Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure when they restricted handguns here in Canada. I'm 56 and all I ever remember is that not many had them and their use and transport was very limited. Until we moved to the USA, I had never seen a handgun except for on the hip of a cop. For most of the 90's and 2000's I lived immersed in the southern gun culture of Arkansas and Mississippi. I enjoyed owning and shooting both long guns and handguns. We got used to seeing people carrying guns, in the grocery store, their cars.... A fellow I know had split with his wife but they were getting back together. Her ex boyfriend shot her then himself in broad daylight at the business adjacent to where I worked, I heard the shots. A coworker of mine was shot by another coworker of mine. A friend's brother shot himself at a party, blew his brains all over another friend of mine. I had a young man point a gun at me because I had politely asked him to turn his radio down. These are some of my experiences. I'd bet that a lot of Americans have their own list of experiences. I'm not being judgmental or trying to start a debate on gun control. Just sharing personal experience. You can't know what it's like to live somewhere unless you have lived there. Since I've been back in Canada, I've only seen handguns on cops.

I'm not sure when they restricted handguns here in Canada. I'm 56 and all I ever remember is that not many had them and their use and transport was very limited. Until we moved to the USA, I had never seen a handgun except for on the hip of a cop. For most of the 90's and 2000's I lived immersed in the southern gun culture of Arkansas and Mississippi. I enjoyed owning and shooting both long guns and handguns. We got used to seeing people carrying guns, in the grocery store, their cars.... A fellow I know had split with his wife but they were getting back together. Her ex boyfriend shot her then himself in broad daylight at the business adjacent to where I worked, I heard the shots. A coworker of mine was shot by another coworker of mine. A friend's brother shot himself at a party, blew his brains all over another friend of mine. I had a young man point a gun at me because I had politely asked him to turn his radio down. These are some of my experiences. I'd bet that a lot of Americans have their own list of experiences. I'm not being judgmental or trying to start a debate on gun control. Just sharing personal experience. You can't know what it's like to live somewhere unless you have lived there. Since I've been back in Canada, I've only seen handguns on cops.
It's a tricky situation, really If someone wants to harm/kill someone there isn't anything you're going to do to stop them. Guns or otherwise. We can take a look at England, guns are basically non existent, and yet killings, mugging are done with knives,fists, bats etc. We can look at the fbi crime stats, and see it's largely the same here, non gun related deaths/crimes far outstrip gun crimes. It all comes back to its not the weapon, or choice of weapon but the intent of the person.
Guns, no guns doesn't matter.

...and obviously there are no more homicides, suicides, armed robberies, or gang bangers in Canada or other countries with similar restrictions. 😉

I spent some time in workshop getting a start on building a dust filtering cabinet. Trying to make it small enough to fit under the miter saw, which will also make it close to the sander. The two primarly sources od dust in the shop. Other than the furnace filter, I am seeing if I can build this with supplies on hand. Just have to figure out how to adjust the belt tension. I am thinking to mount the motor on a board, attached to hinges, then a big bolt to tilt the hinged board back so some tension is applied or keep it simple and screw in a wedge or block of wood. It does not need much tension.
View attachment 1137206
Probably the weight of the motor would be enough to tension the belt if you set it up right. 🤔

What is

What is taking out the Oaks near you?
I don't know for sure. They look fine, then over about a two week period loose all their leaves and shortly after the bark is falling off with this fungus looking stuff growing on the trunks. Had 2 die out last year on my property, and the neighbors woods behind me have been dying off all summer. We saw the same thing while hunting on state game land. Lots of dead oak with this fungus looking stuff on it.

Looks to be a regular round filled chain, maybe you mean full chisel?
Full chisel it is and sharpened now. I also pulled the muffler off to blast and repaint it. The piston is scored. There was metal transfer to the jug. I was able to clean up the cylinder with a lot of work. I have a new Meteor piston and Caber ring coming in any day now. The muffler will be modified today. I'll be doing a base gasket delete on it. The seller told me he started it a few times with starter fluid. I told him that you can't do that or it will burn up the piston due to lack of oil. I think that is exactly what happened. Under the covers this saw was extremely clean. I think it was in a truck tool box rocking around looking st the bottom of the saw. The front of it still has all the paint on it. Pictures soon.

I don't know for sure. They look fine, then over about a two week period loose all their leaves and shortly after the bark is falling off with this fungus looking stuff growing on the trunks. Had 2 die out last year on my property, and the neighbors woods behind me have been dying off all summer. We saw the same thing while hunting on state game land. Lots of dead oak with this fungus looking stuff on it.
Do you know any arborists near you that could look at them? There is also the Government farm agencies that could look at the trees.

I'm 70 and have never seen anyone here or myself had a gun pointed at them yet. I have had pistols since around 1978.

Wow, some crazy and sad stuff there.

At 44, I have never seen a gun brandished in anger. Granted I am not out much after dark when most of the stuff goes down. Hopefully that streak continues.

Full chisel it is and sharpened now. I also pulled the muffler off to blast and repaint it. The piston is scored. There was metal transfer to the jug. I was able to clean up the cylinder with a lot of work. I have a new Meteor piston and Caber ring coming in any day now. The muffler will be modified today. I'll be doing a base gasket delete on it. The seller told me he started it a few times with starter fluid. I told him that you can't do that or it will burn up the piston due to lack of oil. I think that is exactly what happened. Under the covers this saw was extremely clean. I think it was in a truck tool box rocking around looking st the bottom of the saw. The front of it still has all the paint on it. Pictures soon.
Nice.
I've had good luck with the meteor pistons.
Be sure to check how tight the squish is, most the two series are a bit tight to do a delete. Lots of guys use a beer can gasket. The 262 you can use the 254 gasket as it's 1mm instead of the 2mm from the factory.
I always liked those 254s, but these days I prefer to run a more modern saw.

