Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two high efficiency wood stoves, both were "like new" CL buys at pennies on the dollar, in both cases the wife was NOT letting that dirty bug infested firewood and ash/dust in HER house.
This one is a cat equipped with a class A chimney, it's been our main (90%+) winter heat for going on 15 years now.
View attachment 1133372 View attachment 1133371
I like how you finished off your fireplace. I have a cultured stone surround around mine and I'd have to remove some of it to remove the heatilator. I have access to the chimney so I could run a new Class A chimney. If I had known then when I built my house back in the 80s what I know now, I'd put in a real fireplace. My Dad had a Heatilator in our home and BIL had one in his first house, so that's what I put in. BIL in his second house, put in a used fireplace insert. But he rarely burns it.

When I built my house, I never considered heating it with wood and I never had a source of firewood as I do now. Oh if we only had the brains when we were young that we do now :laugh: .

Head shots are VERY risky because the target area is small, and the head can move very quickly and unexpectedly. I would always choose to go for the neck or shoulder instead.
Hear hear!

I still like a lung shot for deer if I can but when you shoot them in the neck they drop in their tracks.

I try to shoot hogs right behind the head. You’re increasing your target area four fold with equal devastation.

Seen a few instances where somebody shot the jaw off an animal which is course, a very slow painful death sentence for the animal.

And obviously trying to be a humane hunter, a clean kill is the most important thing but as something secondary, head shots are gross. Who wants a nice picture of you and your quarry with its head blown off. And I do take a moment and give thanks after I harvest an animal and I just kind of feel bad if it’s head is all ****ed up. JMHO.

On the flipside, if you’re dealing with varmints or dangerous animals zigzagging your way, all this is out of the window and you take the shot you are given as soon as you can get it whether that’s the head or whatever other disabling/killing shot that’s available.

I like how you finished off your fireplace. I have a cultured stone surround around mine and I'd have to remove some of it to remove the heatilator. I have access to the chimney so I could run a new Class A chimney. If I had known then when I built my house back in the 80s what I know now, I'd put in a real fireplace. My Dad had a Heatilator in our home and BIL had one in his first house, so that's what I put in. BIL in his second house, put in a used fireplace insert. But he rarely burns it.

When I built my house, I never considered heating it with wood and I never had a source of firewood as I do now. Oh if we only had the brains when we were young that we do now :laugh: .
I feel your pain; the upper fireplace in this house I built was a heatalator,
1701868818666.jpeg
I tore it out and replaced it with a real wood stove after a couple years. The basement stove had a hot water heat exchanger plate and supplied heat to baseboard radiators concealed in the log walls.
1701868703814.jpeg

Little jealous of you guys with inserts/ glass fronts, I gotta look at my fire with the feed door open. Dad has an old grizzly wood stove with a glass front, but it's so covered in soot you can hardly tell there's a fire going.
Wet newspaper and some ash should polish it right off. My BIL does that

When my starts to build up, I leave the fire burning a bit without damping it down and it burns the buildup right off. Looks cool

Before life took me in another direction I was really getting into the AR platform. IMHO everything is some sort of a compromise when you’re dealing with this platform. But to me, the 450 bushmaster was the best compromise amongst the big bore cartridges.

I’ve been starting to build a preference points in Iowa and when I eventually hunt down there, I think I will just get an older lever action straight wall and put a good scope on it.

Guys, I know I’ve said it before… But between watching the hunting stories here and those on the Facebook groups I belong to……Cherish your deer hunting trips and memories. We still have deer camp per se, but our harvest is basically down to near zero. Nobody would’ve ever dreamed in their worst nightmare, that what would happen to our game animals actually happened.

The only silver lining is now both big cats and Wolves are making their way south and have been sighted in or near the big city areas. I applaud this because now they can have a taste of what we are forced to deal with.

Wet newspaper and some ash should polish it right off.
This 👆 for cleaning stove glass.
Early and late year, soot build up happens. Once the serious heating season is going the glass stays pretty clean.
Is it really a wood stove if there isn't a dog laying on the hearth?
Previous dog, Vermont stove, now in the basement. I'm big on code compliant installs. There's a continuous air gap under the hearth and up between that tile and the sheetrock wall, open to the room at the top..
wood Stove.JPG
Live image, ;^)
KIMG5334.JPG

I feel your pain; the upper fireplace in this house I built was a heatalator,
View attachment 1133508
I tore it out and replaced it with a real wood stove after a couple years. The basement stove had a hot water heat exchanger plate and supplied heat to baseboard radiators concealed in the log walls.
View attachment 1133507
Your Heatilator looks exactly like mine. You still got it laying around? I need new doors for mine :laugh: .

Your Heatilator looks exactly like mine. You still got it laying around? I need new doors for mine :laugh: .
:eek:removed by caving it inward about 20 years ago.
Careful, you GOTTA keep air movement through those doors!
They are a loose fit on purpose.
I can still remember how jerky they were to open and close....

:eek:removed by caving it inward about 20 years ago.
Careful, you GOTTA keep air movement through those doors!
They are a loose fit on purpose.
I can still remember how jerky they were to open and close....
Yes definitely jerky. Mine stuck once and I gave it a pull. the track came out and the door fell to the hearth. One pane shattered. That's why I'm looking for new doors (and tracks). Or of course, a used insert :laugh: .

I only keep mine fired up when I'm home as it's supplemental heat for my natural gas furnace. The doors stay open. Before I'm planning to go somewhere, I let it burn down and then close the three remaining doors. A piece of metal screen goes over the fourth opening as well as the fireplace screen. So it's always getting enough flow.

Plus, I clean the flue pipe once a month with a round fireplace wire brush I run down to the damper. I don't get a lot, but I prefer to keep the amount of buildup small. I've had a couple of small flue fires because I've loaded it up late at night and the fire takes off. I hear the roar and I have damper it down to the point of smoking in the house and remove as much burning wood (tossing out in the yard) using gloves. I then have to crawl into the attic and make sure the exterior pipe is not getting to hot for the surrounding lumber (despite the required safe distance I built into it). I don't like that experience so I keep my fires small.

Before life took me in another direction I was really getting into the AR platform. IMHO everything is some sort of a compromise when you’re dealing with this platform. But to me, the 450 bushmaster was the best compromise amongst the big bore cartridges.

I’ve been starting to build a preference points in Iowa and when I eventually hunt down there, I think I will just get an older lever action straight wall and put a good scope on it.
Give Toney Rumore at tromix a call before you settle on any ar-platform big caliber, I believe he's forgotten more about guns then most will ever know. He's the main reason I went with the .458 over the 450bm. (Side note, he was pushing the .358 socom, but it was very new to his line up back then.)

You could connect you insert to the double walled pipe.
I think @gggGary is right in his previous post. My thin walled pipe system is not adequate for a hotter burning unit. At least, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I do have fairly easy access to the backside so I could run a better (Class A?) flue. Then an insert would still be a possibility. I might look into a better flue pipe ahead of time. Any suggestions? What size do they normally take? 6"?

Back