Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes some things really easy. But it’s all I have, so I’m also used to doing things with it that it’s not the right tool for. It’s too big for some jobs, but I do the best I can anyway. It’s not an excavator, but a bigger hole will still get the job done (just more to fill back in). It’ll dig in rocky ground, but it’s meticulous (little by little). It would be nice if I could instantly get rid of the teeth. It won’t hardly dig without them, but misses a whole lot when back blading with them. Of course I can’t afford one of each type machine, but one is better than none. I’ve also recently had a couple neighbors offer to trade the type of work they can do for the type of work I can do, so together we can get more done. One has access to an 18,000 lb excavator, the other has a small dozer that needs a clutch. I’d be surprised if he ever fixes it though.
I totally understand that.
I was talking with @Sawyer Rob the other day about that exact thing. He had the lift at his place and I was saying how nice they are, but by the time I pay to have it delivered it doesn't normally make sense for me. So if I can't get a job done with a trailer lift, I usually end up passing in it.
Wish you were a bit closer, it would be nice to have someone with a big piece of equipment to work with.

I'm jealous of you guys with real equipment! Moving that big log around to mill it with just a peavey was a real PITA!

But ... I got it done!
For years all I had was a tiny loader on one of my garden tractors, then had that little abi backhoe from my cousin, then nothing till I got the kubota. Wouldn't be without a tractor with a loader now. That first load of logs I only had to buck one down to pick it up. I didn't realize it till I went back for the second load yesterday that the biggest sections were still laying there, got them loaded first then pulled the smaller stuff on top. Had a pretty nasty rain storm come through while we were loading. Thankfully Nate was running his neighbors kubota so things went smoothly this time. Got home and unloaded about half of it before the next storm set in. I just parked the trailer put of the way. I'd say 90% of the wood is ready to burn from the little of it I've cut into. It's very dry.

In unrelated news, my wife and I have decided it's time for another dog. I've been sorely missing Gretchen lately. She's adamant about not getting another Sheppard, which honestly has me bummed out. I found a local "breeder" that has some golden retriever pups for sale. Going to give him a call and see if he has any left and what they are asking for them.

Attachments

• 20230907_155658.jpg
    20230907_155658.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Very different breeds. In general, Shepards are good protectors, but Goldens not at all.
Yeah, retrievers are a pretty stark contrast from Sheppards. She wanted an easier going dog that would listen to about anyone. Gretchen listened to me and my daughter wouldn't pay my wife any attention at all. Which in fairness my wife has to deal with the dog more then I do so she wins this round.

How “big”? I have a boulder that got away from me last year. It was heading right for our camp, but down trees stopped it. This year we pulled those trees away and made them into firewood. The next morning I heard the boulder shift, and went and saw this.

View attachment 1110537View attachment 1110538

We have put rocks there as chock blocks since these pictures. It looks like it’s on a flat side now, but just wanted to be sure. We might use this for something, not sure yet.
1694197036640.png

reminds me of the spuds i did yesterday out under hot oak coals for dinner. done to perfection and had that cooked outdoors flavor, too! yum
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010006.JPG
P1010009.JPGP1010012.JPG

the workx! to include the butta', too! 🤩
👍

spuds in hot oak coals for 3 hrs and a bit. i ck'd temps with the lazer gun. then i ran out of coals. but spuds hot, hot! and done. wrapped in towel 20 mins later still too hot to hold in hand, once tin off! i was going to do more ranch grillers over 12" hibatchi, but no coals! :dumb2: so tossed together a quick oak stix fire... and did the ala The Trail!.

P1010010.JPGP1010007.JPG

For years all I had was a tiny loader on one of my garden tractors, then had that little abi backhoe from my cousin, then nothing till I got the kubota. Wouldn't be without a tractor with a loader now. That first load of logs I only had to buck one down to pick it up. I didn't realize it till I went back for the second load yesterday that the biggest sections were still laying there, got them loaded first then pulled the smaller stuff on top. Had a pretty nasty rain storm come through while we were loading. Thankfully Nate was running his neighbors kubota so things went smoothly this time. Got home and unloaded about half of it before the next storm set in. I just parked the trailer put of the way. I'd say 90% of the wood is ready to burn from the little of it I've cut into. It's very dry.

In unrelated news, my wife and I have decided it's time for another dog. I've been sorely missing Gretchen lately. She's adamant about not getting another Sheppard, which honestly has me bummed out. I found a local "breeder" that has some golden retriever pups for sale. Going to give him a call and see if he has any left and what they are asking for them.
I am on my 4th shepard lab mix. Perfect for us.
Day to day they are just an old loyal lazy lab, but let a coyote get in the lamb pasture or a creepy guy get out of his car while the kids are outside and the metamorphosis to a shepard beast I am afraid to try and stop happens instantly!! I can tell you from eye witness account that 3 coyotes is lightwork for said beast! The lab build adds mass to the ferocity and absolute fearlessness of the Shepard.

I am on my 4th shepard lab mix. Perfect for us.
Day to day they are just an old loyal lazy lab, but let a coyote get in the lamb pasture or a creepy guy get out of his car while the kids are outside and the metamorphosis to a shepard beast I am afraid to try and stop happens instantly!! I can tell you from eye witness account that 3 coyotes is lightwork for said beast! The lab build adds mass to the ferocity and absolute fearlessness of the Shepard.
My last Shepard went 106 lbs. Surprisingly quick for her size, she could nap a groundhog from across the yard in short order. She was a big softie around people. Only seen her get nasty once, with this scumbag utility worker. Darn near went through the bay window in the living room. Guy left pretty quick. I've always thought the guy was up to something, she never acted like that around anyone else.

They know. Mine went nuclear on one man in his 15 years. He loved every other human he ever met. Tells me something. I was genuinely convinced if the guy hadn't left he would have died that day. I could not control the dog. Teeth bared like a wolf and every hair stood straight up and he was lunging hard.

I must confess..... I finally did it! I just could not resist the urges ...... to go scrounging. Couple days ago, when I first saw the Cherry/Mulberry, I tried to plan a time to go get it. Decided to take the morning off from painting and went out to the log yard. Got a load of Cherry, Mulberry and R. Oak that was just in the way. Couldn't get all the Mulberry on the first load so I went back for a second.
IMG_2078.JPGIMG_2091.JPG
Still tons of R. Oak. Don't know when I'll get back to get some.
IMG_2083.JPGIMG_2087.JPG

I must confess..... I finally did it! I just could not resist the urges ...... to go scrounging. Couple days ago, when I first saw the Cherry/Mulberry, I tried to plan a time to go get it. Decided to take the morning off from painting and went out to the log yard. Got a load of Cherry, Mulberry and R. Oak that was just in the way. Couldn't get all the Mulberry on the first load so I went back for a second.
View attachment 1110878View attachment 1110881
Still tons of R. Oak. Don't know when I'll get back to get some.
View attachment 1110885View attachment 1110886
Wish I had a source like that. Think I'd spend too much time there!

Latest posts

Back