Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another very good vise that I have,

IMG-2113-S.jpg

It's a Reed 105,

IMG-2116-S.jpg

I really like it, and it gets used quite often...

SR
Funny, I still can't see the pictures in your post, but when I reply they show up :badpc:.
I tried reloading the page to, very odd.
Even odder, when I post the reply I can't see it in the quote :oops:.
What kinda pictures you posting there Rob.

Funny, I still can't see the pictures in your post, but when I reply they show up :badpc:.
I tried reloading the page to, very odd.
Even odder, when I post the reply I can't see it in the quote :oops:.
What kinda pictures you posting there Rob.
Secret ones, I can turn them on or off depending on who's looking at them. ha ha ha

SR

Wish I had that set up yesterday ago. Was getting a real nice bed for my 73 250 from a junk yard years ago. Didn't have a trailer at the time, best thing we could think of was get them to flip it upside down and set it on the bed of my brother dully with a few boards cut down in the stake pockets. Worked great till we got home. We didn't think about not having a loader to pick it off. Called all of our buddies up to help. 11 guys in total to lift it off and flip it right side up.
That was when they made real beds. When I bought the 8 foot RAM bed that I put on my truck recently. I was able to walk it off the guys trailer on my crouched back onto the back of my pickup. I had my arms on my knees for bracing. The seller lined up two pockets so I could just lower in down. It was already upside down on another bed sitting on 2 x 3's in the pockets. I used my forks on my tractor with 2 straps to lift it off. I think the whole bed might weigh 300 pounds. That is a far cry from what they used to weight.

Depending on what the implement is you can just adapt it for cat 2. Lots of 3 point stuff can be run behind a cat 1 or 2 hitch with adaptors.

Yoursme 2 Pairs of Cat 1 Quick Hitch Adapter Bushing Kit Fits Category 1 3-Point Hitch Tractors Replace TK95029 https://a.co/d/gghFjhb

Never used this brand but similar works just fine.
The logging winch that I have will fit both Cat 1 and Cat 2 using the pins that came with it.

Glad you were able to reclaim your saw, and get the tree down safely.
Vines can cause some major headaches when dropping trees in tight areas, some can be literal :surprised3:.
Pretty sure that's not a grape vine, looks like the oriental bittersweet we have here.
Sure looks like Bittersweet. I hate that vine.

Let me know the details on the 4' brush hog, I know someone who's looking.
Did you buy one for the big tractor yet, how big are you looking for/did you get.
When do you plan on taking the tree down.
The 4'er is a Land Pride I'll see if I can scare some pictures of it up. It is in really nice shape. I'm not positive I'll sell it yet as I may use it to brush hog in the tighter areas if I can't fit the Kioti in them. But I'm always open to listening or talking about getting rid of it.

I haven't bought one for the Kioti yet. I'm probably going to go to a minimum of a 7' one, as that's what it will take to span the rear tires. I'm not opposed to going even larger, as I've seen plenty of videos of my same tractor pulling 12' and 15' batwings. But those are very cost prohibitive to me, some of them can be 30K! Anything larger than 7' is when you get into dual spindles, and the cost for those goes up exponentially as then you're talking about a minimum of two gear boxes, two PTO shafts etc...So, I'll probably stick with a 7'er unless I can get a really good deal on a nice shape used larger one.

I think I'll take the tree down in about two weeks, as I'm busy all this week, and won't be able to get to it, and I've got friends coming up to use that house for a week at the end of Aug., and I'd like to have it down prior to them getting up here.

Shop 1.jpg

Kubota  11.jpg

Brush Hog 3.jpg

At the moment I'm high bidder on a 6" Rock Island vice on a local internet auction. I'm guessing the thing weighs 50#. Anyone have an idea on what it might be worth?
well, hard to say, no pix. depends a lot on condition. machinist, mechanic or wood?

but from what i have seen on smaller vises no matter the condition if the jaws work, etc... $ 200 and up. most likely a lot higher for size and such

View attachment 1101333
Scrounged up a whole oak tree. 50-60 years and I'll be set for firewood!
i have dozens growing. nuts in the ground. dropped from big oaks at compound by ranch house. pain! wish u could take the entire lil forest. about 3" high... lol

Speaking about vises. I have a 5" Wilton that I scrounged up for $40 a few years ago. My 4 1/2" Craftsman which is my most used vise. Lastly this one that is great for holding round stock or any oddball shaped objects.
my dual Craftsman vises are 4". but lighter duty than your 4 /12". but like any good machinists HD vise bolted to a mill bed, mine are mounted rock solid rigid! bolts to workbench. and workbench bolts to wall studs in shop. they carry the roof and bolt to slab! nothing moves, unless i turn the handle on the vise! 🤩 :lol:

they are red like ur fist pix. one says in block letters one side: CRAFTSMAN other side: No 391-1588
the other vise bought at same time... looks identical but is not!

Back