Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up here we only have a ban on firewood transported from another state across our border. I would imagine that will all change once the ash borer is found to be in Maine. Since it hasn't been an issue up here, I hadn't thought much about it before, until recently. The __mile radius laws, for transporting firewood within a given state, certainly must cause extra problems for scroungers, as if it wasn't already difficult enough. Firewood dealers will either need to get certified, or limit their sales to the distances the state sets up. Just another good reason to scrounge everything thing you can when it becomes available. If you don't have enough room to store the wood, I would try to a find a family member, or a friend, who has the room and work out some kind of deal with them. You can never have too much firewood IMO.

They have the purple dangling beetle traps one town away from Lebanon. EAB isn't here in a big way yet, but there was a location in Concord. And all you need is one rogue load traveling east on route 9 through Dover and over the bridge...

Well got my last load out today. There is a little more but there has too much new growth jaggers and poison ivy that are hiding the insane amount of huge rocks these tops are mixed in with. Two days of cutting and two lightly rocked chains. Looks like me and the grinder are going to have some quality time the next few days. So I am done for awhile and completely done with the last scrounging score that lasted me a good two months of cutting and most likely enough wood for a year. I will be nice not to have poison ivy for awhile I have already done 4 rounds of it this year.

The last load was a small one but the heat, rocks and distance to the vehicle limited what I could get at. Plus I worked for an hour or so and drank over a gallon of water. Too hot for me. I have a huge pile of rounds now that need split and stacked off the ground. Anyone down for a splitting party? I have a 24' x 20'x 5 1/2' pile of rounds.

gebu7y4e.jpg

u7a6uve2.jpg

A guy I never saw before stopped in front of my house today, on the way to the brush collection site, to adjust the brush in his trailer. I was trimming hedges.

"Whatcha got?", I asked.

"Maple", he replied. "Want any?"

I picked out about 3, 6 - 8 inch logs. We have had some storms around here, so he asked, "Got any you need to go there?" I didn't, but I had helped a neighbor stack a small pile of brush in the alley. He drove around and we loaded that up.

Not a 'you ____' deal, but hard to beat home delivery and pickup from someone I did not know!

Philbert

I'd love to come by and get my exercise but I know longer live in Ohio so I'm not even close to near you... Happy splitting and sweating!
Yea that would be one heck of a road trip. I guess I will have to put my wonderful wife to work. She is a great lever operator on the hydraulic splitter

Took down the second leg of that Chestnut Oak today, the saws ran well, and made short work of it. The 044 on the stump is wearing a 24" bar. The owner helped move the wood with his lawn tractor, but he has a fear of chainsaws, so I did all the cutting.

Attachments

• June202014 015.jpg
    June202014 015.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 107
  • June202014 016.jpg
    June202014 016.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 120
  • June202014 019.jpg
    June202014 019.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 93
They have the purple dangling beetle traps one town away from Lebanon. EAB isn't here in a big way yet, but there was a location in Concord. And all you need is one rogue load traveling east on route 9 through Dover and over the bridge...

I am a little south of concord. Funny how after my 1st scrounge of ash that my biggest ash tree about 12" started dying the next year. The smaller one 5 ft away is still doing well. For now.

Cut and split 4 dying aspen totaling about a cord. As I dropped them on my lawn it was a total cleanup operation, fortunately the brush pile is close by. All of the trees had some core rot but it's all fire pit wood so no big deal.

Another fine day up here with temps in the 70* range so I went for a little drive just before lunch .
I stopped at one scrounging hole today and picked up a small load of small stuff , nothing great but I gave this load away with 2 full banana boxes of my premium hand split kindling .

IMG_20140622_140831.jpg

Then I took a drive over to Scrounger's Gym to see what I could find .
More dead spruce :)

IMG_20140622_155909.jpg

Have I mentioned the fact that I love being out there ?
I cut and hauled out some of them free btu's .

IMG_20140622_163304.jpg

I must be getting soft because I loaded that stuff round , drug it home and split it with the SS .
The heart is still white and solid , plenty of btu's :)

IMG_20140622_190148.jpg

Scrounge on gentleman !

Getting tired of looking at my woodpile 3/4 complete. Planning to take Friday off and head up to my hunting cabin to retrieve the wood I cut memorial weekend and round out the load (truck and trailer takes about 1.2 cord) with some birch. Also owe a buddy a cord and a quarter but I can cut aspen or basswood for that as he just needs fire pit wood.

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
I ONLY DONE BUNDLED FIREWOOD SO I HAD A LOT OF SCRAP SO MY WIFE SAID SOME PEOPLE MIGHT NEED IT SO SHE ADVERTISED FREE WOOD PEOPLE WOULD TAKE IT IF WE DELIVERED IT. SO NOW WE SELL OUR WASTE
SO FREE WOOD DON'T ALWAYS WORK. JUST HAD A BIG STORM GO THRU SO I AM GOING TO TAKE THE REST OF THE DAY OFF. LATER

Back