Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm heading out to do a bit of cutting, today's giants to slay will be; catalpa, maple(hard/sugar), and mulberry. Figured since it will most likely be me myself and I out there today that I should have a recovery saw(one to run after I'm to tired to hold anything else), so I threw a chain on the ms200 rear handle. Probably throw this one on Craigslist later, used chain, but still a little life in it, cut great the last time I had it out 😆.
20230801_081051.jpg
When I was downstairs changing out the chain, I realized I had another vice I forgot about. It's been busy for quite some time holding one of my square grinders lol.
Not sure about the brand name, looks real similar to those craftsmanship, like my dad's got, for all I know, that's where I got it, I can't remember :oops:. Also, who the heck made that mess on my bench :innocent::lol:.
20230801_080356.jpg

Well I'm heading out to do a bit of cutting, today's giants to slay will be; catalpa, maple(hard/sugar), and mulberry. Figured since it will most likely be me myself and I out there today that I should have a recovery saw(one to run after I'm to tired to hold anything else), so I threw a chain on the ms200 rear handle. Probably throw this one on Craigslist later, used chain, but still a little life in it, cut great the last time I had it out 😆.
View attachment 1101431
When I was downstairs changing out the chain, I realized I had another vice I forgot about. It's been busy for quite some time holding one of my square grinders lol.
Not sure about the brand name, looks real similar to those craftsmanship, like my dad's got, for all I know, that's where I got it, I can't remember :oops:. Also, who the heck made that mess on my bench :innocent::lol:.
View attachment 1101430
How’s ur newby doing , square cutter , Lol 👍

How’s ur newby doing , square cutter , Lol 👍
It's resting by the front door lol.
Hope to put it in the barn this fall sometime.
20230801_084349.jpg
New files to go into my truck sharpening kit, the other pair goes to the basement for now, also to be put in the barn in the near future(don't think I'll use 24 plus what's already in the truck by then).
20230801_084424.jpg

It's resting by the front door lol.
Hope to put it in the barn this fall sometime.
View attachment 1101432
New files to go into my truck sharpening kit, the other pair goes to the basement for now, also to be put in the barn in the near future(don't think I'll use 24 plus what's already in the truck by then).
View attachment 1101433
How’s the barn coming along , ?

How’s the barn coming along , ?
Got concrete a couple weeks ago, and I have 4 windows, one installed and 3 openings that I need to frame in yet. The first one takes the most time, as I'm sure you know.
I need to snag a 36" left swing man door, and scab nailers around all three bay doors, then I'm ready to order the metal for trimming the doors and windows. Once the metal is ordered I also need to get some hard insulation to put between the gurts, then i canorser my siding.

That was the FASH shutdown and I was caught in the middle of it which is a long story but not for here. The Cat V12 was a railroad engine, heavy and expensive to work on (like all Cats were /are) Never seen one with a Roots style blower, plenty with single and twin turbochargers however.
Wish I had of taken pics. I was into drag racing and had a little 112” wheel base front engine dragster with a Dodge 340 on it. Best time was low 9’s at 168 mph. Always wanted to put a 392 Hemi on it. Didn’t want a blower, wanted an 8 Stromberg log on it. Anyway, when Rick showed me the engine, and I saw those blowers sitting there, I was amazed. It never dawned on me how they would be driven? Front blower had a big McPherson belt. The rear blower had a short prop shaft coming out of the rear of the front blower, into the front of the rear blower. Both blowers had GMC 8-71 on them. We were told that the 71 on a blower was the optimum cubic inch per cylinder. We always joked that’s why the 6-71’s were so good on the 426 Hemi’s. 6X71 is exactly 426. With that math, two 8-71’s would put the Cat 12 over 1100 cubic inches?

Hi guys.

Fun weekend with the kids. Boundary waters trip with a couple of day excursions from the campsite. Amongst other things, visited the oldest tree in Minnesota. ~1100 year old white cedar on Basswood lake.

Our recently refurbed boats and motors performed almost flawlessly. Needed one quick repair on the Lund’s motor due to a faulty hose connection behind the disconnect.

