Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on the "new" Hooskies I picked up the other day. All three run. The 242 runs really well. Pretty clean saw, other than the top cover is a little busted up. It was filthy, and still needs more WD40 and air. But, she runs strong. I think I might try to find another top cover for her and use it for a bit. It's a 300th anniversary model (89, right?), so finding another cover with that sticker will be tough.

The 246 seems to have some carb issues. Runs great then bogs down. All three saws had OLD gas in them. I loaded them up with 100LL mixed 40:1, and ran them for a bit to get that fuel into everything. Will let them sit and play with them again this weekend.

The 254 was the cleanest of the group. Is only missing one screw for the pull/start cover, which they used a hex head screw instead. Will need to scrounge one of those up, or hit the hardware store. It's might be cleaner an my other examples.

Will get some pics this weekend maybe. The 246 will likely go up for sale once I get it cleaned up and in good working order. Same for the 242 if I don't fall in love with it. I still miss my 346 that @chipper1 snagged from me. Not sure ifI like it or the MS241 better.

Excited to get firewood season started. I haven't cut any wood in a long time. Still have plenty for winter, but my rick is getting low...
Here’s one for ya ,IMG_0789.jpeg

Mine was all healed up and back to normal by a year. I returned to work fulltime building big threading machines after 4 1/2 months. Then two months later I had a torn rotator cuff repaired that had bothered me on and off for 5 - 6 years. Two months after that I retired at 68 1/2.
I flip flopped and had the rotator cuff done first.... handguns and .223 are fine but no more 12 gauge for me.

I went back out to the log yard today. I had uncovered the last three logs in the log pile I was working on. De-limbed and removed all the brush around them so I would be standing on level ground. Got there today only to find the logs were gone. Let me say first, I have a nice arrangement. I only live 2 miles from the log yard and have permission to cut from both the tree guy and the land owner on who's land the log dump sets. They both know me and I'm respective of their property. I always pile up the brush I cut off so it's just one push onto the brush pile for them. One other guy cuts and sells firewood. I noticed his totes, which were empty yesterday, were full of this Red Oak.

I was going to go into a full rant, but instead I'll just say, I can't believe anyone would take firewood from a place someone else was actively working. He cuts his pieces 10-12" long and sells the green wood. Wouldn't all the dead standing Ash lying around be better for him? I just don't get it.

Cooler day, by 20 degrees, So I managed to get 2+ loads by cleaning up the pile right next to the first one.
IMG_2171.JPGIMG_2172.JPGIMG_2176.JPGIMG_2177.JPG
Not bad pile for about 8 hours of work.

I went back out to the log yard today. I had uncovered the last three logs in the log pile I was working on. De-limbed and removed all the brush around them so I would be standing on level ground. Got there today only to find the logs were gone. Let me say first, I have a nice arrangement. I only live 2 miles from the log yard and have permission to cut from both the tree guy and the land owner on who's land the log dump sets. They both know me and I'm respective of their property. I always pile up the brush I cut off so it's just one push onto the brush pile for them. One other guy cuts and sells firewood. I noticed his totes, which were empty yesterday, were full of this Red Oak.

I was going to go into a full rant, but instead I'll just say, I can't believe anyone would take firewood from a place someone else was actively working. He cuts his pieces 10-12" long and sells the green wood. Wouldn't all the dead standing Ash lying around be better for him? I just don't get it.

Cooler day, by 20 degrees, So I managed to get 2+ loads by cleaning up the pile right next to the first one.
View attachment 1126479View attachment 1126480View attachment 1126481View attachment 1126483
Not bad pile for about 8 hours of work.
That sucks you lost some primo oak. The ash would have been way better to sell now. I know it's a dodge :buttkick::laugh: but you need to stack that stuff instead of standing on end when hauling. Way more wood in the truck. Same thing with when you stack at home. Horizontal instead of vertical. It will help it dry faster till you split it.

That sucks you lost some primo oak. The ash would have been way better to sell now. I know it's a dodge :buttkick::laugh: but you need to stack that stuff instead of standing on end when hauling. Way more wood in the truck. Same thing with when you stack at home. Horizontal instead of vertical. It will help it dry faster till you split it.
I live in the salt belt and I've seen the horror stories here about rusted out frames. I have a couple of ditches to go over and it's only a 2WD so I try not to overload it. It's only 2 miles there so I make multiple trips as I did today. As for stacking on the ground, it's temporary. I hope to get that split in November. Plus, I thought standing on end, the water would flow through the fibers easier?

P.S. I didn't see until now you were bad mouthing my Dodge :laugh: . It's my only vehicle and it's a real truck (8' bed) and I'd like to keep it for the rest of my life.

Thanks. Guy I bought it from had a construction business I assume the emblem is from that, he was original owner, had it sense new. Had a few Chevys, seems like they all have their issues, probably should have bought the one I sent you pictures of at least it’s a long bed. Should have kept the 95 F250. Part of the problem is I need a usable pickup for my job and repair shops here are 1-2 weeks out and want you to leave it with them so they can work it in and I don’t have time or a place to work them myself for anything major.

They are good and makes sound/ vibration with hubs disengaged. Thought it was carrier bearing but still does it after that was changed.
I understand that full well, you know I'll be buying some real special rides once the barn is finished lol.
No I haven’t yet. Sounds like from the rear. Starts around 40 mph, worst at 60-65, less at 70. Mostly under acceleration, sound goes away when you let off the gas, still has some vibration but less.
What's the rear gear lube look like. I'd check that and the transfer case fluid too.
Doesn't sound like u-joints.
You guys probably already fixed this by now.

Went back to the log yard this morning. I petered out. Was planning on getting a truck and trailer full, but after filling the truck, I said the heck with it. Felt like work. Yesterday was fun. So I just went and ran a 5k:muscle:.
View attachment 1126183View attachment 1126184
No point in killing myself. The remaining 4 ? loads are safe for now being far from the burn pile. And good weather for the next week is expected. I can finish up this pile a couple days next week.
Nice load James.
I fixed the first paragraph so you sound more like a hard core scrounger :happy: .

Tried to catch up here... noticed lots of aches and pains, and surgery stuff... I imagine this is nursing home talk but we aren't in a nursing home! 😉 That said, today may be another step in that direction for me--tearing off a two layer roof. Ugh. It's been about 25 years since I did a roof... Today reminded me of why. 😉

My son was using my brother's old JD tractor to move materials around. Anyone ever see one like this? Anybody recognize the nose poking out in the background?

IMG_6224.gif

Tried to catch up here... noticed lots of aches and pains, and surgery stuff... I imagine this is nursing home talk but we aren't in a nursing home! 😉 That said, today may be another step in that direction for me--tearing off a two layer roof. Ugh. It's been about 25 years since I did a roof... Today reminded me of why. 😉

My son was using my brother's old JD tractor to move materials around. Anyone ever see one like this? Anybody recognize the nose poking out in the background?

View attachment 1126546
At least you didn't fall off :surprised3:.
Looks like a 280.

Latest posts

Back