Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here near Syracuse most of the day was not that bright, could not tell where the sun was in the sky, eyes still burning some. Gets any worse might have to use chainsaw to cut a path to the dogs pen!
Been bad here especially for folks with lung problems. Have tried to stay inside in the a/c as much as possible.

I hear that people are finally able to drive to our mountain property area from the road above, I haven’t seen it take this long before. They’re saying some higher elevation campgrounds won’t open until August.
The Edison Lk road is open to the end of the 2 lane section. Gonna be a while for Socal Edison to get it all open with the damage seen by the resort crew that got in there a couple weeks back.
I imagine mid Aug for Dusy.

View attachment 1088218View attachment 1088219View attachment 1088220
My local smoke. 😂Tasted good!
Forest fire smoke has been bad here for a few days. Hazy across the fields and makes for orange sun and moon. Whole country is on fire it seems.
Real bad here today. About 4:30 I was at the saw shop and the automatic parking lot lights came on. I could smell the smoke when I went into the parking lot from the store.... Drivers had their headlights on when I drove home about 20 minutes later. It's raining pretty hard now... I hope it lasts as it's been weeks since we had a soaking rain.

My first attempt at a cherry pie. I picked about a gallon of cherries two days ago, pitted them yesterday, and started putting them together an hour or so ago. The first one is a cheater Cheese Cake. It's my daughters secret favorite pie. Get a grahm cracker crust, a quart of Greek yogurt, I used honey Vanilla. Mix it with a box of vanilla pudding mix and let it thicken, then just pour the fruit on top. The Pie, I actually had to follow a recipe.
Upmi678.jpg

H0aRbs9.jpg

AcdZJXG.jpg

This smoke from whatever big fire is going on just set in here in my area this afternoon. Eyes have been burning non stop since. At one point it was pretty thick. I was trying to figure out if it was from a big local fire, but wife said it's something going on in Canada. Must be a big fire to get the smoke to carry down into PA.

These pics are from our old house in 2003, about three weeks after we moved to our current town. Bushfire burned out more than a million hectares. This one is from the deck looking towards the mountain. There was no cloud, just the smoke limiting visibility to less than 200m. Didn't see the sun for nearly a month.

smoke2.jpg

This was the house, same day. Stihl got the car :rock:

house smoky.jpg

A few weeks later once the fire had more or less burned out we went for a drive up the next valley towards the neighbouring ski resort. Everything was stihl smoking but a speccy view (sorry about the small low-res pic).

smoke hotham.jpg

The Cowcat Mk 1 was very young at this point. She was so small and her collar so big she would stand on it and and tip over.

MVC-167F.JPG

The Edison Lk road is open to the end of the 2 lane section. Gonna be a while for Socal Edison to get it all open with the damage seen by the resort crew that got in there a couple weeks back.
I imagine mid Aug for Dusy.

They tried to get into Bald mountain last weekend and had to turn back because of 8 foot deep solid snow pack, maybe about half way in.

Back