Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my jobs today, was sorting through some logs I have looking for a low-grade log to make some 2x4's out of, once I found one, I set it on my BSM,

Resized-20230816-125112-S.jpg

Low grade logs are great for turning into construction lumber, but that's a job for another day!

SR

Wound up with a free saw a few days ago. An older gentleman I know gave me his 066 for free after his employee smoked the topend, straight gas and a backwards chain did it in. Will need a topend, a DP muffler and a new rim.

View attachment 1105324View attachment 1105325
Often you can clean up the cylinder (see Randy's video) and use a Meteor piston to save a bunch of $ and still have OEM reliability.

We installed 2 new Moultrie Cameras up on the property over the WE and I was kindof getting upset they had not sent anything back, then this guy appeared. These pictures are much clearer than the ones from our previous cameras (it is higher end).

Looks like I may have opportunity to take advantage of that early antlerless Bear season!!! :)

Attachments

• Bear08-17-2023-1of2.jpg
    Bear08-17-2023-1of2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bear08-17-2023-2of2.jpg
    Bear08-17-2023-2of2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
We installed 2 new Moultrie Cameras up on the property over the WE and I was kindof getting upset they had not sent anything back, then this guy appeared. These pictures are much clearer than the ones from our previous cameras (it is higher end).

Looks like I may have opportunity to take advantage of that early antlerless Bear season!!! :)
Definitely antlerless ha ha

Pretty thick looking coat already too.

If you need any help I'd like to get one with my 18th century style .54 flintlock. 😉

Heat dome breaking down today. 103 yesterday. Had 99 at 4:15pm. Neighbor said it hit 102. Today supposed to be under 99. 3 days puttering around the house and wood pile was enough Just back from 3 hours in the willow patch again. Cleaned up the remains of the top of a down tree I harvested and then worked on teh back remains of the bottom of the tree. MS441cm got a workout cutting up the reaming 5' of log with a 28" bar.

The new Dewalt electric (60V, 18" bar) is earning its keep. Not as fast as a gas saw but not much slower. I still have trouble remembering to put oil in the tank. Tank was dry when I started this morning. Also to bring the battery in for charge when I get home

Shopping tomorrow and the MS441CM will go with for a quick tune up. He was always an easy start (1 pull warm) but today it was up to 6 pulls even if I had just shut it down and picked back up. All these years and I have never successfully screwed around with the carb on chainsaw.

If you need any help I'd like to get one with my 18th century style .54 flintlock. 😉
If you're looking to come up for bear, I'd be happy to have you help us thin the heard. My main interest is deer hunting and with all the darn bears we are not seeing many deer. I have been somewhat surprised that both the deer and bear (in daylight hours) are just as likely to show up in the middle of the day as in early morning or late evening.

I think my nephew is also trying to plan something with a couple of his friends, so let me know your availability in advance. There is usually no one on the mountain on weekdays.

I would of course want to join you to give you the lay of the land, and the app "on X hunt" is very useful in reflecting the various properties (including NYC-DEP - Sands Creek) is on the same mountain. I also have permission to hunt from several of my neighboring landowners.

Latest posts

Back