Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 620 should keep pace till its broken in, assuming it runs like my neighbors 620p. Once it's broken in. (You'll notice it pick up power, it's not subtle) the 620p is slower, muff mod/hole shot / bark box the 400 is another nice power bump over the 620p.
Not meaning to try start an argument Sean....guess we were typing at the same time...
Seems like you and I had opposite experience/impressions on the 400 vs 620p.....
I was just sharing my impression with my two saws.

I may be dead wrong....certainly wouldn't be the first time...lol

Sean, SVK is 110% correct

Any and all correspondence from here on out, gets put in writing. Even after you meet in person, send a email as soon as you can with a recap of what was said. I write stuff down on a pad so it’s crystal clear when emailing.

Just this week, I had a lift fail at work, causing massive property damage to a customers vehicle. I contacted the Lift Company because out of 27 lifts. Somehow this one was not inspected by the company back in October, all other 26 were. They returned, and made multiple repairs to the other lifts that were required, and still somehow Lift 15 slipped through the cracks. Every correspondence now is followed by an email as I am beyond upset with this company and plan on holding them responsible for the damages.

It’s sad that in this world, we have to do things this way, but it is what it is.

I was very impressed with my 400 right out of the box, I had been running the 620p daily before that.
Honestly I think my 620p improved more with break in than the ms400 did....at least that was my impression.
Both my 590 and 620 picked up a ton from break in. I bought the 620 after the 590 and the broken in 590 would always outcut the new 620. Now the 620 is a bit faster than the 590 since they’re on the same playing field

The 620 should keep pace till it’s broken in, assuming it runs like my neighbors 620p. Once it's broken in. (You'll notice it pick up power, it's not subtle) the 620p is slower, muff mod/hole shot / bark box the 400 is another nice power bump over the 620p.
I honestly think I simply might’ve gotten really good runners with both my 590 and 620. I know an older gentleman who also runs a 590, and mine leaves his in the dust for some reason, same bar and chain. The 620 even more so

I was very impressed with my 400 right out of the box, I had been running the 620p daily before that.
Honestly I think my 620p improved more with break in than the ms400 did....at least that was my impression.
I was happy, but disappointed with the 400 when I got it. First it ran fine, just not amazing like I was told. Finished off the tree job I was on when I got it, think I had like 3 tanks in it till I was done. (The 562xp and 390xp did most the felling and bucking the day before, when the 562xp started running real bad.) The next time I used it was helping my neighbor in his log pile. I've always thought his 620p was kinda heavy and slow, but I wasn't real impressed when he was basically keeping up with my 400. Steve said to give it a few more tanks. It really started coming alive around tank 8, and I'd guess by tank 10 it was fully broken in. Then you could see the difference between the 620p and the 400. The bark box made a pretty big difference too.

Not meaning to try start an argument Sean....guess we were typing at the same time...
Seems like you and I had opposite experience/impressions on the 400 vs 620p.....
I was just sharing my impression with my two saws.

I may be dead wrong....certainly wouldn't be the first time...lol
Honestly I it took mine a while to find power. My old 562xp out cut my neighbors 620p so I was kinds disappointed that the 400 didn't blow it out of the water at first. Was like a switched flipped till tank 10.

Sean, SVK is 110% correct

Any and all correspondence from here on out, gets put in writing. Even after you meet in person, send a email as soon as you can with a recap of what was said. I write stuff down on a pad so it’s crystal clear when emailing.

Just this week, I had a lift fail at work, causing massive property damage to a customers vehicle. I contacted the Lift Company because out of 27 lifts. Somehow this one was not inspected by the company back in October, all other 26 were. They returned, and made multiple repairs to the other lifts that were required, and still somehow Lift 15 slipped through the cracks. Every correspondence now is followed by an email as I am beyond upset with this company and plan on holding them responsible for the damages.

It’s sad that in this world, we have to do things this way, but it is what it is.
Everything is going to be via email from here on out. Fourtonalty my wife is dealing with it now. I'm not good at these things, I'm the shoot first, shoot second, shoot, shoot, shoot then ask questions. Doesn't take much to get me fired up, and my daughter is my baby (don't tell her brother, who's actually the baby of the family.) So, my wife handling it is preferred.

Hopefully they offer to cover the damage, since they were contracted to do the safty inspections/maintenance. Thays big f-up in my eyes.

Honestly I it took mine a while to find power. My old 562xp out cut my neighbors 620p so I was kinds disappointed that the 400 didn't blow it out of the water at first. Was like a switched flipped till tank 10.
Saws are kinda individual I guess.....my 620p is slightly faster than the 562 I had, and my 400 always was noticeably better than both.

It doesn't really matter to me....they all cut wood quite well. 👍

It'll be interesting to hear what @cuttinstihl has to report back after Saturday's cutting adventure.

Everything is going to be via email from here on out. Fourtonalty my wife is dealing with it now. I'm not good at these things, I'm the shoot first, shoot second, shoot, shoot, shoot then ask questions. Doesn't take much to get me fired up, and my daughter is my baby (don't tell her brother, who's actually the baby of the family.) So, my wife handling it is preferred.

Hopefully they offer to cover the damage, since they were contracted to do the safty inspections/maintenance. Thays big f-up in my eyes.
I’m pretty level headed until I’m not. Then it’s full throttle

My boss calls me Sonny (Godfather reference) as I can have a temper

The company luckily got me the next day via phone. After everything was emailed explaining what day they inspected, what day they returned to repair lift 9, lift 16, lift 12 and REPLACE (yes I paid 14,000 to replace a lift instead of the 8,000 repair it needed) lift 11. I have absolutely ZERO problems spending the money to keep my shop’s equipment in proper condition. The email was pretty strongly worded with lots of capitals.

