Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sweet. Probably about the same size as the one I was dealing with. What I know is the Kubota was/is a bit small and under powered for the task, but it got it done.

It makes some things really easy. But it’s all I have, so I’m also used to doing things with it that it’s not the right tool for. It’s too big for some jobs, but I do the best I can anyway. It’s not an excavator, but a bigger hole will still get the job done (just more to fill back in). It’ll dig in rocky ground, but it’s meticulous (little by little). It would be nice if I could instantly get rid of the teeth. It won’t hardly dig without them, but misses a whole lot when back blading with them. Of course I can’t afford one of each type machine, but one is better than none. I’ve also recently had a couple neighbors offer to trade the type of work they can do for the type of work I can do, so together we can get more done. One has access to an 18,000 lb excavator, the other has a small dozer that needs a clutch. I’d be surprised if he ever fixes it though.

I have been blocking this road with 2 big boulders. Now I need to get rid of the boulders.

How “big”? I have a boulder that got away from me last year. It was heading right for our camp, but down trees stopped it. This year we pulled those trees away and made them into firewood. The next morning I heard the boulder shift, and went and saw this.

B7E8AF4C-8E51-4889-B033-7F71B685FCA5.jpeg6908BA06-C067-44CB-8F49-0D6FEE484BBE.jpeg

We have put rocks there as chock blocks since these pictures. It looks like it’s on a flat side now, but just wanted to be sure. We might use this for something, not sure yet.

That’s a good chunk of property, 👍
It is Mountain Top, fully wooded, and off the grid. I got it in 1985 for $300/acre (with terms)!

For a few years I collected Bluestone royalties (the quarry is no longer active) and after the tornado I got some timber royalties. Unfortunately, due to all the severe storms they have had up there, there have not been any timber harvests for decades! The tornado took out about 40% of my trees, so there are only small trees on that portion of the property, and it made the rest of the trees more vulnerable to regular windstorms.

It is Mountain Top, fully wooded, and off the grid. I got it in 1985 for $300/acre (with terms)!

For a few years I collected Bluestone royalties (the quarry is no longer active) and after the tornado I got some timber royalties. Unfortunately, due to all the severe storms they have had up there, there have not been any timber harvests for decades! The tornado took out about 40% of my trees, so there are only small trees on that portion of the property, and it made the rest of the trees more vulnerable to regular windstorms.
Yea , those bad storms can reek havoc for years unfortunately to the land , making recovery hard ,

How “big”? I have a boulder that got away from me last year. It was heading right for our camp, but down trees stopped it. This year we pulled those trees away and made them into firewood. The next morning I heard the boulder shift, and went and saw this.

View attachment 1110537View attachment 1110538

We have put rocks there as chock blocks since these pictures. It looks like it’s on a flat side now, but just wanted to be sure. We might use this for something, not sure yet.
Mine are over a ton each. 4'+ L x 2'+ W x 2'+ H. One of my niece's husband is taking both of them for a pond project.

Yea , those bad storms can reek havoc for years unfortunately to the land , making recovery hard ,
Here is one of my logging roads as of yesterday. I don't know what happened up on the hill. The trees are going in every direction. This road was open in the Spring. It is impossible to drive thru this mess.

Attachments

• 20230906_181228.jpg
    20230906_181228.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Gate #2 and gate #3 went in today. #2 is a 10 footer. #3 is another 14 footer like gate #1. I need to attach the locking mechanism on #3 and straighten the posts. That will get done first thing in the morning.

Attachments

• 20230907_145427.jpg
    20230907_145427.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230907_181529.jpg
    20230907_181529.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Good morning guys. Up early as I’m on my way to Louisiana to do some gulf fishing Sunday and Monday.
Good luck.
I had plans to do a good bit of salmon fishing this fall, but with that storm coming thru and making such a mess, I'm way behind now(about two and a half weeks).

Latest posts

Back