Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, thats more or less the plan at this point. There needs to be an active fire before anyone will come out.

Thanks, I'll get that filled out.
In my experience the state agency will investigate whether there is an active fire or not... Unfortunately, because of my roles in organizations that own large tracts of lands, I've had to get involved in these kinds of things quite a number of times. In two cases people built buildings on the organization's property... We just had a survey done that puts about half a building on that property. This is one of the problems with remote property lines as you don't have eyes on them constantly! Large scale dumping by building contractors, motor vehicle shops (including whole cars, motorcycles, lots of tires, dead engines, body parts, etc.) used to be a big problem for us. The dumping has subsided through a combination of access control, having lots of eyes (one has a rail trail owned by a land trust), police investigations, DEC investigations, arrests and fines.

Hate to say it, but tree services have become a huge problem around here. Their own log yards are full... and many don't have their own yards. They do what they can to avoid paying dumping fees while charging big money for their work. One guy I know has huge chippers, some tracked, and he chips entire trees as he has no place for logs and big branches. He dumps chips wherever he thinks he can get away with it--despite state and local regulations that forbid dumping them at most of the sites. There are so many dead trees (EAB, Wooly Algid and now Red Ring Rot is starting to wipe out the white pines) that seemingly everybody goes into the tree service business... training, skill, and a legal place to dump aside. One, with a ratty old truck with a brush painted name on it, is illegally dumping on property next to a land trust's property. I saw them there twice... The pile has spilled onto the land trust property and now there is an active state investigation there too.

If any of you scroungers were local to me I could probably hook you up with more wood than you could use in a 100 life times! 😉

In my experience the state agency will investigate whether there is an active fire or not... Unfortunately, because of my roles in organizations that own large tracts of lands, I've had to get involved in these kinds of things quite a number of times. In two cases people built buildings on the organization's property... We just had a survey done that puts about half a building on that property. This is one of the problems with remote property lines as you don't have eyes on them constantly! Large scale dumping by building contractors, motor vehicle shops (including whole cars, motorcycles, lots of tires, dead engines, body parts, etc.) used to be a big problem for us. The dumping has subsided through a combination of access control, having lots of eyes (one has a rail trail owned by a land trust), police investigations, DEC investigations, arrests and fines.

Hate to say it, but tree services have become a huge problem around here. Their own log yards are full... and many don't have their own yards. They do what they can to avoid paying dumping fees while charging big money for their work. One guy I know has huge chippers, some tracked, and he chips entire trees as he has no place for logs and big branches. He dumps chips wherever he thinks he can get away with it--despite state and local regulations that forbid dumping them at most of the sites. There are so many dead trees (EAB, Wooly Algid and now Red Ring Rot is starting to wipe out the white pines) that seemingly everybody goes into the tree service business... training, skill, and a legal place to dump aside. One, with a ratty old truck with a brush painted name on it, is illegally dumping on property next to a land trust's property. I saw them there twice... The pile has spilled onto the land trust property and now there is an active state investigation there too.

If any of you scroungers were local to me I could probably hook you up with more wood than you could use in a 100 life times! 😉
I’m local :laugh:

If anyone close wants the 1055 come pick it up View attachment 1113959View attachment 1113960
That's a piece of equipment that I wanted for years... just for the grinding wheel with the table on the left! It's perfect for lawn mower blades. I've sufficed with wheels with no guards or table for decades. I run the blade freehand over the top of it lengthwise, with the top of the wheel turning away from me, instead of along the perpendicular edge. It works like a charm even with mulching blades. Clearly not a sanctioned method. 😉 That one looks quite complete and someone could make good use of it if they were so inclined.

I’m local :laugh:
How much do you want? One rail trail alone runs from Kingston to New Paltz and there is a lot of wood there. It's slowly disappearing as a few volunteers with permission to be on the trail take a bit at a time for their own use. I know a bunch of arborists in the area too. I had so much wood at my parents' house that I gave away about 10 cord to a friend and have taken at least another 5-6 cord for my girlfriend. 😉 Speaking of my girlfriend, someone near her reported yesterday that somebody just stole her firewood. My girlfriend has cameras and motion detection lighting so she's not likely to be targeted... This reminds me that I have a couple cord of wood to get to her place before winter... and I need to get my butt up to my parents to finish pruning the trees I worked on yesterday for 4-5 hours. This computer eats up time. 😉

firewoodtheft.gif

How much do you want? One rail trail alone runs from Kingston to New Paltz and there is a lot of wood there. It's slowly disappearing as a few volunteers with permission to be on the trail take a bit at a time for their own use. I know a bunch of arborists in the area too. I had so much wood at my parents' house that I gave away about 10 cord to a friend and have taken at least another 5-6 cord for my girlfriend. 😉 Speaking of my girlfriend, someone near her reported yesterday that somebody just stole her firewood. My girlfriend has cameras and motion detection lighting so she's not likely to be targeted... This reminds me that I have a couple cord of wood to get to her place before winter... and I need to get my butt up to my parents to finish pruning the trees I worked on yesterday for 4-5 hours. This computer eats up time. 😉

View attachment 1113996
I could always use a few dump trailer loads .

