Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ballistic truth (450 bushmaster):

The below 450 Bushmaster ballistics chart shows 300 grain Federal Premium Non Typical JHP rounds.

Muzzle100 YDS200 YDS
Velocity (FPS)190015921331
Energy (FT/LB)240516871179
Drop (Inch)/0-12.4

This 450 Bushmaster ballistic chart shows 260 grain Federal Fusion soft point rounds.

Muzzle100 YDS200 YDS
Velocity (FPS)220017771419
Energy (FT/LB)279418231162
Drop (Inch)/0-9.7

This is the first year IL has allowed some sort of rifles for deer season. Not high powered rifles. Some other sort; I don't understand the restrictions. Now how stupid is that for those who use rifles in flat land congested areas in IL?
Straight wall cartridge only?

Google says
450bushmaster @ 100yrds 2,686 foot pounds
That Hornady SST sabot slug has 1,793 @ 100 yards

So, I’ll stop chirping on the subject, but I’ll still pick the rifle
I don't know much about the 450 bushmaster. Nothing really. Im not at all familiar with the cartridge, but a 450 caliber projectile would be at least 300gr to 400gr I'm assuming. A bullet that heavy. Let's say 350gr. Traveling 2686fps. Would be delivering well over 5000 pounds of energy. That's right there with .416 Weatherby performance!

I don't know much about the 450 bushmaster. Nothing really. Im not at all familiar with the cartridge, but a 450 caliber projectile would be at least 300gr to 400gr I'm assuming. A bullet that heavy. Let's say 350gr. Traveling 2686fps. Would be delivering well over 5000 pounds of energy. That's right there with .416 Weatherby performance!
guns and ammo ~

scrounged this un from that other thread...

reminds me of our Alaskan shooter...

1701798296934.png

I was meaning a brain shot.
I don't think anyone who takes head shots. Ever intends on placing sloppy shots to the head. I'm just say'n things happen unexpectedly. That's why I personally don't take head shots. It's just my personal preference. I know a lot of folks that do. Fellow hunters and friends. However, I don't.

You are thinking of real rifle cartridges KK, this one is NOT, it is designed to function in AR platforms. I posted the info a couple of posts above yours.

It was developed SPECIFICALLY for hunting in areas that don't allow "too much power" (which can include other straight wall cases).

Loads are generally with 260 or 300 grain bullets, and the 300 grain bullets don't reach 2,000 FPS.

As a result, the power is very similar to many saboted shotgun slugs.

First of all, the bullets are designed for deer, so they are NOT 350 grain, they are much lighter and designed to expand in a deer sized animal.

Folks seem to like the 240 grain bullets in the 450 Bushmaster.

SR

You are thinking or real rifle cartridges KK, this one is NOT, it is designed to function in AR platforms. I posted the info a couple of posts above yours.

It was developed SPECIFICALLY for hunting in areas that don't allow "too much power" (which can include other straight wall cases).

Loads are generally with 260 or 300 grain bullets, and the 300 grain bullets don't reach 2,000 FPS.

Ahhh ok, now that makes sense with those velocities. Roger that. Got it.👍

I don't think anyone who takes head shots. Ever intends on placing sloppy shots to the head. I'm just say'n things happen unexpectedly. That's why I personally don't take head shots. It's just my personal preference. I know a lot of folks that do. Fellow hunters and friends. However, I don't.
Head shots are VERY risky because the target area is small, and the head can move very quickly and unexpectedly. I would always choose to go for the neck or shoulder instead.

besides, some like cooked brains more so that pan fried back strap ~ :popcorn2:

:yes:

First of all, the bullets are designed for deer, so they are NOT 350 grain, they are much lighter and designed to expand in a deer sized animal.

SR
Like I said. I'm not at all familiar with the cartridge. When I think .450, I think Africa. Lol!

Head shots are VERY risky because the target area is small, and the head can move very quickly and unexpectedly. I would always choose to go for the neck or shoulder instead.
especially once the bullet hits its mark! we never went for neck, always a shoulder shot...

when i think Afirica, i think bore. 2 bore, 4 bore... or .577nitro, double barrel rifle...

577/450

View attachment 1133261
That's an interesting looking cartridge. I'm familiar with all the nitro's. Although I've never fired any of them. Any of the .416's will work great for even the biggest and toughest game in Africa. They have pretty good trajectory for a big bore also. 200yrds accurately is not a problem for any of the .416's. .416's are pretty popular over there from what I've read. However, I've never been there myself.

That's an interesting looking cartridge. I'm familiar with all the nitro's. Although I've never fired any of them. Any of the .416's will work great for even the biggest and toughest game in Africa. They have pretty good trajectory for a big bore also. 200yrds accurately is not a problem for any of the .416's. .416's are pretty popular over there from what I've read. However, I've never been there myself.
my Dad had 577 rounds, machined out of brass! nitro sticks inside.I never fired one, never fired any 4 or 2 bores. think i don't want to! lol... bad deal for shooter. worse for animal. oft took shooter helper to hold him up once the bang happened. no thanks!

1701801332815.png

shooter looks to be frowning, maybe he had just fired it!

what is diam of that bore? 3/4" lol

never fired and 4 or 2 bores. think i don't want to! lol... bad deal for shooter. worse for animal. oft took shooter helper to hold him up once the bang happened. no thanks!
View attachment 1133274
shooter looks to be frowning, maybe he had just fired it!
what is diam of that bore? 3/4" lol
i wasn't even close:

Two bores generally fire spherical balls or slugs of hardened lead or, in the modern metallic cartridge, additionally a solid bronze projectile. The nominal bore is 1.326 inches (33.7 mm), and projectiles generally weigh 8 ounces (227 grams; 3500 grains).

I'll stick with my .458 socom, much more versatile then the 450bm. Well, if you hand load. Can go from a 140gr sabot to a 600gr sub load. I favor the 300 gr ttsx, played with the 325gr ftx but couldn't get it to shoot real accurately. Normally load to around 1800fps, but have some loaded up close to 2000fps. Inside of 200 yards it's quite a good round. Can't shoot it in the communist states for deer so it didn't gain the traction the 450bm

Attachments

• 20231205_185542.jpg
    20231205_185542.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
You are thinking of real rifle cartridges KK, this one is NOT, it is designed to function in AR platforms. I posted the info a couple of posts above yours.

I shot it out of a bolt action Ruger, it has great performance out to 200

The doe I nailed with it crumbled and super accurate. Look at that placement 71984049041__20A8EDB0-C43B-4C6C-A8E9-02B7E886F957.jpeg

Tonight’s stove pic

My youngest is 14 and loves this dang show….
View attachment 1133319
My nieces and kids love that show.... but the duck named sean..... got me in trouble with my sister in law, till she realized they were copying the duck on the show and not something I did!

Latest posts

Back