Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been working on couple of my gas grills past week or so. one i scrounged up off the curb a few yrs back, POS! to full-service restoration. :cool: then set aside, now decided to bring back to service. always thot it got too hot in cook chamber. but now, i have figured out a way to easily manage the heat! i did a lot of gingerbread upgrades to it in wood. to include a 4' extension chef's/pitmaster work table extension. all knockdown. less than 1 min to set it up. lid handle, for example, all but rusted off... so i made me a new one. among other things, too. so thot i mite try to use it for the Super Scrounge house griddle i scrounged up off the old vintage stove they had in kitchen. been cooking bacon on it of late. does real well! so other day, was nice out so had me some late brunch. couple yard eggs, some k-bob leftovers and made it an outdoors campfire brunch. and that went well, and imo... very much worth the effort! 👍
P1010023.JPGP1010024.JPGP1010025.JPG
P1010006.JPG

up at my wilderness cabin, i have a ranch diorama... barn, cattle, rocks, some off-roading, etc and an alum twin engine plane taking off. in removing a tuff item for replacement off the wall, the plane's stand got knocked off. of course, it broke in two! 💩! :angry:

so after a bit, i thot i could fix it! would have to be strong! as stand is pot metal. so i drilled pin locater holes for steel pins i made. set it up to float so casting parting lines would set perfectly. bigger holes to float in the JB and self-align. all that went well, and now stand 'tings!'... like a little tuning fork! top and bottom! 🤩

mounting pad is angle cast so plane is taking off and in a slight turn, too as it departs....
P1010053.JPG
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010007.JPGP1010009.JPGP1010013.JPGP1010014.JPG
P1010016.JPGP1010018.JPGP1010010.JPG

nice bonus.
i was working on one of my grill's wheels day before. derust axle, lube service, etc... noticed on side missing a running spacer washer. had not had it off ever before. could see wear on wheel's inside hub face. so went to my nuts n bolts tins... (boxes, plastic bowls, etc small) got a hardware store supply... lol... and thot... this will work. no need to go to HD or L's... been saving for longer than forever, some prob over 50 years in container... doubt i will use them all! :laugh: but having them all is a

nice bonus! 😋

I just got back from a 3.5 hour round trip to scrounge up a tool that I have been looking for used for the last 2 years. This company told a worker to dispose of it because they no longer needed it and it was just taking up space. Ths seller's coworker told him to list it on Marketplace for $100. I now own it for $100 and about $37.00 worth of gas. It is a 32" reach thumb that lists for $800 and made in America.

Attachments

• 20230913_211942.jpg
    20230913_211942.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230913-212541_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230913-212541_Facebook.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230913-215648_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230913-215648_Samsung Internet.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 0
Got the 68 back on the ground all new rubber brake hoses, wheel cylinders and new master cylinder . Seems the master was the problem the bore was to big and not actuating the rears properly . The new one is to shiny may have to spritz it with salt water :laugh: IMG_7051.jpegIMG_6973.jpegIMG_7050.jpegI did have to replace two of the front lines not rusted but it looked like someone used a vise grip on the flare nuts .IMG_6979.jpegIMG_6977.jpegand I don’t use it often but the double flare tool is awesome IMG_6976.jpeg

Got the 68 back on the ground all new rubber brake hoses, wheel cylinders and new master cylinder . Seems the master was the problem the bore was to big and not actuating the rears properly . The new one is to shiny may have to spritz it with salt water :laugh: View attachment 1112345View attachment 1112347View attachment 1112346I did have to replace two of the front lines not rusted but it looked like someone used a vise grip on the flare nuts .View attachment 1112349View attachment 1112350and I don’t use it often but the double flare tool is awesome View attachment 1112348
How do you like the vise mounted flare tool? I have a mastercool hydraulic flare tool, it's great but a bit cantankerous during use. It's onky plus is it doesn't need a vice and doesn't a bunch of different dies for fuel lines and bubble flare fittings. Often thought of getting a vise mount brake flare tool, but haven't been able to justify it as seldomly as I mess with brakes

How do you like the vise mounted flare tool? I have a mastercool hydraulic flare tool, it's great but a bit cantankerous during use. It's onky plus is it doesn't need a vice and doesn't a bunch of different dies for fuel lines and bubble flare fittings. Often thought of getting a vise mount brake flare tool, but haven't been able to justify it as seldomly as I mess with brakes
I love the tool. I’ve made fuel lines and brake lines with it so far it’s worked perfectly . I got the tool at the Carlisle truck show think it was $ 179 on special

Got the 68 back on the ground all new rubber brake hoses, wheel cylinders and new master cylinder . Seems the master was the problem the bore was to big and not actuating the rears properly . The new one is to shiny may have to spritz it with salt water :laugh: View attachment 1112345View attachment 1112347View attachment 1112346I did have to replace two of the front lines not rusted but it looked like someone used a vise grip on the flare nuts .View attachment 1112349View attachment 1112350and I don’t use it often but the double flare tool is awesome View attachment 1112348
looks good! i like to take a small paint brush made out of a toothpick for bendix type brakes and every part that is metal and in contact with another metal part put a spot dab of anti seize. spread it out accordingly. makes for a very smooth applying brakes. imo, improves both efficiency of the parts' interactions and effectiveness, too!

Latest posts

Back