I even have the saw chain attachment Manual . I’m pretty sure I have it for the 1055 itself just need to find it image.jpg

It works like a charm even with mulching blades. Clearly not a sanctioned method.

Eh. Not really so good with mulching blades, but much better than a standard bench grinder.

If you really want a good mower blade sharpener, get an RBG. The wheel above the table traps the blade against the table and can be adjusted up or down for the perfect angle. Ruby wheel cuts FAST and relatively cool.

1695230204353.jpeg

The big motor can churn and burn through mountains of mower blades, and hardly warm up. Mine is about 25 years old, and has never worn out anything but the switches and the grind wheels. Damned pricey, though!

Well got my roadside find running again . It was loading up put a new oem carb on it was still loading up . I pulled out the air filter and it was oil soaked. Not sure how that happened . Took it out runs fine . Going to get a new filter .
View attachment IMG_7104.mov
I have a small heater hooked up to it for a load. Really load without the covers but they are so broken upi can’t get them back on

MANY years ago, I bought a big pickup load of thick cottonwood lumber from a guy for $75.00. I brought it into my shop and (long story short) designed a "sewing table" and built it out of that cottonwood.

I showed it off at a Sewing & Vac shop and they bought it to resell, soon the orders came in and I built/sold a BUNCH of custom-built sewing tables out of that pile of lumber! They were a good money maker!

Cottonwood makes, much better lumber than people give it credit for.

SR
I'm not getting alerts so I just saw this. I only have experience with a couple of boards of Cottonwood, but doesn't it get a little twisty when drying?

I'm not getting alerts so I just saw this. I only have experience with a couple of boards of Cottonwood, but doesn't it get a little twisty when drying?
It depends on where the tree grew ect... BUT, it's like every other tree I've worked with, you can't just throw it in a pile and expect it to dry straight or stay straight.

It's work to sticker lumber "properly" so most don't take the time, they just use whatever they have for stickers and get it done fast.

SR

Eh. Not really so good with mulching blades, but much better than a standard bench grinder.
You took that out of context... the Foley isn't good for mulching blades but the method I use works fine... better than using the rest on a conventional grinder.

Yes indeed, it’s hard to replace oral history.

When I was growing up, we usually had three generations worth at my cabin. My grandfather did not hunt but my dad’s best friend was almost a generation older than him, and he was like a grandpa to me. And my dad’s other best friend was WWII vet. Between those three guys and others who visited occasionally, the after dinner storytelling was always awesome.

Now it’s me just at the hunting cabin at age 44 plus my teenage boys and some of their friends. It’s probably safe to say that I’m the “cool dad” amongst their group of friends, but I still don’t have nearly the wealth of stories of the older guys did nor do I have military or law enforcement experience (which was the basis of many of the older guy’s tales).

The father of my best friend from junior high was a Vietnam vet then was a police officer who became the chief of police. He could keep you enthralled for hours. One of the best “BS sessions” I ever had was being able to hang out with him as an adult so he told us some of the stories that he didn’t tell when we were teens.

Maybe you could find a truck driver to come hang out and tell stories, we've got plenty 🤣.
Some of us just don't have the "gift of gab" or have piss-poor memories. I've got lots of stories to tell, it just usually takes a few beers and some prodding to get me rollin'.

Actually, the old cabin was VERY cramped, the new cabin has much more room. The new cabin even has a paved floor, a sink (and granite countertop) and solar panels with LED lights on switches, instead of filling the Coleman lanterns every night!

But the new cabin will never have something that the old cabin had ... Uncle Hank!

Uncle Hank was a storyteller, and when you are in the woods, off the grid, no TV or radio, a storyteller is invaluable! We all miss Uncle Hank's tales! Most of them were about hunting and started with the same phrase ... "It was a cold and windy day" How I wish I could bring him back for my grandchildren, but no one tells tales like Uncle Hank did! RIP Hank, we miss ya!
It never felt too cramped to me. Everything had a place and when kept there we managed just fine. I LOVE my childhood memories growing up hunting in that cabin!!

When Hank would bless us and come to camp, it was always more fun! I’ll never forget the look on our faces when we both saw you come back to camp empty handed after hearing shots and the surprise it was my father who shot a buck. He was a blessing to have up there and we always managed

If you really want a good mower blade sharpener, get an RBG. The wheel above the table traps the blade against the table and can be adjusted up or down for the perfect angle. Ruby wheel cuts FAST and relatively cool.

View attachment 1114016

The big motor can churn and burn through mountains of mower blades, and hardly warm up. Mine is about 25 years old, and has never worn out anything but the switches and the grind wheels. Damned pricey, though!
The RGB is the boss. I'm picking up a like new Oregon 88-018 blade grinder with the two way 1hp tomorrow for $175.

Back