Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats pretty easy, whats your time worth per hour? Whats the machine need per hour? What does the fancy spiller need per hour? Need to cover your costs, wear and tear and pay yourself a reasonable hourly wage. What's your overhead? All needs factored in brother. I can give a few examples from my old man, but he didn't do tree work. $65hr if you provided the material, $80.00hr if he had to get the material+ material cost. That was a certified welder with a fully rigged truck. Covered all his costs and he got a reasonable "pay check" out of working for himself.
My time is worth $1,000,000 an hour! Unfortunately, nobody wants to pay me that! Can you believe it??? Yeah, I cant either!😒

Seriously though Sean. Unfortunately Im not the best at figuring out expenses. I kinda struggle in the department.

I hope you put those new tires on the right way this time...😁🤣
I did. It was kinda funny, I thought I was just swapping the newer spare onto the right side, then I realized it was the left tire and the tire on the left was the right one, then I knew I'd better do it right and proved picture at least one picture to prove I did it 😆.
I used low on my big tractor(L3800) today, doesn't happen very often. But with all the loose sand/gravel from turning around, even that wasn't enough to get enough speed to get out. I'll just rent a tracked skid, need one to move some large rocks for my retaining wall near the barn anyway. I planned on renting one, but had hoped I'd be closer to finished beforehand. It's OK though, because I'll need it again to spread the clay when I find some. I did talk to someone at church today who knows someone about 20 miles from me. I told him I'd be willing to help out with transportation costs if they needed a spot to dump it :). He said he'd let them know. I may need to bust tail and get it all finished up.
I only use high on the big tractor on the road, no need to go any faster than medium on it. The b2920 has 3 gears, I'm usually in high, but if I'm using the loader I'll put it in medium, I don't think I've used low on it.

My time is worth $1,000,000 an hour! Unfortunately, nobody wants to pay me that! Can you believe it??? Yeah, I cant either!😒

Seriously though Sean. Unfortunately Im not the best at figuring out expenses. I kinda struggle in the department.
You need to post another El Chapo video, ur sales will triple ,👍

A skid steer. Believe me! I've use all three. A hookaroon, a peavy and a skidsteer. Not all at the same time of course. 🤷That woud be pretty tuff to do!
Any way, the skidsteer far out performs the other two.

With a grapple.....
Wood luv to own a skidsteer with a grapple. However fiscal demands require either a peavey or a cant hook. It doesn't work to print money from nothing at may house. The gubberment does it, but I wood get a striped suntan if I did it.

I really like it! Its a very capable machine! Im just now breaking 100 hours and Im ten times smother than day one. STIHL have a long way to go though.

Eight hours including time on the saw and saw waste collection and removal. I'd say at least 1/3 of my time was in bucking and lay out. It's way faster if the rounds are layed out properly. I can split two rounds or half rounds at a time if so. Basically two touching end to end and each pair spaced out . Second round pushes first round through the wedge. In all the videos I've see on you tube in reference to this type of splitter. Never have I seen a proper lay out of rounds. I thought to myself, that machine could be way faster than what I'm seeing! 👍
The splitter itself has some sack! nothing bogs it or slows it down!
I'm glad to hear it's working out well.

I see tracks in one picture but no tracks in others, do you just enjoy putting em on /taking em off, or am I missing something?

I'm considering getting a skid myself, and just wanting to glean some experience from those who have gone that route before me.

May be this will be a better explanation. Pit the stake in the stake pocket. Then weld a flat bar to the stake that rests on the top of the trailer deck, with a hole for a bolt in it that fastenes to the top of the trailer. That way they can't fall out and it should help to Take a bit of side load off the stake pockets. I was given a pile of 12mm countersunk hex head bolts and I should have enough flat bar or angle iron to make the extra piece to fasten it. That way when I attach my oak marks to the stakes it's all nice and fatened to the trailer and can't flop out if I don't have straps slung across. I'll have to take some pics when I get around to making them.
Now I savvy amigo!
Sounds like a good plan.

I do my whole chicken in my normal webber grill but that one looks perfect for that job
I like the 22” Smokey mountain. I don’t think I would pay the price they want for them now . I bought it a couple years ago at 50% off the old retail of $399 because it was a demo damn things are close to 500 now . Had lots of extras like the rib racks and some other hooks for jerky . It was missing the upper grate . Called Weber they sent me a new of free of charge .

I use it when I don’t want to drag out the big boy that I built 20200525_141536.jpg

Having a grapple bucket is great. I did a lot of reading before buying mine. I needed a multipurpose grapple bucket. I went with a stump grapple bucket. It works great for moving logs, popping small stumps/ roots and rocks out of the ground. You can hold a log up in the air with it to buck it up. It also works great for placing rocks on a stone wall.

Look at it this way. You need to pay for all your equipment, health insurance, SSI, Disability Insurance and most importantly a retirement account. Eight years ago I was charging $65 an hour to do field mowing at a local residence. I thought that was cheap. I didn't have to pay for health insurance and other things like that as I was still working full time. If you finish your day or job feeling that you didn't charge enough, then you already answered your own question. If you have to hire extra help then add in their hourly wage plus extra to cover the cost for your equipment.

it's not the figuring out the expenses that i have trouble with sometimes... it is paying them!!!! 🤩
:lol:

:givebeer:

I like the 22” Smokey mountain. I don’t think I would pay the price they want for them now . I bought it a couple years ago at 50% off the old retail of $399 because it was a demo damn things are close to 500 now . Had lots of extras like the rib racks and some other hooks for jerky . It was missing the upper grate . Called Weber they sent me a new of free of charge .

I use it when I don’t want to drag out the big boy that I built View attachment 1089805
weber grill story was on cable last nite. interesting. i have 3 of them.

who is it on this tread that seems to often say.... Grin and 'bear' it! ?

some things just don't get old, then again... other things do!

zzzzxbr.jpg

I use it when I don’t want to drag out the big boy that I built View attachment 1089805
dinner plans tonite call for some :barbecue:

chicken tenders for the QB and a nice NY Strip for the grillmaster ~ 🤩

thawing as we speak.... 👍

Latest posts

Back