Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some scrounging yesterday of the finished kind of wood. I saw an ad for free planks on Marketplace locally. I was there yesterday morning scrounging up (30) 2" thick by 6", 8" and 10" wide Pine planks to be used in the floors of my shed at the farm. These boards are all 12 - 15 feet long. The worst part was removing the nails from them. The rains came while I was removing the nails. I have 8 more boards to denail when the weather clears up.

Got new batteries in the FIL's truck and even snuck in a couple loads before working. Today we're featuring oak for those wood snobs (and you know who you are) that are tired of seeing pine and box elder.
View attachment 1111569View attachment 1111570

If could only make this computer post pictures, I'd liven the hunger for quality fire wood with pics of my willow!!

Burned the brush pile that's been collecting for a few weeks. It's no @Cowboy254 level bonfire, but this one is too close to my house and woods for that size. Only 12' tall flames maybe.
View attachment 1111260
Not quite sure what's going on with this oak in the front yard. Most of the branches above the fork on this side are brown. No visible damage to tree or roots other than one small broken limb below the fork.
View attachment 1111270
And another load.
View attachment 1111272
:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: yeah!
Many trees have lost a lot of leaves this yr since the dry summer. I'd guess like with many other tree issues as long as they don't last more than a few yrs, they recover just fine. A good example is how trees can survive getting decimated by gypsy moths as long as they don't hit them hard a few yrs in a row.
You almost done with that trailer :innocent: .

Halfway there....

Well, I've been freaking out on the area in front of the barn :oops:. There were a few black locust that had the root plates lifting, so they needed to go. Well if I dropped a few trees in the way, I could encourage them to come down fairly easy, if not, there wasn't much room to drop them. So...
It started out looking like this after the storm.

Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 11.15.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-11 at 11.15.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-11 at 11.16.29 PM.png

Then by last Thursday it looked like this.

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 11.37.50 AM.png

Here it is Sunday morning. Just need to hit it with a power rake and then spread some seed.

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 11.36.51 AM.png

Latest posts

Back