Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had a few mins today to get started on the next truck for my grandson,

Resized-20230817-143436-S.jpg

That's a chunk of light-colored walnut I'm sawing it out of.

SR

JimR

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
As one pile goes down the other one gets bigger. Time to sell some wood. I was splitting wood today for a bit. I could barely see my splitter from the front end. You can see the freshly split wood in my split pile.

Attachments

• 20230817_172711.jpg
    20230817_172711.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230817_172729.jpg
    20230817_172729.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
MustangMike
View attachment 1105529

Afternoon fellas. I'm on the hunt for a new scope for my .22. Looking at either a 2.5-7x Weaver Classic or a 2-7x Vortex Crossfire. Any thoughts?

Can't comment on the Weaver, but I have 4 Crossfire scopes on my firearms and I'm very happy with them (other than the fact that you often can't hear the adjustment clicks). Two of them have the 40 mm objective Lense, and 2 have the 50 mm (for more brightness). Two are on centerfire rifles, one is on my 870 rifled slug barrel, and one is on my Muzzleloader.

I have put several of my old scopes from the centerfire rifles on 22s and they all work just fine.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
If you're looking to come up for bear, I'd be happy to have you help us thin the heard. My main interest is deer hunting and with all the darn bears we are not seeing many deer. I have been somewhat surprised that both the deer and bear (in daylight hours) are just as likely to show up in the middle of the day as in early morning or late evening.

I think my nephew is also trying to plan something with a couple of his friends, so let me know your availability in advance. There is usually no one on the mountain on weekdays.

I would of course want to join you to give you the lay of the land, and the app "on X hunt" is very useful in reflecting the various properties (including NYC-DEP - Sands Creek) is on the same mountain. I also have permission to hunt from several of my neighboring landowners.
Weekdays can work... Allegedly I can make my own schedule... though it often doesn't seem that way. 😉 I'm traveling the next few days but will circle back soon. Thanks!

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
View attachment 1105529

Afternoon fellas. I'm on the hunt for a new scope for my .22. Looking at either a 2.5-7x Weaver Classic or a 2-7x Vortex Crossfire. Any thoughts?
I have a Leupold variable rimfire scope on my squirrel rifle. Nice scope... a bit more expensive than others perhaps but over the past 50+ years I've not had a Leupold (or Zeiss) scope fail. I cannot say the same for the others I've had... For example, every one of my 4X, 6X and variable Weavers failed... fogging, adjustment problems, and in one case the insides broke free of the tube under recoil. That said, I don't know how the newest incarnation of Weavers are... not the same company or products, just the name.

Lionsfan

Lionsfan

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have a Leupold variable rimfire scope on my squirrel rifle. Nice scope... a bit more expensive than others perhaps but over the past 50+ years I've not had a Leupold (or Zeiss) scope fail. I cannot say the same for the others I've had... For example, every one of my 4X, 6X and variable Weavers failed... fogging, adjustment problems, and in one case the insides broke free of the tube under recoil. That said, I don't know how the newest incarnation of Weavers are... not the same company or products, just the name.
Everybody likes Leupold , but I can't justify $300 for a scope to dispatch blackbirds and gophers. Really looks like I'm going with the Vortex.

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Everybody likes Leupold , but I can't justify $300 for a scope to dispatch blackbirds and gophers. Really looks like I'm going with the Vortex.
I look at the long run... I've got some German Zeiss I bought when I was a bachelor with a good job in the mid-80s. A 4X scope, for example, was about $200 back then... 3+ times what a Weaver cost at the time. Now, nearly 40 years later those scopes have proven to be a bargain! They have high quality optics and mechanicals that still perform well... the 25 year warranties have run out though. 😉 On the other hand, I can recall 4 weaver scopes that I threw away years ago because they failed.... a variable .22 scope, a V700 variable, a 4X and a 6X. Don't discount good fixed power scopes for hunting... I shot a lot of woodchucks at 100-300+ yards with a 10X Zeiss and the vast majority of my whitetails with 4X Zeiss scopes... They are for aiming, not sight seeing!

Trailsawyer

Trailsawyer

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
The Vortex is a good scope for the $$ - it will work just fine.
I have a couple of "older" 22's that still have "vintage" Weaver 2.5x and 4x scopes on them.... they still work... but the guns I regularly use all have newer optics. As your eyes get older the targets seem to get smaller.....
My current favorite Ruger 77-22 is now wearing a Leupold 6.5 x 20.... because one of me friends gave me a 50 yard benchrest target!

I have so many people offer me wood they want hauled away; some of my friends I help out, but if I don't know you, most times you're paying. Am I doing it wrong lol.
If I had more room here I could take more of the easy gimmies, but it piles up quickly once you get a bit ahead. It's like a law of attraction or something, man with piles of wood on his property draws people to ask if you want more wood, works for me :clap:.
Yeah once you become the guy you need to be choosy.

For a while I was the chainsaw guy and I am now the cast iron guy.

singinwoodwackr
View attachment 1105529

I have an old 4x off my 700 rem 222 in a box somewhere...would that work?