017DD943-B2AE-46A3-9BB7-C94128C097C2.jpeg

7D9AA103-3300-4342-BD91-82BBA98B28E2.jpeg
D92561CF-EAD3-4429-B4A5-9F1BEAB10677.jpeg
(Above) The former Four Mile portage. Closed due to tree huggers and govt bureaucracy.
FDB76DC4-885D-422D-8E2B-B7E9C657B921.jpeg

Steam engine used during the logging days to pull logs out of the lake.
31CD2E88-6DCF-476C-B79A-12B534A6C05F.jpeg

Basswood portage keepers quarters.
2C0387FE-72BE-460B-86E7-12E7CB033E6C.jpeg

0BC4D134-F7C2-44DA-87AE-F453CD7B0E2E.jpeg
7AEB7E49-5EC6-45F3-95A5-A3F85A94EEE3.jpeg62ACFB9C-196A-4DE4-A04A-368CA7F0BA97.jpeg3428B01C-B991-459E-A834-9FF9B19DACC9.jpeg

Hi guys.

Fun weekend with the kids. Boundary waters trip with a couple of day excursions from the campsite. Amongst other things, visited the oldest tree in Minnesota. ~1100 year old white cedar on Basswood lake.

Our recently refurbed boats and motors performed almost flawlessly. Needed one quick repair on the Lund’s motor due to a faulty hose connection behind the disconnect.

View attachment 1101446

View attachment 1101447
View attachment 1101449
(Above) The former Four Mile portage. Closed due to tree huggers and govt bureaucracy.
View attachment 1101450

Steam engine used during the logging days to pull logs out of the lake.
View attachment 1101451

Basswood portage keepers quarters.
View attachment 1101452

View attachment 1101453
View attachment 1101454View attachment 1101455View attachment 1101456
Nice 👍

Wish I had of taken pics. I was into drag racing and had a little 112” wheel base front engine dragster with a Dodge 340 on it. Best time was low 9’s at 168 mph. Always wanted to put a 392 Hemi on it. Didn’t want a blower, wanted an 8 Stromberg log on it. Anyway, when Rick showed me the engine, and I saw those blowers sitting there, I was amazed. It never dawned on me how they would be driven? Front blower had a big McPherson belt. The rear blower had a short prop shaft coming out of the rear of the front blower, into the front of the rear blower. Both blowers had GMC 8-71 on them. We were told that the 71 on a blower was the optimum cubic inch per cylinder. We always joked that’s why the 6-71’s were so good on the 426 Hemi’s. 6X71 is exactly 426. With that math, two 8-71’s would put the Cat 12 over 1100 cubic inches?
well, maybe one or two of your lil digger ~ ?
:drinkingcoffee:

Chipper, the two cameras with cell service are Spypoint, but I do not highly recommend them, they work well sporadically. They will seem to get every animal for a week, then not get a PU truck that went in and out, not even when you read the card. And sometimes reading the card gives you pictures that did not get sent???

That said, it is entertaining to see things now and then. Seems to be a lot of animal activity this year. (Then there will be several days with nothing, and you say to yourself WTF!) If I did not know for a fact that a PU truck went in and out w/o any pictures, I would trust the cameras more.

We ordered the Buck pic in high def, shows it a bit better!

Attachments

• BuckHiDef07-31-2023.jpg
    BuckHiDef07-31-2023.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 0
Cat made a lot of v12 engines over the years, so it's difficult to decern what could have been in your friends truck. Also your blower calculations aren't nessisarrily correct. The 2 stroke Detroit series of engines relied in the blowers just to run, being a uniflow design, they don't use the crankcase like a loop scavenged 2 steoke to force air into the cylinder. Basically they had no way to get air into the cylinder without a positive displacement blower. Knowing this, Detroit did indeed size the blowers accordingly, but depending on the hp level, turbos were often added for higher airflow. On the larger v series engine it's was common for twin blower and turbo applications. Those same 6-71 engines would break the little drive shaft going to the blower and wouldn't start. Was a fairly common issue back in the day. Most the old diesel grunts I know kept a few on hand in the shop and on their service trucks.
On since a 4 stroke diesel doesn't need the blower (assuming maturally aspirated design) the blower was used just the same as a turbo, more air= more fuel to add= more power. Diesels require substantially more air to burn efficiently then gas engines and typically can run much higher boost levels. Realistically it could have been a 500 cubic inch engine and still been able to take advantage of twin blowers, and have more power and better efficiency.
I would be very curious to know what specific engine your buddy had in his truck.
Edit, thinking about it, my best guess would be a 3412, 27L engine. Had a pretty narrow V design, I believe they would fit, never seen a blower model, they were all single or twin turbo.