Today I simply explained the milk has spilled, it needs to be cleaned up. Are you going to help me and continue this business relationship or are you going to tell me it’s my responsibility to clean it up? Think about it and email me your plan of action

If they had got me yesterday……

When it comes to our kids, that’s a whole another story, “the gloves come off” in that instance

Got the rest of the story after my daughter got home.
Disclaimer, I'm not good at handling these situations to begin with, so my wife and I had a chat before we approached her about what happened.
So, she pretty much said exactly what the principal said, except we got the rest of the story. She said her and 2 friends were playing at the fire pole on the play ground. A fourth kid (the boy) decided he needed to come up. Apparently there is barely enough room for three kids at the top of this thing, so when the boy came up he proceeded to shove my daughter into a corner. She said she told him to get off,but he didn't so she kicked him. Wasn't aiming, but connected with his balls. He screamed, which caught the proctors attention. She came over and made them all get down, listened to the boys story, and marched my daughter to the principals office.
One of the girls that was up there has been an issue since they started school, multiple times my daughter has come home in tears from things this girl has said and done, and she's done some questionable things, including pulling my daughters pants off several times, ripping her shirt... the list goes on, and doesn't get much better. She was actually transfered to a different class because of the issues. So the only time they see each other is during recess. We've told my daughter to stay away from this girl multiple times, but for whatever reason she doesn't seem to listen. My daughter doesn't have many friends (2 to be exact) at school, so she thinks this girl talking to her makes them friends. My daughter had gotten in trouble multiple times from sticking up for this girl, she's not my daughters friend. She is several choice words that a 7 year old kid shouldn't be called....
Anyway, so I wasn't surprised after I found out how things went down after my daughter listed off the 4 kids involved.
The boy and one girl are just trouble. I did find out an interesting tid bit, the other 3 kids got to finish recess before they were called to the office, and they spoke with the principal at separate times from my daughter. So at no point could my daughter have spoken with the girl that stuck up for her, but the other two had plenty of time to make up a load of bs. Really it should have been over at that point. Sure, she needs punished for kicking the boy, but both the boy and the trouble girl should be in deep do do, for making stuff up.
Needless to say, we have a meeting with the principal tomorrow morning. My wife is furious about all this, so I'm sure tomorrow will be interesting.
Been there. Out of my 3 boys only the oldest ever fought at school. He did it up so good that the younger two slid on through on his reputation. Doesn't hurt that they're all big strapping lads. Now the girl. My skinny little sensitive girly girl. She used to come home crying all the time. Someone or another would pick on her . I'd always tell her to never be mean or a bully but to stand up for herself. She was worried about getting in trouble at school. I told her if she got in trouble for standing up for what's right, then I'd take her for ice cream. I can't control how the school responds not do I care to try. One day a boy who had bullied her was picking on another smaller girl and my girl whupped up on him pretty good. Both kids got suspended. Mine got ice cream. That was 7th grade. Long response here but don't get too upset at the school, it doesn't do any good. The main thing is the life lessons you give your girl as it will shape who she will become. You want her to stand for herself and be independent and strong. Only she can do this for herself. To this day my girl not only takes no crap but she is the champion of the downtrodden. Now in college for social worker and psychology. I credit a certain peanut buster parfait from Dairy Queen for her success. 😉

If you have an 066, then definitely get the 400. Some saws need more break-in than others, and that is especially true for computer-controlled saws. Yep, those chips have some memory and your cutting style, the conditions, all get factored in. It also may take the computer time to process modifications.

If you modify or port the 066 (or have someone knowledgeable, do it for you) you will not need a stronger saw.

You may wish to keep one of the other 60 cc saws as a backup, but the 400 will be lighter and stronger.

I was running my Doc Al ported MS360 today, what a nice saw to run! I usually run my ported 462s instead because they are computer controlled and have clean air filter technology, but that little 360 is a beast for its size.

Had to drop a dead tree (partly rotted), buck it up, and buck up some other downed wood (even noodled some larger rounds to make it easier for the owner). That little 360 did it all w/o any problems.

Sorry, no pics! It was cold and I just wanted to get as much as possible done. None of the wood was pretty anyway!

If you have an 066, then definitely get the 400. Some saws need more break-in than others, and that is especially true for computer-controlled saws. Yep, those chips have some memory and your cutting style, the conditions, all get factored in. It also may take the computer time to process modifications.

If you modify or port the 066 (or have someone knowledgeable, do it for you) you will not need a stronger saw.

You may wish to keep one of the other 60 cc saws as a backup, but the 400 will be lighter and stronger.
Sold the 066 today for $1000, so that’s why I’m even considering the 400C is because I’ve got the extra money for one now. Gonna wait to try my friends 400 on Saturday and see how I like it, might run it again after it’s got some tanks through it

To be honest, I rarely run my 394xp these days, well since my cousin got a band saw mill... anything the 400 can't handle gets the 390xp, anything smaller gets the gz4000. I got more saws then I can shake a stick at and pretty much just use those three anymore. Keep my old 359 around as a back up, which reminds me, I need to get it out and run it again.
By the end of winter I should have 7-8 builds done...all Huskys... I ordered a 5-shelf rack for more storage, lol. Power heads only, bars go on a separate rack...
My wife just shakes her head...

Latest posts

Back