Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some photos from hunting camp last month.

My skiff was our ride to and from camp. About a twenty mile route one way.
20231121_123254.jpg

The cabin.
20231112_141442.jpg

An old set of beautiful head gear off a caribou bull.
20231113_151737.jpg

Some nice forks for meat. No trophy hunting this go around, but we got plenty of meat in the freezer and great memories in our hearts!
20231119_160534.jpg

Venison ribs fir dinner! So so good!
20231117_190420.jpg

Beans and his nice Blacktail forked horn.
20231120_143014.jpg

Pleasant and safe hunting Gentleman!

In MY state, some major studies were done, and they proved that the bullets from the shorter straight walled cartridges didn't fly any further or ricochet any more than shotgun slugs do.

My experience firing both, I agree with their findings, and that's why they legalized the less powerful straight walled cartridges.

That's not stupid at all.

SR
You might be right. I really didn't look into it that far.

Some photos from hunting camp last month.

My skiff was our ride to and from camp. About a twenty mile route one way.
View attachment 1133133

The cabin.
View attachment 1133136

An old set of beautiful head gear off a caribou bull.
View attachment 1133137

Some nice forks for meat. No trophy hunting this go around, but we got plenty of meat in the freezer and great memories in our hearts!
View attachment 1133138

Venison ribs fir dinner! So so good!
View attachment 1133135

Beans and his nice Blacktail forked horn.
View attachment 1133132

Pleasant and safe hunting Gentleman!

Amazing pics!

Matt, the Hornady SST slug rounds shoot a 50 cal 300 grain slug at 2,000 fps.

Your 450 shoots a 300 grain bullet at 1,900 or a 260 grain at 2,200.

I doubt that anything you hit with either of them would know the difference!
I think I’ll take a twist rate of 1/16 over 1/34 any day to make sure my projectile is going where it’s supposed to go

Make it count to the brain. Otherwise you could very possibly give the animal a non lethal head wound, or a lethal head wound that leaves the animal suffering for days, or even weeks. Just to dye a slow painful miserable death! Like a blown off nose, fractured jaw, eye shot out and things like that. Not a fan of head shots, but that's just my opinion. To each their own.
I was meaning a brain shot.

If I had a choice between a flat sided rifle bullet casing and a 12ga I would use the 12ga due to the knockdown power of the round.
I don't know what a "flat sided rifle bullet casing" is?

I shot a nice buck the other day with my rifle, hit it in the ribs and I don't know if it blinked or not (it was over 100 yards away) but it dropped in its tracks and was dead seconds later.

There's no doubt that any of the bigger straight walled cartridges kill deer faster than any slugs, 12ga. or otherwise. Also, they are MUCH more accurate, and most have less recoil than a 12 ga. with a slug and that in itself makes them easier to shoot accurately.

I want to add that one BIG reason the straight walled cartridges (450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend, 360 Buckhammer) work so well on deer sized animals is, the bullet is designed for THAT sized animal, and they have no problem outperforming shotgun slugs.

SR

I want to edit in: OK, after rereading it several times and thinking about it, I realized that was how you described straight walled cartridges. I finally got it! lol

I don't know what a "flat sided rifle bullet casing" is?

I shot a nice buck the other day with my rifle, hit it in the ribs and I don't know if it blinked or not (it was over 100 yards away) but it dropped in its tracks and was dead seconds later.

There's no doubt that any of the bigger straight walled cartridges kill deer faster than any slugs, 12ga. or otherwise. Also, they are MUCH more accurate, and most have less recoil than a 12 ga. with a slug and that in itself makes them easier to shoot accurately.

I want to add that one BIG reason the straight walled cartridges (450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend, 360 Buckhammer) work so well on deer sized animals is, the bullet is designed for THAT sized animal, and they have no problem outperforming shotgun slugs.

SR
I'll have to look into these rounds. I was not aware of such large calibers in straight walled cartridges. My flat sided bullet casing should have said straight walled cartridge. Old man brain fart at work. I would prefer using a rifle versus a 12Ga. When I saw the comment about IL. using straight walled cartridges the only thing I thought of was the .30 caliber M1 carbine round and a .22 magnum round. Hence my choice of using a 12Ga slug gun.

I'll have to look into these rounds. I was not aware of such large calibers in straight walled cartridges. My flat sided bullet casing should have said straight walled cartridge. Old man brain fart at work. I would prefer using a rifle versus a 12Ga. When I saw the comment about IL. using straight walled cartridges the only thing I thought of was the .30 caliber M1 carbine round and a .22 magnum round. Hence my choice of using a 12Ga slug gun.
Soon you will be hearing a lot more about the 400 Legend too, it's just getting popular.

Myself, I like the 360 Buckhammer best, but that's because I like the fact that it uses .357" bullets and is a rimmed case, not necessarily because it kills deer any faster.

SR

NOOOOO!!!

That is the muzzle energy for the 450. At 100 yds they both have +/- 1,800 foot pounds of energy.
Google says
450bushmaster @ 100yrds 2,686 foot pounds
That Hornady SST sabot slug has 1,793 @ 100 yards

So, I’ll stop chirping on the subject, but I’ll still pick the rifle
e

OK, so the 12 gauge saboted slugs are not designed for taking deer ... I think I need to look for some new hip boots!

Accuracy of rifled slugs is often VG, you just have to find what your gun likes. Although rifles are more likely to be more accurate that shotguns, I have seen rifles that will not shoot and shotguns that will, so making a blanket statement is (IMO) rubbish!

My biggest knock on the rifled slugs is the cost, and the fact that I can't reload them. But if you have a gun that shoots them well, they are just as effective as any straight walled cartridge. As I have previously stated, the deer will never know the difference!

Shot placement has more to do with whether a deer drops on the spot or not than the gun or caliber. I have seen deer drop on the spot from a MZ round ball, MZ sabot slug, shotgun slug, and various rifles. A deer hit through the lungs with the same firearms will generally run about 50-60 yds.

Heck, I once knocked a buck clean off his feet and onto his side with a 70 lb compound bow, but the arrow hit the shoulder bone, the arrow head broke, and I never did find that deer. (The arrowhead was the once highly touted Anderson 245 magnum). I never used them again.

You guys are lucky to be able to use rifles during deer season. In Mass it is shotgun only. I can say that my 12ga slugger to the lungs dropped my doe dead in less than 100 feet.
And I thought PA was in the stone age with not allowing semi auto rifles on deer sized game.
A buddy of a buddy called and asked if he could drop off a poplar tree they were hired to cut down at a local golf course. I said but of course !
View attachment 1133070

This is by far the largest poplar tree I've ever seen ! Free is free and I said thank you come again when they left. He said they had a few more local jobs lined up and he'd keep me posted. Can't argue with that !
View attachment 1133071
Pretty normal size for a yard Poplar around here. Have one bucked into chunks sitting out back.
Yes, something it can't be a necked down round like a 30-30 or 30 06. As I said I don't understand it; just think it's a bad idea for our state.
It's a stupid archaic law that has zero merrit. I don't much care how much research they claim to have done, you can kill just as effectively with a straight wall cartridge or necked cartridge. The states clinging one to the shot gun and straight walled thing need to get over themselves.

Back