Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a huge mess.
Not for me.... but the trailer had a hole punched in the roof. Two guys, having already removed the tree, were on the roof removing shingles and plywood. It didn't look like the trusses were damaged. It's an old trailer that had a trussed gable roof and vinyl siding installed on it. There was a LOT of moss on the roof. The stump was literally just over the property line of the adjacent property. The roots had rotted off and the tree fell across the trail and onto the trailer. The part laying on the trail was about 18" in diameter. The rail bed is on a bench and the trailer was significantly lower than the rail bed... That configuration probably save the trailer as that tree was big enough that if it hit the trailer solid it probably would have cut it in two.

I also found a rub a short distance from the downed tree... The rub tree was 4+ inches in diameter and the scratches were deep. Gotta be a big buck to make a rub like that... Wonder if he was working on the tree that fell? 😉

IMG_6356.gifIMG_6354.gif

the daily shootings n killings down here are like taxes, inflation and DC-abuse! endless!!... too many guns down here!! now i am beginning to see why...

View attachment 1136752
Guns aren't the problem, idiots are.
Not for me.... but the trailer had a hole punched in the roof. Two guys, having already removed the tree, were on the roof removing shingles and plywood. It didn't look like the trusses were damaged. It's an old trailer that had a trussed gable roof and vinyl siding installed on it. There was a LOT of moss on the roof. The stump was literally just over the property line of the adjacent property. The roots had rotted off and the tree fell across the trail and onto the trailer. The part laying on the trail was about 18" in diameter. The rail bed is on a bench and the trailer was significantly lower than the rail bed... That configuration probably save the trailer as that tree was big enough that if it hit the trailer solid it probably would have cut it in two.

I also found a rub a short distance from the downed tree... The rub tree was 4+ inches in diameter and the scratches were deep. Gotta be a big buck to make a rub like that... Wonder if he was working on the tree that fell? 😉

View attachment 1137088View attachment 1137089
Looks like one I found on my hill 3 weeks ago. I have yet to see the monster that did this.

Attachments

• 20231201_105451.jpg
    20231201_105451.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
I have a gravel driveway, it never froze last year, so plowing was a PITA , temperatures just fluctuating so much ,
As I recall we had that same kind of Winter. I waited for over a month for the ground to freeze so I could drop 7 trees behind my house. I was able to cut the trees up, haul the logs out, chip the brush and grind the stumps up in a few days. Then it got warmer and the ground never froze up again.

I don't know about mud but this guy has quarts of wood for sale. I wonder how much by the gallon? :surprised3:
View attachment 1137110
3 grand for a 5 gallon bucket. Mite be time too get into the firewood business. This guy must have some mighty fine wood. It doesn't look like HVBW tho.

cain-and-rock.jpg

SR

Good evening guys.
Been a bit. Still cranking out the hrs in the truck, working on the barn and hanging with family any other time.
Ready for this winter solstice to happen and the daylight to get a bit longer.
Hope you're all well.
Saving this in case I ever make it to a GTG in Australia :laugh: .

I couldn't hold off any longer. I had to know how this saw ran. First thing I found is that the spark plug was loose and completely fouled out. I put in a new plug, filled up the gas tank, blew out the air filter, primed the engine thru the carb and let it rip. It fired right up and runs great. I'll need to take a good 1/16" off the square tooth chain to sharpen it. Somebody was a ground cutter. It does have as 20" 3/8's bar and chain setup on it.
Looks to be a regular round filled chain, maybe you mean full chisel?

I spent some time in workshop getting a start on building a dust filtering cabinet. Trying to make it small enough to fit under the miter saw, which will also make it close to the sander. The two primarly sources od dust in the shop. Other than the furnace filter, I am seeing if I can build this with supplies on hand. Just have to figure out how to adjust the belt tension. I am thinking to mount the motor on a board, attached to hinges, then a big bolt to tilt the hinged board back so some tension is applied or keep it simple and screw in a wedge or block of wood. It does not need much tension.
20231219_163617-diy-dust-collector.jpg

It's not just EAB killing the Ash trees. I have plenty of them dying from Ash blight. Yes, I have had an expert look at these trees. I have yet to find an EAB hole on any of the trees that I have removed so far. It is really pissing me off. We had so many nice large Ash trees that have died over the last 10 years.
If the ash wasn't bad enough, were starting to loose more and more oak. Soon we ain't gonna have shite for trees standing anymore.

Back