I was in Ontario for a few months, in the next town over the police arrested a guy for having hand grenades in his garage!

Hand grenades are illegal here in the US, I've never seen a private citizen here have hand grenades! I guess you can get them in Canada though.

Banning something does not stop bad people from doing bad things.

SR

I have had my full carry (concealed) permit since 1982 and have never pulled my gun in anger or seen anyone else do so (and I' a member of the local Fish + Game club, and everyone comes armed). We have almost 600 members.

The former Sheriff of Putnam County used to brag that we were the safest County in the State of NY because we issued the most carry permits.

With the current trend of "freeing all the criminals" I have never felt that it is more important for law abiding citizens to be armed. Self-protection is a RIGHT! If guns are made illegal, only criminals will have them. All the cities with the highest crime rates have suppressed 2nd amendment rights for decades. As a result, law abiding citizens are unable to protect themselves (but criminals have not trouble getting guns).

Owning a firearm is also a responsibility, and there is no replacement for civilized behavior.

If guns were the cause of crime, places like Switzerland and the Isle of Man would not be so safe! (That's right, the Isle of Man refused to be subjected to the British gun restrictions). That said, there is no replacement for civilization no matter where you live. The definition of an "assault weapon" will change with every incident. Was not long ago that the cure to all crime was to ban "Saturday Night Specials", whatever the heck they were (usually defined as affordable handguns).

Nice.
I've had good luck with the meteor pistons.
Be sure to check how tight the squish is, most the two series are a bit tight to do a delete. Lots of guys use a beer can gasket. The 262 you can use the 254 gasket as it's 1mm instead of the 2mm from the factory.
I always liked those 254s, but these days I prefer to run a more modern saw.
Good info. When I did a 268 to 272xp conversion I ended up with .017 for the squish. That saw ran extremely well. I just sold that recently because I had too many saws. Here some photos of the 254xp. No cleaner was used to clean the inside of this saw or the front. I only used a dry rag and an air hose. Here is the scored piston. The skirt side is .006 less than the opposite side. Just a slight bit or wear. LOL The top of the piston above the ring has the same amount of wear.

Attachments

• 20231220_095502.jpg
    20231220_095502.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_095509.jpg
    20231220_095509.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_095537.jpg
    20231220_095537.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_095655.jpg
    20231220_095655.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 0
Do you know any arborists near you that could look at them? There is also the Government farm agencies that could look at the..
Thinking about it, yeah I do. One of my wife's co-workers husband's works for asphlund he does that kind of stuff.
Wow, some crazy and sad stuff there.

At 44, I have never seen a gun brandished in anger. Granted I am not out much after dark when most of the stuff goes down. Hopefully that streak continues.
I have, been to some real pooh holes doing service work. McKeesport was actually the worst, was in Baltimore during their riots and got pretty used to hearing gunshots in Philly. I've only ever drawn once, I was servicing a generator in McKeesport, had to be left in a gate to the grocery store, then the generator had its own fenced in enclosure. Backed the truck up as close as I could and still get the back doors open. Some idiot came in over the fence and started running towards my service truck. Idk if he was armed or not, I'm sure he had evil intent. He was pretty quick to get back over the fence after I drew my block. Cops didn't seem too surprised after they showed up. Thankfully a patrol officer stayed with me till I was fi pushed with my job. I don't miss that bs at all, and I loved being a road guy.
Nobody flinches when we hear a gunshot around my place, just someone target practicing, taking out a neusance critter etc.

I have had my full carry (concealed) permit since 1982 and have never pulled my gun in anger or seen anyone else do so (and I' a member of the local Fish + Game club, and everyone comes armed). We have almost 600 members.

The former Sheriff of Putnam County used to brag that we were the safest County in the State of NY because we issued the most carry permits.

With the current trend of "freeing all the criminals" I have never felt that it is more important for law abiding citizens to be armed. Self-protection is a RIGHT! If guns are made illegal, only criminals will have them. All the cities with the highest crime rates have suppressed 2nd amendment rights for decades. As a result, law abiding citizens are unable to protect themselves (but criminals have not trouble getting guns).

Owning a firearm is also a responsibility, and there is no replacement for civilized behavior.

If guns were the cause of crime, places like Switzerland and the Isle of Man would not be so safe! (That's right, the Isle of Man refused to be subjected to the British gun restrictions). That said, there is no replacement for civilization no matter where you live. The definition of an "assault weapon" will change with every incident. Was not long ago that the cure to all crime was to ban "Saturday Night Specials", whatever the heck they were (usually defined as affordable handguns).
Agree 100 percent. I believe it was Jeff Cooper who said that the criminal does not fear the law so he must be taught to fear his victim.

Agree 100 percent. I believe it was Jeff Cooper who said that the criminal does not fear the law so he must be taught to fear his victim.
Jeff also said, "An armed society is a polite society".

He was also a big fan of Scout Rifles in 308, and handguns in 45 ACP. I miss his articles, and those of several others who are also no longer with us. They were usually more "colorful", less politically correct, and had more real-life experiences than current writers have.

Back