Cat made a lot of v12 engines over the years, so it's difficult to decern what could have been in your friends truck. Also your blower calculations aren't nessisarrily correct. The 2 stroke Detroit series of engines relied in the blowers just to run, being a uniflow design, they don't use the crankcase like a loop scavenged 2 steoke to force air into the cylinder. Basically they had no way to get air into the cylinder without a positive displacement blower. Knowing this, Detroit did indeed size the blowers accordingly, but depending on the hp level, turbos were often added for higher airflow. On the larger v series engine it's was common for twin blower and turbo applications. Those same 6-71 engines would break the little drive shaft going to the blower and wouldn't start. Was a fairly common issue back in the day. Most the old diesel grunts I know kept a few on hand in the shop and on their service trucks.
On since a 4 stroke diesel doesn't need the blower (assuming maturally aspirated design) the blower was used just the same as a turbo, more air= more fuel to add= more power. Diesels require substantially more air to burn efficiently then gas engines and typically can run much higher boost levels. Realistically it could have been a 500 cubic inch engine and still been able to take advantage of twin blowers, and have more power and better efficiency.
I would be very curious to know what specific engine your buddy had in his truck.
Edit, thinking about it, my best guess would be a 3412, 27L engine. Had a pretty narrow V design, I believe they would fit, never seen a blower model, they were all single or twin turbo.
12-71's were the backbone of our fleet when I broke into the ferry boat business. Our oldest and smallest boat is still running a pair of them, I'll try and remember to grab a picture of the old girls tomorrow morning.

12-71's were the backbone of our fleet when I broke into the ferry boat business. Our oldest and smallest boat is still running a pair of them, I'll try and remember to grab a picture of the old girls tomorrow morning.
That's a rare bird in v12 format. Should have been 2 v6 bolted together. Very versatile engines. Last few I messed with were out of 60 metric ton haul trucks. 12v92 engines. Only ever messed with one 16v149 series and the engine ended up being scrapped, unfortunately and was replaced with a mtu.

That's a rare bird in v12 format. Should have been 2 v6 bolted together. Very versatile engines. Last few I messed with were out of 60 metric ton haul trucks. 12v92 engines. Only ever messed with one 16v149 series and the engine ended up being scrapped, unfortunately and was replaced with a mtu.
Not sure there was ever a 12V71 that was two 6V's bolted together. I rebuilt many 12V-71 over the years and all were one piece blocks and cranks. Now the 16V-71 they were basically two 8V-71s bolted front to front with two sets of timing gears running the four camshafts and all the ones I worked on had two piece cranks bolted together. The 12Vs had two V6 blowers and the 16V had two 8-71 blowers. Some had turbos blowing into the blowers

Not sure there was ever a 12V71 that was two 6V's bolted together. I rebuilt many 12V-71 over the years and all were one piece blocks and cranks. Now the 16V-71 they were basically two 8V-71s bolted front to front with two sets of timing gears running the four camshafts and all the ones I worked on had two piece cranks bolted together. The 12Vs had two V6 blowers and the 16V had two 8-71 blowers. Some had turbos blowing into the blowers
Thinking about it, I think you're right. The v12s had a single head,(?) the v16 ran 4 heads. Admittedly I didn't work on any 71 series larger then the 6cyl. They weren't used in quarries or coal mines around here. Just seen truck and crane applications.

Back