Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished with the oak tree i was cutting a couple weeks back. I might have cut into the wedges a bit LOL. but they were like 5 bucks and i can still use them.
Really liking the ms440 so far since i got it running. I bought it as a parts saw and it needed a lot of work. pulled a 32" bar skip chain right through that oak. My friend wanted a slab for a table. But the 28 with skip and it runs real good.
Thats the parents new cottage going in cant wait till its done. I made them get a wood stove....they wanted propane haha :D
20140621_1713561_zps0f2a7b9a.jpg

http://s256.photobucket.com/user/mach1kevin/media/20140621_1711522_zps6c32b8cd.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Gear is all loaded. Heading to my hunting cabin in the morning with hopes to get two loads (1.25 cord each) home before the rain moves in for the next three days. I've got about a cord bucked and ready to load. Four 6-10" trees to drop along my access trail and then my choice of standing dying birch to round out the first load of heating wood and blowdown aspen for the fire pit load. Curtains are open so I'll be up with the sun.

I went yesterday to help a friend cut up and load an oak log that was about 30 feet long and 2o" around. We filled his truck and my little trailer. Thank the Lord the home owner let us use his tractor with a front bucket to load up. ;)

Once I get this haul completed, my next phase is to cut the remaining logs I have from last year...get everything cut into rounds. Then I can spend evenings splitting/stacking. I'm not in too bad of shape...what you can see in the background of that picture is an eight by eight by five high mound of ToH and pine from last year (finally got it off the ground). There is also a little poplar, pine, and ToH from last year to the left and partially under the fresh pine. What you can't see is the shell of a shed that has about four cords of mixed firewood in it that was cut/split/stacked last summer. I think I have enough for another winter from the Arctic.

As far as the ToH, there was a lot of "mixed" feelings regarding its value. Most said it was a waste of time, junk, garbage, etc.. Now keep in mind all my stuff was bigger (smallest was about four inches ranging up to about 24 inches), and it was free for the hauling (already cut into rounds); but the stuff burns every bit as good as poplar/pine/maple. Kept my house warm, that's all I can ask...its not oak, but it was FREE.

On a side note, I went cutting last night, and I had to stop for a CL find. The guy's got a firewood processor, skid steer, pile of logs, huge pile of processed stuff, and a log truck sitting there...almost thought about asking if he sold the logs, but he's about 30 miles from me and probably not economical for him to deliver. But they do exist!

Did a little project today, sorry no pics. Dropped 4 trees and cut them up just enough so they don't look obvious in the woods. All 4 had to be tied and pulled as they were close to a pool, and it was a little windy out.

The smallest one, a 10" Maple got hung up and was the biggest pain in the neck. The two White Oaks (about 18" ea) and the Tulip (just over 20") all went through the other trees / branches and came down clean.

Used the 044 with the 20" bar for all of it, she ran very nice, even the land owner made a comment about how fast it cut!

Ill get some pics tomorrow of the wood we cut today. Was about 28inches or so at the Base. It is basswood and hes dropping like three of them. Its easy cutting and he wants them gone. So I cut and take. I know its not the best wood and its fairly light but um sure ill get some heat from it. Probable almost two cords so far. Im happy to hrlp the neighbor anyway. But the wood is a bonus.

Got another load today...those are all big rounds on end, I rolled them up in and then stacked them on end. I would not even begin to guess the weight, the Timbrens worked very well. One more load should finish it off tomorrow (six total loads).

Oh, you can tell you got a little weight in there.....

In our town the city operates four "wood chipping" sites. These sites are where homeowners take their trees after cutting them out of their yards etc......90% of the wood is Elm, it was the most popular tree planted in our town for 50 years or so. If you are lucky, you will find wood that is ready to stack-they have already cut it in manageable chunks etc....Often there are large numbers of limbs in the 6-10" range. I love those- EASY wood, just zip, zip, zip and throw it in the truck, no need to even split most of it.

There are always a large number of HUGE pieces- stuff that is 3-4' in diameter. That stuff stays around a long time as most people don't have the equipment to break it down. The small stuff, there is quite a bit of competition for. Lots of homeowners with Wallyworld saws filling the trunks of their cars....But, if you time it right you can get all the good firewood you want for free. It's nice because if you are cutting large limbs into chunks you can just leave the small limb trimmings, bark, sawdust right there as the city maintains the sites so it's pretty easy cutting.....

The closest site is less than two miles from my house. In the spring-prime yard cleanup time, I generally check the site while I'm out running around doing errands etc....If I see some good limbs I'll run home and grab a saw and fill the truck bed. You do that a couple of times and pretty soon you have a pretty good supply of free wood with only a little effort.

Back