need chips in a chainsaw?

Latest posts

Back