Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have any of yawl heard of the chopper one axe? Seen an ad on the CL for it found their website. I imagine that if I found a slightly used one for sale it can't be of much use. Here's the URL: https://www.chopper1axe.com/index.php

The only gadget axe I am interested in is the leveraxe, but he wants like 300 clams for one..just too much for me to shell out at this time just to see if I like one and would use it a lot.

For 40 or 50 bucks, fiskars is a lot of splitting with the least amount of effort. I bought a higher end model and am disappointed in it as it ships stock. Looks to take a lot of grinding to reshape it so it works. Nuts. Shouldn't have to.

Note: I do not believe or claim one splitting tool is the best for all jobs, but if you get into clean straight nice wood, you can fly with a fiskars, being they are so light and effective. Gnarly nasty stuff I use maul sledge and wedge or noodle. Good to medium stuff, fiskars all the way.

Bailey's has a video, fiskars versus a buncha different axes, on a machine with finished lumber so it eliminates any human variance or perception.

OK, fiskars factory teflon coating eventually wears off..what to do? You can keep it sharp if you keep it outta the dirt, but the coating helps a bunch as well. I have tried a buncha sprays, this so far works the best for me, home despot, few bucks a can

http://www.blastergroup.com.au/dry-teflon-lube.html

Works on all your splitting and chopping tools. Sharpen first, then lube it. Dries fast. Once it wears off, time for an edge touch up anyway.

I'm hooked on the stuff, just did some windows today with it, all this rain and humidity has made then sticky. Back to easy peasey opening and closing, GF actually gave me a big fat smooch for doing that! She could barely open and close them anymore (no AC here, just window fans, windows closed if rain blowing in, etc) hahaha cheap thrills!

I have a sticky window in the chebby I'm gonna do next, when I pull the panel off for access. Dang stuff lubes really really well.

Just a heads up for you guys, pb blaster is okay, but if you want the teflon to stay on longer, then pony up and buy the DuPont teflon spray. You can get it at amazon. I've tried both and the DuPont last at least twice as long and lubes everything . So far I've used it on my axe, chainsaw bar (recommended on the can) to help keep it looking clean-lasting longer-plus making it easier to get unstuck when pinched. I also pressure washed the bottom of my mower deck and blades, let dry, then teflon sprayed those and the results are awesome. Minimal stuck grass and dirt. Plus I've used it on treadmill, squeaky hinges and man does that stuff work. Again, it does cost more but I think the ratings on amazon and my testimony should sway you in the right way. I've still got more than 1/2 can left and I've used it very liberally especially on the big mower deck. It stays with my Fiskars now. I'm thinking of taping it to the handle. Haha! But really, it is a better product IMO from trying both. I used to swear by blaster but not anymore.

I have seen two of those Chopper type mauls in the past.
Both were missing one of their toggles....
Seems that is a major weekness.

David

Woodeneye, Thanks for the recommendation, but as I did some research I came up with a product LP Liquid Chain Lube. Have not tried it yet, but the reviews seem very good. I ordered some and will let you know what I think when I get to use it. Anyone interested can check it out.

I am set up with the equipment to move big logs I tell the tree cutters to leave the logs 12 ft long that way I get more than I can handle. I have went and got logs that come to my shoulder and I am 6 ft tall. But I am firewood year round thats all I do. I have a 550 for roll back 250 a 350 all words fork lift tractor three splitter 20 20 30 ton I sell as much firewood in the summer as I do in the winter. Look for free wood in the summer time because 99 percent of firewood people mow grass in the summer time. I have even had people pay me to clean up a mess somebody deserves paid to do it. If your honest you get all the wood you want and then some. The forestry called me to cut up down trees. They'll even drag them out. I had to turn them down we talking about 12 country the whole end of the state. The people that were doing it was cutting high grad logs and selling the they lost the deal. Thats life in this country if it ain't free steal it

I am set up with the equipment to move big logs I tell the tree cutters to leave the logs 12 ft long that way I get more than I can handle. I have went and got logs that come to my shoulder and I am 6 ft tall. But I am firewood year round thats all I do. I have a 550 for roll back 250 a 350 all words fork lift tractor three splitter 20 20 30 ton I sell as much firewood in the summer as I do in the winter. Look for free wood in the summer time because 99 percent of firewood people mow grass in the summer time. I have even had people pay me to clean up a mess somebody deserves paid to do it. If your honest you get all the wood you want and then some. The forestry called me to cut up down trees. They'll even drag them out. I had to turn them down we talking about 12 country the whole end of the state. The people that were doing it was cutting high grad logs and selling the they lost the deal. Thats life in this country if it ain't free steal it

I sure would like to, just not much of a market around here. Last winter for about a month was an aberration, firewood that was dry got bought out, but usually...150 tops and ain't no one moving a lot of it.

Ya, you can get a lot, just off this property I think I could cut a cord a day and never run out, just selling it is the problem. Craigslist in the winter has dozens of guys lowballing wood, oak and hickory. I imagine they sell some, but not much, because there is, like you said, so much free wood out there. People who burn for primary heat either cut their own or from the friends place or some neighbor who had a tree took down or something like that. heck the free wood ads are sometimes pretty good around here, although I don't bother going to do any, have all I can handle here, splitting and moving by hand. I would hate the make the investment in thousands of dollars in heavy equipment and maybe sell one thousand a winter worth of wood.....

I let about two cords of decent wood go this past winter in pickup loads (they haul), people stopping and asking, because it was the coldest in two decades around here. Think I made around 80 bucks and two busted chainsaws for that. Nuts, that wood was worth more to me for my own use. So now, back to stacking for myself. People just won't pay for good dry wood, they will buy cut this summer split in the fall sold in the winter wood for cheaper, stuff that is still half green/wet (that's what I see as "loads" being driven around in the fall and winter, obvious green wood) they aren't interested in good dry fire wood, just cheap fire wood.

Economy is too crappy around here, and too much free wood available. I even tried this summer bagged up hickory cooking wood, cut up splits with my chop saw into chunks, nuts, did two bags all year so far. Ain't worth it.

So, good for you to make a good living at it, wish I could..different areas have different markets.

Around here they get over $200/cord, mostly because no one wants to have it until they need it. Most people don't have the space to store what they need for one year, much less for more than a year, and they want their yard "empty" in the summer.

And they got the "50 mile" transport rule here, like it helps. I killed an Emerald Ash Bore last week, and spotted another today when I was cutting my grass (it took off). They can't seem to stop it, Ash trees are disappearing fast. I'm also upset that Norway Maple (a NYC import) seems to be chocking out most of the Hard Maple around here. IMO, Hard Maple provides the most beautiful fall colors, but is something that may vanish soon.

Where I live the only way to get rid of firewood is deliver it put in in there stove and light it free. I have to sell my wood about 45 miles away. I cleared a lot for a friend I haul for 4 days got sick left the last load there for free its been there for a year

Up here we only have a ban on firewood transported from another state across our border. I would imagine that will all change once the ash borer is found to be in Maine. Since it hasn't been an issue up here, I hadn't thought much about it before, until recently. The __mile radius laws, for transporting firewood within a given state, certainly must cause extra problems for scroungers, as if it wasn't already difficult enough. Firewood dealers will either need to get certified, or limit their sales to the distances the state sets up. Just another good reason to scrounge everything thing you can when it becomes available. If you don't have enough room to store the wood, I would try to a find a family member, or a friend, who has the room and work out some kind of deal with them. You can never have too much firewood IMO.

Well, we had to cut off one of the main trunks of one of our two big cottonwood trees yesterday. My Husky ran like the the glorious machine that it is. I felled it, dragged it off the gravel road and down toward our garden. Split it with the x27 and now have a stack of low btu wood. Oh well. Pics when I get back.

There's apparently a firewood shortage brewing here. I'm OK & fortunate, living in the woods and all, but some are going to get caught short. Our trees have been chipped & exported for years, that might just be starting to hit home.

Funny you mention that , spent a bit of time last week on the phone , not much luck trying to find 32+ cords .
I did find some inventory of hardwood at one of the mills but the cost plus trucking is going to put the price around 150$ to 165$ with trucking :(
I'm waiting for some others to call me back .

My neighbor just informed me that he has 3 massive maples that blew down in a windstorm and one was struck by lightning. He wants a little bit of wood for his fireplace but the rest I can have. Does anyone know what subspecies of large maples are native to places in Northwest Missouri. They're by a creek, and it seems we have plenty down there. It's amazing what info people will give out when they find out you have a couple or three working chainsaws.

I didn't know anything about it until you messaged last week, then I heard it on the news the next day.

There was a huge hardwood clearcut done here last year, right behind our place. Don't know exactly how big but likely in the 3 figures of acres. They were going 24/7 for three months, it all left in chips. They were back at it just a couple weeks ago, chipping what they got snowed out on in the fall. Went through it this winter on the sled, no tops or nothing - just the odd cradle hill stump poking through the snow. Looked like a big field. Pretty sad, knowing what it looked like the winter before - almost all hard maple.

Clear cutting and chipping Hard Maple, how sad. I'm glad that is not the way they do it where my property is. Nothing under 12" harvested, no clear cutting, but no great big trees either. But at least the woods stays the woods.

The only thing that devastated part of my property like that was the Tornado.

Back